News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,738 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #1185 on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:05 PM »
Quote from: R-V on March 30, 2016, 01:46:24 PM
Good stuff from Gammons. There's even a blurb about Fork's buddy Andreoli.

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-joe-maddon-and-managing-human-beings/

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons
Home Gammons Files Hit List Video About
You are here: Home / Gammons Files / Peter Gammons: Joe Maddon and managing human beings
Peter Gammons: Joe Maddon and managing human beings
March 29, 2016 by Peter Gammons"

Who wrote the article? Could it have been Peter Gammons?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1186 on: March 30, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 30, 2016, 02:24:05 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons
You are here: Home / Gammons Files / Peter Gammons: Joe Maddon and managing human beings

It's a good article why do you care about this part.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1187 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on March 30, 2016, 03:28:37 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

The first four things listed are the URL, logo, menu and breadcrumbs, which are repetitive on basically any website. And Gammons has other writers besides himself, so that's why there's a byline.

Also, what you said.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1188 on: March 30, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

The first four things listed are the URL, logo, menu and breadcrumbs, which are repetitive on basically any website. And Gammons has other writers besides himself, so that's why there's a byline.

Also, what you said.

There weren't any typos for him to point out, so he had to find something else to bitch about.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1189 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 30, 2016, 03:48:35 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 30, 2016, 03:30:41 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Also, what you said.

There weren't any typos for him to point out, so he had to find something else to bitch about.

Agreed. I don't get this Archer post.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1190 on: March 30, 2016, 04:06:57 PM »

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

It's not, though. You have statphobia ("not tic-tac-toeing through five relievers with analytically correct match ups in the final three innings of a showdown game").

You have incomplete foundations for opinions (no mention that Starlin was playing and especially hitting like dogshit for almost the entire season and that's why Maddon made the move, not because he's some kind of motivational savant who knew exactly how to get Starlin hot).

You have bizarre, lazy sportswriter cliches and tics (David Ross's Jeteresque Victory Tour? Huey Lewis is old and these kids are young, yuk yuk yuk?).

You have nonexistent editing ("He wants them to embrace the pressure their talent in a baseball-insane environment" ... what?)

Multiple, way too many, and Hawk-esque Gene Mauch references (who last managed in 1987 and has been dead for 11 years).

Plain doe-eyed incorrectness (Cubs ownership doesn't want to be considered stars? Tom Ricketts makes it a point to roam around the park every single game, especially national ones, and pose for pictures, and they did an episode of freaking Undercover Boss).

Regular incorrectness or general laziness (John Lackey "beat the Cubs in the 2015 NLDS" - but no mention that he beat them once in game one and then got rocked for 4 earned in three innings in the clinching game four).

Dramatic overreaches (Addison Russell already the "best player" in Arizona besides Mike Trout? Oh come on).

And what is a heartline and why are David Ross and Ryan Kalish (seriously, WTF with all the talk of Kalish, he's nobody and not even on the radar to even think about cracking this roster ... oh right, he's former Red Sox, which always merits a mention!) heartlines, whatever that is?

There was quite a bit to like but a lot more that wasn't. If I'm the only asshole who got progressively more annoyed the more I read, then fine.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1191 on: March 30, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 30, 2016, 04:06:57 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

It's not, though. You have statphobia ("not tic-tac-toeing through five relievers with analytically correct match ups in the final three innings of a showdown game").

You have incomplete foundations for opinions (no mention that Starlin was playing and especially hitting like dogshit for almost the entire season and that's why Maddon made the move, not because he's some kind of motivational savant who knew exactly how to get Starlin hot).

You have bizarre, lazy sportswriter cliches and tics (David Ross's Jeteresque Victory Tour? Huey Lewis is old and these kids are young, yuk yuk yuk?).

You have nonexistent editing ("He wants them to embrace the pressure their talent in a baseball-insane environment" ... what?)

Multiple, way too many, and Hawk-esque Gene Mauch references (who last managed in 1987 and has been dead for 11 years).

Plain doe-eyed incorrectness (Cubs ownership doesn't want to be considered stars? Tom Ricketts makes it a point to roam around the park every single game, especially national ones, and pose for pictures, and they did an episode of freaking Undercover Boss).

Regular incorrectness or general laziness (John Lackey "beat the Cubs in the 2015 NLDS" - but no mention that he beat them once in game one and then got rocked for 4 earned in three innings in the clinching game four).

Dramatic overreaches (Addison Russell already the "best player" in Arizona besides Mike Trout? Oh come on).

And what is a heartline and why are David Ross and Ryan Kalish (seriously, WTF with all the talk of Kalish, he's nobody and not even on the radar to even think about cracking this roster ... oh right, he's former Red Sox, which always merits a mention!) heartlines, whatever that is?

There was quite a bit to like but a lot more that wasn't. If I'm the only asshole who got progressively more annoyed the more I read, then fine.

Okay. But why do you care about the stuff you mentioned in your first post?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1192 on: March 30, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Quote from: flannj on March 30, 2016, 04:19:03 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Because I noticed it was time to post but I didn't want to type a whole list. You know how it is. Ask Fork.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1193 on: March 30, 2016, 05:04:36 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 30, 2016, 05:01:40 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Because I noticed it was time to post but I didn't want to type a whole list. You know how it is. Ask Fork.

Well that makes perfect sense.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1194 on: March 30, 2016, 05:21:15 PM »

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Please tell me we still have Eli's original masterpiece TIME TO POST flowchart.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1195 on: March 30, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 30, 2016, 05:21:15 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Yes please. And if I'm being honest I figured someone would remember my previous BUTTHURT about Peter Gammons being called a "legendary journalist," and memes are memes and that's important.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1196 on: March 30, 2016, 06:10:31 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 30, 2016, 05:52:51 PM
Quote from: PANK! on March 30, 2016, 05:21:15 PM

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Yes please. And if I'm being honest I figured someone would remember my previous BUTTHURT about Peter Gammons being called a "legendary journalist," and memes are memes and that's important.
"Legendary journalist"?  I read it too fast.  I thought it said "Alleged journalist".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1197 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:37 PM »

*taps link, page loads*

"gammonsdaily.com
Daily Gammons

Look.  This is some ridiculous shit.  I'm not a Peter Gammons fan but your criticism is basically a whole bunch of picking nits...and out of context to boot.

Gammons is 70 years old and went through a stroke.  Maybe you should forgive him for being a statphobe (even if he's much, much more enlightened than a whole host of mainstream writers and analysts who are far younger and less good at writing than he is).
Your second criticism about incomplete foundations is exactly the same thing that you're complaining about (not to mention your absolute miss of the point of the Castro example).
Bizarre and lazy cliches?  God forbid someone makes a joke that doesn't land (Ross) or fails to be ultra-contemporary (Epstink invited Heuy Lewis to camp?  What, Berl Ives wasn't available?)..
Ooh...look, I caught some faulty editing on a blog post!  I can't believe you don't work for the Chicago Manual of Style (does that thing still exist)?
Good work completely missing the point about Mauch.
Your Ricketts thing is about the only thing I found weird about the article but, holy shit, care to split some finer hairs?
I'm not really sure how good Russell has been in ST.  I'm not sure I care.  Whatever.  I'd rather think that he was the best player in the world.  I can't believe Gammons didn't use 7000 words of analytics to prove his point.
I have no idea what your problem is with Kalish or Ross or whatever.  You're the first person ever to point out that Gammons is from Boston and has a Red Sox slant to him.  Did you know that the current president of The Cubs used to be the GM there?

Like I said, I'm no big fan of Gammons.  But your "takedown" reeks of pettiness.  I get it, it's not some amazing investigative journalism.  It's a fucking feel-good story about the manager of, what I assume is, your favorite baseball team.  Perhaps you should adjust your expectations.  If you can't get some joy out of that story 6 days before the season opens, I don't know what to tell you.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1198 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
He spelled Scott Servais' name wrong after the Maddon story. Tsk tsk

Peter has some quality butt-tweets though

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1199 on: March 30, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 30, 2016, 09:58:37 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 30, 2016, 02:24:05 PMThere was quite a bit to like but a lot more that wasn't. If I'm the only asshole who got progressively more annoyed the more I read, then fine.

Look.  This is some ridiculous shit.  I'm not a Peter Gammons fan but your criticism is basically a whole bunch of picking nits...and out of context to boot.

Gammons is 70 years old and went through a stroke.  Maybe you should forgive him for being a statphobe (even if he's much, much more enlightened than a whole host of mainstream writers and analysts who are far younger and less good at writing than he is).
Your second criticism about incomplete foundations is exactly the same thing that you're complaining about (not to mention your absolute miss of the point of the Castro example).
Bizarre and lazy cliches?  God forbid someone makes a joke that doesn't land (Ross) or fails to be ultra-contemporary (Epstink invited Heuy Lewis to camp?  What, Berl Ives wasn't available?)..
Ooh...look, I caught some faulty editing on a blog post!  I can't believe you don't work for the Chicago Manual of Style (does that thing still exist)?
Good work completely missing the point about Mauch.
Your Ricketts thing is about the only thing I found weird about the article but, holy shit, care to split some finer hairs?
I'm not really sure how good Russell has been in ST.  I'm not sure I care.  Whatever.  I'd rather think that he was the best player in the world.  I can't believe Gammons didn't use 7000 words of analytics to prove his point.
I have no idea what your problem is with Kalish or Ross or whatever.  You're the first person ever to point out that Gammons is from Boston and has a Red Sox slant to him.  Did you know that the current president of The Cubs used to be the GM there?

Like I said, I'm no big fan of Gammons.  But your "takedown" reeks of pettiness.  I get it, it's not some amazing investigative journalism.  It's a fucking feel-good story about the manager of, what I assume is, your favorite baseball team.  Perhaps you should adjust your expectations.  If you can't get some joy out of that story 6 days before the season opens, I don't know what to tell you.

You say tomato, I say tomahto, you say takedown, I say I was asked what I didn't like so I told them and apparently that was the wrong thing to do so let's call the whole thing off. I'm sorry I didn't like what you liked.