News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,721 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 13, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: PANK! on November 13, 2015, 08:55:10 AM
What if they get just one premier starter--and no other starters--and say, Span?  No trades until next summer.  Fans will freak out with a Hammel and Hendrix back end redux but whataver.

They didn't get much of anything at the non-waiver deadline last year--they actually got more production from what they got at the August deadline (Jackson and Cahill) than at July (Haren and Hunter), but they didn't give anything up, either, and it paid off, in that they won 2 postseason "series" and all of the guys they didn't trade contributed and enhanced their value in the process.

Rather than make a big trade this offseason would they be better off with just signing a stud P, solid CF and everyone else stays for now?  Barring injury,a team with Lester, Arrieta and, say, Greinke in its rotation is likely going to be in contention through June.  So let's see how Baez continues to be the super-utility slick IF guy with Castro being Castro at the keystone, same with George Sun in right.  I think it's become clear that if and when a trade does happen it would be one or two (or three(!)) of these guys invovled  The gamble has paid off so far in that Baez and Soler only enhanced their value by playing (and Castro rescued his value). This year the hope falls more on the Ghleybar/Happ/Almora/McKinney group doing similar.  If two of those guys get hot, then next year the Cubs should be able to get whomever they want to bolster by late July.

Just curious, what makes you drop Greinke and not Price in as the hypothetical big $ pitcher?

Nothing I guess.  I liked the idea of getting Price when the offseason began but I have since gotten a little more excited for Greinke for whatever reason.  Either one's good for me.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2015, 02:39:13 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 13, 2015, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 13, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: PANK! on November 13, 2015, 08:55:10 AM
What if they get just one premier starter--and no other starters--and say, Span?  No trades until next summer.  Fans will freak out with a Hammel and Hendrix back end redux but whataver.

They didn't get much of anything at the non-waiver deadline last year--they actually got more production from what they got at the August deadline (Jackson and Cahill) than at July (Haren and Hunter), but they didn't give anything up, either, and it paid off, in that they won 2 postseason "series" and all of the guys they didn't trade contributed and enhanced their value in the process.

Rather than make a big trade this offseason would they be better off with just signing a stud P, solid CF and everyone else stays for now?  Barring injury,a team with Lester, Arrieta and, say, Greinke in its rotation is likely going to be in contention through June.  So let's see how Baez continues to be the super-utility slick IF guy with Castro being Castro at the keystone, same with George Sun in right.  I think it's become clear that if and when a trade does happen it would be one or two (or three(!)) of these guys invovled  The gamble has paid off so far in that Baez and Soler only enhanced their value by playing (and Castro rescued his value). This year the hope falls more on the Ghleybar/Happ/Almora/McKinney group doing similar.  If two of those guys get hot, then next year the Cubs should be able to get whomever they want to bolster by late July.

Just curious, what makes you drop Greinke and not Price in as the hypothetical big $ pitcher?

Nothing I guess.  I liked the idea of getting Price when the offseason began but I have since gotten a little more excited for Greinke for whatever reason.  Either one's good for me.

Chuck tells me they have the money for both, so that's what I want.

I'm late to this but I'm cool with PANK's hypothetical offseason. However after Castro's late-season surge I think they won't be able to get more for him than they can right now.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 13, 2015, 09:28:41 AM
DPD, not really that relevant but in the first half when Hammel had a 2.98 ERA in his first 16 starts the Cubs went 7-9.

So they actually won more games with Crappy Hammel than Good Hammel. It's a testament to how much better the offense was in the second half, but also that baseball is weird sometimes.

Thank you for this. My managing partner is a proud member of the Church of Pitcher Wins. This will be useful.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »
Boston is picking up Craig Kimbrel from the Padres.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: November 14, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on November 13, 2015, 06:50:32 PM
Boston is picking up Craig Kimbrel from the Padres.

San Diego's stockpiling prospects. Let's hope Jepstink can pry Ross loose now.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: November 17, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »
I got excited for a second

QuoteDavid Ross Likely To Retire After Season

because I was hoping that meant this season, but

QuoteHe explained that he's "going to give it one more run" but that it's "time to be a dad" thereafter.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: November 17, 2015, 08:33:52 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 17, 2015, 08:19:30 AM

QuoteHe explained that he's "going to give it one more run" but that it's "time to be a dad" thereafter.

Why would you think "after the season" meant after 2015 a month after 2015 already ended?  Wouldn't it just be "David Ross retires"?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 17, 2015, 08:33:52 AM
Quote from: Yeti on November 17, 2015, 08:19:30 AM

Why would you think "after the season" meant after 2015 a month after 2015 already ended?  Wouldn't it just be "David Ross retires"?

Allow the man his moment of optimism, will you?
M'lady.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: November 17, 2015, 12:42:45 PM »
So, Jose Fernandez anyone?

I'd give up Baez/Castro, Gleyber, McKinney, and whatever minor league pitcher they want.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: November 17, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 17, 2015, 12:42:45 PM

I'd give up Baez/Castro, Gleyber, McKinney, and whatever minor league pitcher they want.

I imagine Soler or Baez would be the main piece. Wonder if the deal could be expanded to bring back Ozuna to play CF.

Do that, sign Heyward, profit.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 17, 2015, 12:57:38 PM

I imagine Soler or Baez would be the main piece. Wonder if the deal could be expanded to bring back Ozuna to play CF.

Why on earth trade a young arm with that much promise that is still cheap? Makes no sense even for the Marlins.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2015, 01:46:32 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 17, 2015, 01:01:14 PM

Why on earth trade a young arm with that much promise that is still cheap? Makes no sense even for the Marlins.

They don't really have that many assets. I'm sure if they had much else to swap they'd rather do it. But by the time they're relevant by any means at all, Fernandez would have more miles on the odometer and less value due to his impending free agency. Holding on to him accomplishes very little unless they have some unknown method for talent acquisition. It would behoove them to stockpile prospects and get busy sucking/drafting so they can return to the competitive fray in 3-4 years.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »

Scott Boras is to The Marlins what Kings of Leon are to Oleg.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 17, 2015, 01:52:23 PM

They thought he was dope until everybody else jumped on his dick and then they complained that he'd sold out and shit on every subsequent thing he did?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on November 17, 2015, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: Oleg on November 17, 2015, 01:52:23 PM

They thought he was dope until everybody else jumped on his dick and then they complained that he'd sold out and shit on every subsequent thing he did?

That's a bit more detail than I was going for but, yeah...that about nails it on the head.