News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,731 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #495 on: December 01, 2015, 05:47:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 01, 2015, 05:43:08 PM
Quote from: PANK! on December 01, 2015, 05:28:44 PM
So is there anything that would prevent the Cubs from re-signing Fowler?  I'm merely a caveman with only a vague understanding of the free agency rules so I figured I'll risk getting pointed at and laughed at by asking the question.

Apparently they have no money but that's cool because would you want any of these free agents at those prices?  Woof too rich for my blood

That doesn't answer my question. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: December 01, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 01, 2015, 05:47:31 PM
So is there anything that would prevent the Cubs from re-signing Fowler?  I'm merely a caveman with only a vague understanding of the free agency rules so I figured I'll risk getting pointed at and laughed at by asking the question.

Apparently they have no money but that's cool because would you want any of these free agents at those prices?  Woof too rich for my blood

There is not.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: December 01, 2015, 08:05:47 PM »
Quote from: Eli on December 01, 2015, 07:16:12 PM
Quote from: PANK! on December 01, 2015, 05:47:31 PM

There is not.

He's pretty much the only person whose BMI even falls within the scale of people who can play CF.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: December 01, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »
Coghlan and Travis Wood for Shelby Miller? Did Fork write this too?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: December 02, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »

Declining a qualifying offer does not mean that the free agent can't re-sign with his previous team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs bring Fowler back.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:47 AM »
To be fair, Fork offering Coghlan/Wood for Miller is only the third dumbest trade proposal involving Shelby Miller I heard yesterday, with the Braves apparently real offers of Shelby Miller for AJ Pollock, or Shelby Miller/Arodys Vizcaino for Pollock and one of the Diamondbacks top ten prospects taking the cake.

At least Fork understood WAR enough to know the Cubs should offer a package that was worth more wins than Miller alone was, the Braves apparently decided to offer Miller's 3.4 WAR as a middle of the rotation starter for a guy that was worth nearly 7 wins in CF.

It's going to take more effort than it's worth to talk them down from thinking Miller is worth Pollock to thinking Miller is worth something less than Jorge Soler. Pass.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:13 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 01, 2015, 10:18:26 PM
Coghlan and Travis Wood for Shelby Miller? Did Fork write this too?

Sports Mockery is a partial birth abortion of a web site.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: December 02, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 02, 2015, 07:50:47 AM
To be fair, Fork offering Coghlan/Wood for Miller is only the third dumbest trade proposal involving Shelby Miller I heard yesterday, with the Braves apparently real offers of Shelby Miller for AJ Pollock, or Shelby Miller/Arodys Vizcaino for Pollock and one of the Diamondbacks top ten prospects taking the cake.

At least Fork understood WAR enough to know the Cubs should offer a package that was worth more wins than Miller alone was, the Braves apparently decided to offer Miller's 3.4 WAR as a middle of the rotation starter for a guy that was worth nearly 7 wins in CF.

It's going to take more effort than it's worth to talk them down from thinking Miller is worth Pollock to thinking Miller is worth something less than Jorge Soler. Pass.

Just spitballing, but would anyone here trade Schwarber or Russell for Pollock?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 02, 2015, 08:36:28 AM

Not me. SKO would.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: December 02, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »

I'd rather they keep those two and re-sign Fowler myself.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: December 02, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

I'd probably trade Schwarber for Pollock. I don't know about Russell.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: December 02, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 02, 2015, 08:39:42 AM

DPD, but I'd probably rather they do that as well, I think Eli was just trying to determine how much we valued Schwarber or Russell. Hard to say that a nearly 7 WAR CF isn't worth either of those guys, frankly.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: December 02, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 02, 2015, 08:49:00 AM

DPD, but I'd probably rather they do that as well, I think Eli was just trying to determine how much we valued Schwarber or Russell. Hard to say that a nearly 7 WAR CF isn't worth either of those guys, frankly.

In his prime, with three years of team control left. I don't think most people realize how good he is.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: December 02, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 02, 2015, 08:55:15 AM

In his prime, with three years of team control left. I don't think most people realize how good he is.

No he's definitely underrated. Hell it took this year for most people to realize Paul Goldschmidt was as good as he is. Not a lot of attention paid to the Diamondbacks. Probably rightfully so.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »

Agreed, but the improvement from Fowler to Pollock doesn't quite cover the dropoff from Schwarber to...Coghlan?

I guess Russell would make more sense since Baez could replace him, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Russell may still develop into a special player.  Since the Cubs haven't spent any money yet I'd prefer they keep their younguns for now and buy themselves a solid CF like Fowler or Span.