News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kyle SKOwarber Hulking Thread of Sploogepower  ( 72,318 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kyle SKOwarber Hulking Thread of Sploogepower
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 16, 2015, 03:41:00 PM
DPD,  but keeping Castillo over Ross wouldn't have been "planning on the worst case scenario" if would have been "not getting rid of a player to make room for a guy who is worse". That it's come back to bite them with a Montero injury is just salt on the wound

Relax. Soon, Yoervis Medina will come back from Bugtussle to drink blood of the non-believers and all will be well.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 16, 2015, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 16, 2015, 03:26:05 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 16, 2015, 03:21:41 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2015, 03:05:09 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 16, 2015, 02:31:35 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 16, 2015, 02:07:32 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 16, 2015, 02:05:45 PM
Reports are that he's getting called up.

BOING

Yep. Here tomorrow.

There's no way he's become an elite catcher or even a good catcher with so few games at Iowa so I guess this is an acknowledgement that they can't do without his bat any longer. This must be why Joe choked Chris Coghlan's consecutive games streak to death ... now there's nothing in Kyle's way.

Or he's being showcased.

Or, like Bryant, he's being called up a bit sooner because there's an injury.

Up until now I hadn't seen anything about the extent of Montero's injury, but I just got the MLB.com alert that says he's out for six weeks.  That makes more sense (although honestly they could have called him up just for the bat and I wouldn't question it).

Sounds like Schwarber will split time with Teagarden as the main catchers, with Ross catching Lester obviously. I would assume Schwarber will get some starts in LF when he's not catching.

Still think a 6 week injury to Montero sucks if it means 4 or so days of Teagarden/Ross a week. Scwharber will help the offense to an extent, but if he's in left does Schwarber>Coghlan cancel out the drop off from Montero to Rossgarden? Probably not.

Would be nice if they hadn't gotten rid of Beef and the 900+ OPS he's got over the last month in Arizona.

Yes.  Teams should always prepare for the worst-case scenario.  You sound like my wife.

They never planned on keeping Castillo the moment they traded for Montero.  Let it go.

This was stupid, and is still stupid. Once it was obvious that Welington's trade value was "AAA reliever" they should have kept him and gotten rid of Ross. Thinking that a 30+ year old catcher who has seen his numbers drop precipitously the last two years due to various nagging injuries might eventually give way and leave you with David Ross is hardly a "the sky is falling", scenario. It's a fairly logical sequence of events, one so obvious that Andy predicted it back in April.

Okay that's fair.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »

BOING

Yep. Here tomorrow.

There's no way he's become an elite catcher or even a good catcher with so few games at Iowa so I guess this is an acknowledgement that they can't do without his bat any longer. This must be why Joe choked Chris Coghlan's consecutive games streak to death ... now there's nothing in Kyle's way.

Or he's being showcased.

Up until now I hadn't seen anything about the extent of Montero's injury, but I just got the MLB.com alert that says he's out for six weeks.  That makes more sense (although honestly they could have called him up just for the bat and I wouldn't question it).

Sounds like Schwarber will split time with Teagarden as the main catchers, with Ross catching Lester obviously. I would assume Schwarber will get some starts in LF when he's not catching.

Still think a 6 week injury to Montero sucks if it means 4 or so days of Teagarden/Ross a week. Scwharber will help the offense to an extent, but if he's in left when he's not catching does Schwarber>Coghlan cancel out the drop off from Montero to Rossgarden? Probably not.

Would be nice if they hadn't gotten rid of Beef and the 900+ OPS he's got over the last month in Arizona.

You don't think Teagarden gets sent back to Iowa if Schwarber looks passable behind the plate?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 16, 2015, 04:04:47 PM

BOING

Yep. Here tomorrow.

Or he's being showcased.

Still think a 6 week injury to Montero sucks if it means 4 or so days of Teagarden/Ross a week. Scwharber will help the offense to an extent, but if he's in left when he's not catching does Schwarber>Coghlan cancel out the drop off from Montero to Rossgarden? Probably not.

You don't think Teagarden gets sent back to Iowa if Schwarber looks passable behind the plate?

Sure but the whole damn reason he was in Iowa in the first place was that as of now he's reportedly far from passable back there.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 16, 2015, 04:11:30 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 16, 2015, 04:04:47 PM

BOING

Yep. Here tomorrow.

Or he's being showcased.

Sure but the whole damn reason he was in Iowa in the first place was that as of now he's reportedly far from passable back there.

It all comes down to ROSS ANGER. That guy is going to cost some team a World Series someday.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
I'm confused - is SKO mad they called him up?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 16, 2015, 09:28:07 PM

No, very excited. They said he won't be the full time catcher though, so we may still get a healthy dose of Teagarden and Ross for 6+ weeks and I was just saying I'd rather have Schwarber and Beef than Schwarber and that two headed monster of suck.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2015, 07:23:40 AM »
But, anywho, fuck it. Peter Gammons compared Kyle Schwarber to Jason Varitek and said he's going to stick at catcher, by God, so let's get ready to fuck shit up. DONGS FOR EVERYONE. Bryant Dongs! Soler Dongs! Schwarber Dongs! A cavalcade of young, promising dongs.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 07:23:40 AM
But, anywho, fuck it. Peter Gammons compared Kyle Schwarber to Jason Varitek and said he's going to stick at catcher, by God, so let's get ready to fuck shit up. DONGS FOR EVERYONE. Bryant Dongs! Soler Dongs! Schwarber Dongs! A cavalcade of young, promising dongs.

Since Montero is out for 6 weeks, which pretty much takes us to September 1 and roster expansion, Schwarber's here to stay. Not exactly sticking his neck out there. And of course Gammons compared him to a Red Sox player, as opposed to, say, Lance Parrish - a below-average defensive catcher with a huge bat.

Let's see how much he can learn from Hank White, and how quickly he can do it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 06:57:55 AM

No, very excited. They said he won't be the full time catcher though, so we may still get a healthy dose of Teagarden and Ross for 6+ weeks and I was just saying I'd rather have Schwarber and Beef than Schwarber and that two headed monster of suck.

I don't care at all where he plays as long as his bat is in the lineup. Again, I realize this means nothing to most of you but having David Ross around to help him is probably not the worst thing in the world, assuming the catching tools Schwarber has to seriously improve upon aren't physical.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 17, 2015, 08:19:38 AM

I don't care at all where he plays as long as his bat is in the lineup. Again, I realize this means nothing to most of you but having David Ross around to help him is probably not the worst thing in the world, assuming the catching tools Schwarber has to seriously improve upon aren't physical.

Maybe Hank White and Ross can team up to teach Kyle how to catch and have a bunch of zany misadventures like it's an episode of My Two Dads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2015, 09:00:13 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 17, 2015, 08:19:38 AM

Maybe Hank White and Ross can team up to teach Kyle how to catch and have a bunch of zany misadventures like it's an episode of My Two Dads.

This, I approve of.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 17, 2015, 08:17:18 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 17, 2015, 07:23:40 AM

Since Montero is out for 6 weeks, which pretty much takes us to September 1 and roster expansion, Schwarber's here to stay. Not exactly sticking his neck out there. And of course Gammons compared him to a Red Sox player, as opposed to, say, Lance Parrish - a below-average defensive catcher with a huge bat.

Let's see how much he can learn from Hank White, and how quickly he can do it.

I mean, this is before my time for the most part, but I call bullshit on your assessment.

Note the 3 Gold Gloves there, which could be bullshit, but 3 times?

That's some bad defensive value.

I think this guy below is what our beloved Kyle will become and I'm ok with it

5 bitcoins to the guy who guesses the mystery catcher

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
What Fork's trying to say is that the Tigers used Lance Parrish to set up the pass.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 17, 2015, 09:02:33 AM
5 bitcoins to the guy who guesses the mystery catcher

Piazza, I imagine.