News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,738 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #585 on: December 08, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 08, 2015, 01:50:19 AM
Easy, guys.  Cahill might not be the skinniest guy in the clubhouse, but he's no Baez.

Does this mean Cahill can play CF on his off days?
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: December 08, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »
Since there are tons of rumors about Shelby Miller, if you want to get excited about potentially acquiring him, Jeff Sullivan compares him to Arrieta right before Arrieta broke out.

QuoteThe best cutter last year, among starting pitchers, belonged to Jake Arrieta. The second-best cutter belonged to Corey Kluber. The third-best belonged to Shelby Miller. Out of nowhere, the pitch didn't just fold itself in to Miller's mix; it became maybe the best thing he throws.

QuoteI really don't want to make too much of this, because it's not the sort of thing you can just expect, but there are some parallels between Miller and Jake Arrieta, right as he was preparing to break out. Arrieta has turned into one of the top five or so starting pitchers in the game, and no team would figure Miller's in line to follow, but you could see him on a similar general path, where last year might've been kind of like Arrieta's 2013. Miller has shown the signs, and now it's time to put it all together. His repertoire has become similar to Arrieta's. Arrieta throws his slider/cutter hybrid a bit faster, but Miller showed a velocity uptick in the second half. Maybe he won't become a seven-win pitcher, but he could become a five-win pitcher. He seems to have what he needs.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: December 08, 2015, 08:58:07 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 08, 2015, 08:52:37 AM
Since there are tons of rumors about Shelby Miller, if you want to get excited about potentially acquiring him, Jeff Sullivan compares him to Arrieta right before Arrieta broke out.

QuoteThe best cutter last year, among starting pitchers, belonged to Jake Arrieta. The second-best cutter belonged to Corey Kluber. The third-best belonged to Shelby Miller. Out of nowhere, the pitch didn't just fold itself in to Miller's mix; it became maybe the best thing he throws.

QuoteI really don't want to make too much of this, because it's not the sort of thing you can just expect, but there are some parallels between Miller and Jake Arrieta, right as he was preparing to break out. Arrieta has turned into one of the top five or so starting pitchers in the game, and no team would figure Miller's in line to follow, but you could see him on a similar general path, where last year might've been kind of like Arrieta's 2013. Miller has shown the signs, and now it's time to put it all together. His repertoire has become similar to Arrieta's. Arrieta throws his slider/cutter hybrid a bit faster, but Miller showed a velocity uptick in the second half. Maybe he won't become a seven-win pitcher, but he could become a five-win pitcher. He seems to have what he needs.

Fine, fine. Coghlan, Wood, AND Almora.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 08, 2015, 08:58:07 AM

Fine, fine. Coghlan, Wood, AND Almora.

Anybody but LaZobrist.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: December 08, 2015, 09:14:12 AM »

You know...there would be the added--albeit superfluous-benefit of Miller blossoming and shoving it up St. Louis' hiney for a good while.  Maybe then the BFIB will be upset with Oscar Tavares for murdering his girlfriend.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: December 08, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
Apparently Rosenthal just said on MLBN that the Cubs are out of the Miller sweepstakes so someone else can enjoy Jake Arrieta 2.0 I suppose.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: December 08, 2015, 09:16:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 08, 2015, 09:14:21 AM
Apparently Rosenthal just said on MLBN that the Cubs are out of the Miller sweepstakes so someone else can enjoy Jake Arrieta 2.0 I suppose.

Well then there goes my rationalizing/bargaining/acceptance of losing Soler or Baez.  Phew.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: December 08, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 08, 2015, 09:16:22 AM

Well then there goes my rationalizing/bargaining/acceptance of losing Soler or Baez.  Phew.

I'm sure those names are still coming up in any trade with Tampa or Cleveland or San Diego for pitching.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: December 08, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »

Hopefully they can talk to Cleveland about Carrasco. (non SKOpoke) I think Baez and QSM can get that done.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: December 08, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 08, 2015, 09:30:44 AM

Hopefully they can talk to Cleveland about Carrasco. (non SKOpoke) I think Baez and QSM can get that done.

I'll be much less butthurt if Baez or Soler go to an American League team.  I don't even want to see Castro with the Reds or some shit like that.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: December 08, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »

I think they want to hang onto Hendricks. My harebrained theory is they'll trade for a young arm, dump Hammel's salary and sign Heyward.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: December 08, 2015, 10:39:13 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 08, 2015, 10:00:26 AM

I think they want to hang onto Hendricks. My harebrained theory is they'll trade for a young arm, dump Hammel's salary and sign Heyward.

I think they'd do it for Carrasco, that would mean 3 5-win pitchers at the top of the rotation.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #597 on: December 08, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »

Yeah I don't think they trade Hendricks. The key thing that Jepstink keeps harping on is pitching depth. They sound like they'd be more inclined to add another Hendicks-ish #3/4 type than to trade Hendricks as part of a package to get a 1/2 type. It seems like the breakdowns at the end of last year convinced them more than anything that they need 6 quality starting pitchers more than they need 3 really good ones and meh at the bottom of the rotation. I can't say I disagree.

I'd honestly be fine with whatever Rays starter they can pry without giving up Soler, or if they can get Gausman from the Orioles without giving up Baez or Soler (either seems like too much to give up for a guy an unproven starter, however talented).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: December 08, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »

DPD, but this is a good thought. I bet there's a tanking team out there willing to take on one year of Hammel's salary if the Cubs offer actual prospects along with him, especially since said team could probably flip Hammel anyway if he has another first half like he did last year.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #599 on: December 08, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 08, 2015, 10:45:13 AM

DPD, but this is a good thought. I bet there's a tanking team out there willing to take on one year of Hammel's salary if the Cubs offer actual prospects along with him, especially since said team could probably flip Hammel anyway if he has another first half like he did last year.

Or at the very least, even tanking teams need to fill out a roster.
TIME TO POST!