News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,723 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #1065 on: February 25, 2016, 07:02:25 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on February 25, 2016, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on February 25, 2016, 05:55:45 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 25, 2016, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on February 25, 2016, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 25, 2016, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 25, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 25, 2016, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: D. Doluntap on February 25, 2016, 12:11:54 PM
Fowler is back? Ok.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/cubs-re-sign-dexter-fowler.html

So, at this point, Soler is the odd man out.

Would Soler, Baez and Hendricks make an attractive package to the Rays for a pitcher?

They had 5823 non-pitcher plate appearances last year.  There's plenty to go around.  No one needs to be traded and no one will be the odd man out.

Even if one cares about such things as "opening day lineup", they open in Anaheim with a DH.

This. By my count the Cubs gave Junior Lake,  Austin Jackson,  Mack Seizure, Mike Baxter,  and Alcantara 319 PA last year, and no doubt tried to actually avoid giving them anymore than absolutely necessary.  There'll be plenty of opportunities for Soler and Baez.

That's probably the best point yet that I haven't seen on the tweets.

Let's not forget about Herrera (132) and Denorfia (231).

And Chris Coghlan (440)

503 actually. And those PA's would be presumably taken by Heyward as the starter.

The point was that Soler and Baez will basically both be supersubs so it might be more optimal to trade them for pitching help as there won't be enough PA's for them.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1066 on: February 25, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 25, 2016, 07:02:25 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on February 25, 2016, 06:11:26 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on February 25, 2016, 05:55:45 PM
Quote from: Slaky on February 25, 2016, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: SKO on February 25, 2016, 05:14:24 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 25, 2016, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 25, 2016, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on February 25, 2016, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: D. Doluntap on February 25, 2016, 12:11:54 PM
Fowler is back? Ok.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/cubs-re-sign-dexter-fowler.html

So, at this point, Soler is the odd man out.

Would Soler, Baez and Hendricks make an attractive package to the Rays for a pitcher?

They had 5823 non-pitcher plate appearances last year.  There's plenty to go around.  No one needs to be traded and no one will be the odd man out.

Even if one cares about such things as "opening day lineup", they open in Anaheim with a DH.

This. By my count the Cubs gave Junior Lake,  Austin Jackson,  Mack Seizure, Mike Baxter,  and Alcantara 319 PA last year, and no doubt tried to actually avoid giving them anymore than absolutely necessary.  There'll be plenty of opportunities for Soler and Baez.

That's probably the best point yet that I haven't seen on the tweets.

Let's not forget about Herrera (132) and Denorfia (231).

And Chris Coghlan (440)

503 actually. And those PA's would be presumably taken by Heyward as the starter.

The point was that Soler and Baez will basically both be supersubs so it might be more optimal to trade them for pitching help as there won't be enough PA's for them.
I think Soler is still the long term plan, Fowler's asking price just fell to the point where it would have been dumb not to sign him on a team trying to ensure a pennant at all costs. Fowler will be gone in a year and Jorge will have had another year to develop and still be, what, 24?

I mean Jorge and Javy are both on the table if someone offers a top tier starter but I think we all agreed that if anyone was offering one of those for either of them they'd already be gone.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1067 on: March 06, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
Speaking of players accepting less to be a Cub, Trevor Cahill apparently had an offer to start for the Pirates, and there is some indication that he may have had a 2 year offer on the table (although he says he doesn't know about the 2 year thing), but he instead chose to stay in Chicago and pitch in relief for the Cubs.

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant, but when in the history of baseball have so many players knowingly taken less in order to be on a team? I read Cal Ripken's autobiography back in high school and he said that, as much as he loved playing in Baltimore, he owed it to the player's union to seek as much money as he could get, in order to ensure that a standard was set for other players in the league to earn more. Maybe that's a "concern" held only by players who draw top dollar, but it's still surprising that any player anywhere would take less than he could earn just to be in a certain place. It's extra surprising that so many of those players are Cubs.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1068 on: March 06, 2016, 08:43:32 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 06, 2016, 07:41:59 AM
Speaking of players accepting less to be a Cub, Trevor Cahill apparently had an offer to start for the Pirates, and there is some indication that he may have had a 2 year offer on the table (although he says he doesn't know about the 2 year thing), but he instead chose to stay in Chicago and pitch in relief for the Cubs.

Maybe I'm just totally ignorant, but when in the history of baseball have so many players knowingly taken less in order to be on a team? I read Cal Ripken's autobiography back in high school and he said that, as much as he loved playing in Baltimore, he owed it to the player's union to seek as much money as he could get, in order to ensure that a standard was set for other players in the league to earn more. Maybe that's a "concern" held only by players who draw top dollar, but it's still surprising that any player anywhere would take less than he could earn just to be in a certain place. It's extra surprising that so many of those players are Cubs.

Ripken was a Hall of Fame caliber player, and his place in the MLB salary structure was significantly different. If he took less money, then any player looking for more than Ripken could hear from GMs, "Why should I pay you that, when Ripken only makes this?" I don't think any GM is going to throw their Romeo over Trevor Cahill, a guy who got DFAed multiple times last season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1069 on: March 06, 2016, 10:09:59 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 06, 2016, 08:43:32 AM

Ripken was a Hall of Fame caliber player, and his place in the MLB salary structure was significantly different. If he took less money, then any player looking for more than Ripken could hear from GMs, "Why should I pay you that, when Ripken only makes this?" I don't think any GM is going to throw their Romeo over Trevor Cahill, a guy who got DFAed multiple times last season.
Andre Dawson.  (After Andy Pafko and Ernie, maybe he was my favorite Cub. Well, maybe after Phil Cavaretta, Hank Sauer and Lou Boudreau)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1070 on: March 06, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 06, 2016, 10:09:59 AM

Andre Dawson.  (After Andy Pafko and Ernie, maybe he was my favorite Cub. Well, maybe after Phil Cavaretta, Hank Sauer and Lou Boudreau)

Except Dawson was dealing in a collusive atmosphere.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1071 on: March 06, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »

Andre Dawson.  (After Andy Pafko and Ernie, maybe he was my favorite Cub. Well, maybe after Phil Cavaretta, Hank Sauer and Lou Boudreau)

In Dawson's case, owners were colluding to destroy free agency and he was, I'm sure, compensated later after the lawsuit.

It's great, in any case, that the Cubs are a team that people want to play for. They really have the chance to build something significant, and long-lasting.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1072 on: March 06, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »

Also, did Boudreau actually play for the Cubs?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1073 on: March 06, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 06, 2016, 10:19:41 AM

Also, did Boudreau actually play for the Cubs?
No, but he had a fascinating career with them.  He was a broadcaster for them and left the broadcast booth to manage when Charlie Grimm unceremoniously quit, and then went back to broadcasting.  His record was anything but stellar as the Cubs manager, but you have to admire his commitment.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1074 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »

I'm not sure that I'd read too much into the whole "taking less money" narrative.

Heyward: Reports indicated that he turned down somewhere around $200MM from The Cardinals and The Nats?  The Cubs gave him two opt-outs, which are probably worth a shitload of dough.
Zobrist: He left,...what, $4MM on the table over 4 years?  Sure that buys a lot of bibles but who knows how accurate those reports were or if the offers had shit like deferred money or whatever.
Cahill: If he really chose The Cubs one year, relief ace deal over a Pirates offer of two years to be a starter with their own pitching coach wizard, well, I'm, not sure how smart that really was.
Fowler: Sure, he left $20MM on the table.  But, the value of testing free agency next year is probably pretty damn valuable, too...maybe worth more than the $20MM he left on the table.

Who else?  make no mistake, The Cubs have a $150MM payroll this year and it's not because players are necessarily taking less but because The Cubs are just simply being creative with their contracts.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1075 on: March 07, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 07, 2016, 09:04:01 AM

I'm not sure that I'd read too much into the whole "taking less money" narrative.

Heyward: Reports indicated that he turned down somewhere around $200MM from The Cardinals and The Nats?  The Cubs gave him two opt-outs, which are probably worth a shitload of dough.
Zobrist: He left,...what, $4MM on the table over 4 years?  Sure that buys a lot of bibles but who knows how accurate those reports were or if the offers had shit like deferred money or whatever.
Cahill: If he really chose The Cubs one year, relief ace deal over a Pirates offer of two years to be a starter with their own pitching coach wizard, well, I'm, not sure how smart that really was.
Fowler: Sure, he left $20MM on the table.  But, the value of testing free agency next year is probably pretty damn valuable, too...maybe worth more than the $20MM he left on the table.

Who else?  make no mistake, The Cubs have a $150MM payroll this year and it's not because players are necessarily taking less but because The Cubs are just simply being creative with their contracts.

If you are to believe Jon Heyman, both the Nats and Cards actually did offer Heyward the opt outs (although the Nats offered deferred money like they did with Scherzer), so fuck you, the best free agent on the market took less money to be a Cub than a Cardinal, and this narrative stands.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1076 on: March 07, 2016, 09:11:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 07, 2016, 09:06:39 AM

If you are to believe Jon Heyman, both the Nats and Cards actually did offer Heyward the opt outs (although the Nats offered deferred money like they did with Scherzer), so fuck you, the best free agent on the market took less money to be a Cub than a Cardinal, and this narrative stands.

I'm good with it either way.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1077 on: March 07, 2016, 09:15:45 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 07, 2016, 09:11:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 07, 2016, 09:06:39 AM

I'm good with it either way.

Also you left the mouthbreather off of your list, and I have heard the Cardinals offered him more money than the Cubs did as well, but he wanted to eat chicken and drink beer with Lester again.

So I think it's fair to keep saying guys are taking less money to be a Cub.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1078 on: March 07, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »

Having 4 guys (Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler) in the lineup who are all years from free agency doesn't hurt either.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1079 on: March 07, 2016, 10:08:42 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 07, 2016, 09:48:49 AM

Having 4 guys (Bryant, Russell, Schwarber, Soler) in the lineup who are all years from free agency doesn't hurt either.

You need to add Baez to that group above (I assume that group is made up of guys who are pre-arb, although Soler is getting his anyway).  There are also others who playing for well-below market value, due to arbitration or otherwise: Arrieta, Rizzo, Warren, Rondon, Strop, etc.

And, one fairly expensive contract that is still on the books and the dude ain't even on the team anymore...EJax.