News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,691 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #900 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 08, 2016, 03:02:31 PM
Say what you want about BRett, but here's some good analysis on Cubs' exit velocities.

I think he's a good blogger and this is a good blog post.

[fire emoji]

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #901 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 08, 2016, 03:33:46 PM
Say what you want about BRett, but here's some good analysis on Cubs' exit velocities.

[fire emoji]

I like Brett and while I used to get somewhat annoyed by his Pollyanna attitude and the weird personal info I know now that it irritates the living shit out of Sterling and therefore I approve
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #902 on: January 08, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 08, 2016, 03:39:14 PM

[fire emoji]

I like Brett and while I used to get somewhat annoyed by his Pollyanna attitude and the weird personal info I know now that it irritates the living shit out of Sterling and therefore I approve

This.

I've been a record a couple times on this at least, but I am generally pretty pro both Brett and Arguello (not that they're the same at all, but in terms of guys pumping out lots of Cubs info.)

And the fact that he pisses off Sterling is definitely one of the few things SKO and I can find common ground on.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #903 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 08, 2016, 03:48:50 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

I've been a record a couple times on this at least, but I am generally pretty pro both Brett and Arguello (not that they're the same at all, but in terms of guys pumping out lots of Cubs info.)

And the fact that he pisses off Sterling is definitely one of the few things SKO and I can find common ground on.

They're both good. They've also made it so Al isn't a black hole of Cubs blogging - imagine if he was the only option? Horrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #904 on: January 08, 2016, 04:42:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 08, 2016, 04:10:35 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

They're both good. They've also made it so Al isn't a black hole of Cubs blogging - imagine if he was the only option? Horrible.

Imagine if Andy or Kerm had blogs.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #905 on: January 08, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 08, 2016, 04:42:15 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 08, 2016, 04:10:35 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

Imagine if Andy or Kerm had blogs.

Who the hell is Kerm
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #906 on: January 08, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »

[fire emoji]

This.

Love you guys. Sterling is dead (acute tinnitus) and his opinions sucked anyway; long live Saul.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #907 on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:50 PM »

I think it would be good to know what the stats were for some of the more peak and valley weeks and if they are what one would expect.

For example, looking at Russell's chart, it seems he had a huge peak the week of August 30 (about 9 MPH harder hit than league average).  Looking at that week, he hit 3 of his home runs but his BABiP was .222.  That seems interesting.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #908 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 08, 2016, 06:17:38 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

Love you guys. Sterling is dead (acute tinnitus) and his opinions sucked anyway; long live Saul.

Shut up, Saul. You're a douche.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #909 on: January 08, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 08, 2016, 07:40:02 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

Someone already did that, move to strike.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #910 on: January 08, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
DPD. Joe Sheehan's latest argues the Angels are wasting Mike Trout's career, having failed to make the postseason in recent years despite his being a consistent 9-win player. The only team that could pull off such a trade (or at least not be laughed out of the room), in Joe's estimation, is the Cubs.

QuoteThe idea of the Cubs trading for Trout is appealing because a center fielder is the one thing the Cubs neither have in the majors nor coming through he minors. The Cubs are one of the few teams that could make an offer for the best player in baseball that wouldn't be laughed out of the room, owing to their young talent at the MLB level and still-strong minor-league system. Trading for Trout, or maybe Andrew McCutchen, is the one big swing the Cubs have left in building an all-time great team.

Looking back, I am inclined to agree that the offer would be light, not because it's unreasonable, but because the value returned, or perhaps rather the shape of the value returned, wouldn't work for the Angels. The package above splits the baby; it includes players who can help the Angels in 2016, like Kyle Schwarber, Jorge Soler and Kyle Hendricks. Much of the value, though, is in others who won't be contributing for another few years, like Gleyber Torres and Ian Happ. If the Angels were to trade Mike Trout, they would probably need to pick a lane in doing so -- players, or prospects. I can defend the proposed package, in part because I think highly of Torres, but I can see where the Angels' fans -- and new GM Billy Eppler -- would say that it's not enough.

Despite all that the Angels, despite the overwhelming negative reaction to my idea, would have to take an offer like this seriously. They've played the last four seasons with Trout averaging nine bWAR a year, and they've yet to win a postseason series. They've made the playoffs once. Trout is surrounded by a team that without him would struggle to reach .500, that is mostly past prime, that seems to have maxed out its payroll, that has a farm system decimated by years of poor drafting, terrible international work and the desperate trading of their few real prospects in an effort to patch the major-league team's holes.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #911 on: January 08, 2016, 08:46:41 PM »
QuoteIf Rodriguez and Griffey could be traded, Trout certainly can be. It's something the Angels should consider. Their current team isn't very good even with Trout, and it seems more likely to get worse than better. Trout is a superstar, but he's changing as a player just as his salary climbs. The Cubs are a natural trade partner bursting at the seams with talent. Maybe my initial suggestion was light, but I'm pretty sure the idea behind it -- the Angels should be looking to trade Mike Trout, and the Cubs are the right fit -- is correct.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #912 on: January 08, 2016, 08:47:14 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 08, 2016, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 08, 2016, 07:40:02 PM

[fire emoji]

This.

Someone already did that, move to strike.

Motion granted.
M'lady.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #913 on: January 09, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 08, 2016, 08:45:51 PM
DPD. Joe Sheehan's latest argues the Angels are wasting Mike Trout's career, having failed to make the postseason in recent years despite his being a consistent 9-win player. The only team that could pull off such a trade (or at least not be laughed out of the room), in Joe's estimation, is the Cubs.

QuoteThe idea of the Cubs trading for Trout is appealing because a center fielder is the one thing the Cubs neither have in the majors nor coming through he minors. The Cubs are one of the few teams that could make an offer for the best player in baseball that wouldn't be laughed out of the room, owing to their young talent at the MLB level and still-strong minor-league system. Trading for Trout, or maybe Andrew McCutchen, is the one big swing the Cubs have left in building an all-time great team.

Looking back, I am inclined to agree that the offer would be light, not because it's unreasonable, but because the value returned, or perhaps rather the shape of the value returned, wouldn't work for the Angels. The package above splits the baby; it includes players who can help the Angels in 2016, like Kyle Schwarber, Jorge Soler and Kyle Hendricks. Much of the value, though, is in others who won't be contributing for another few years, like Gleyber Torres and Ian Happ. If the Angels were to trade Mike Trout, they would probably need to pick a lane in doing so -- players, or prospects. I can defend the proposed package, in part because I think highly of Torres, but I can see where the Angels' fans -- and new GM Billy Eppler -- would say that it's not enough.

Despite all that the Angels, despite the overwhelming negative reaction to my idea, would have to take an offer like this seriously. They've played the last four seasons with Trout averaging nine bWAR a year, and they've yet to win a postseason series. They've made the playoffs once. Trout is surrounded by a team that without him would struggle to reach .500, that is mostly past prime, that seems to have maxed out its payroll, that has a farm system decimated by years of poor drafting, terrible international work and the desperate trading of their few real prospects in an effort to patch the major-league team's holes.

So is the proposed trade Kyle Schwarber, Jorge Soler, Kyle Hendricks, Gleyber Torres and Ian Happ for Trout? Lots of references to "the offer" but you omit the actual proposed offer.

If that's the offer, sign me up.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #914 on: January 09, 2016, 01:31:46 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on January 09, 2016, 12:45:04 AM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on January 08, 2016, 08:45:51 PM

So is the proposed trade Kyle Schwarber, Jorge Soler, Kyle Hendricks, Gleyber Torres and Ian Happ for Trout? Lots of references to "the offer" but you omit the actual proposed offer.

If that's the offer, sign me up.

Sorry. There's almost no precision whatsoever trying to highlight text in the email app. All the names were mentioned, just not directly:

QuoteLast month, just after the 30 Teams project, I suggested a trade package the Cubs could assemble to acquire Mike Trout:

"@joe_sheehan: Schwarber, Soler, Hendricks, Torres and Happ for Trout. Who says no? #cubs #angels"