News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kyle SKOwarber Hulking Thread of Sploogepower  ( 72,319 )

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kyle SKOwarber Hulking Thread of Sploogepower
« Reply #495 on: November 19, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »
Quote from: smg on November 19, 2015, 05:49:34 PM
My son wants a Schwarber jersey. Bad investment?  Going to be traded before the credit card bill shows up?  I think Arrietta is second choice.

How old is the kid?  5?  You figure you need a jersey with assured staying power for a good 3-5 years before the explanation of why his favorite player is no longer on The Cubs is complicated with a jersey.

In my mind, I would only feel comfortable with saying that this current team only has about 4 players who are, with near certainty, going to be Cubs in that time span: Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, and Lester.

Now, certainly, they're not going to trade away both Schwarber and Soler, I would think.  But, you can't really say which one would be dealt; or, they both could stay.  And, I think that's also true of a lot of other combinations (Baez and Castro, Baez and Soler, perhaps, etc).

Does that make sense?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 19, 2015, 11:28:34 PM
My son wants a Schwarber jersey. Bad investment?  Going to be traded before the credit card bill shows up?  I think Arrietta is second choice.

How old is the kid?  5?  You figure you need a jersey with assured staying power for a good 3-5 years before the explanation of why his favorite player is no longer on The Cubs is complicated with a jersey.

In my mind, I would only feel comfortable with saying that this current team only has about 4 players who are, with near certainty, going to be Cubs in that time span: Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, and Lester.

Now, certainly, they're not going to trade away both Schwarber and Soler, I would think.  But, you can't really say which one would be dealt; or, they both could stay.  And, I think that's also true of a lot of other combinations (Baez and Castro, Baez and Soler, perhaps, etc).

Does that make sense?

I'd say it's more likely than not that, by the beginning of the 2018 season, both Schwarber and Arrieta are no longer with the Cubs.

Kris Bryant is the correct answer to this question.  Kris Bryant.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: November 20, 2015, 06:25:50 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 20, 2015, 01:13:50 AM

Does that make sense?

I'd say it's more increasingly likely than not that, by the beginning of the 2018 season, both Schwarber and Arrieta are no longer with the Cubs.

Get the verbiage right, at least.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

smg

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: November 20, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
Thanks guys. The almost 5-year-old has deemed Bryant's jersey acceptable.  :). Most of the games he saw this year were those early playoff games; hence the Schwarber love.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: November 20, 2015, 07:11:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 20, 2015, 06:25:50 AM

Does that make sense?

I'd say it's more increasingly likely than not that, by the beginning of the 2018 season, both Schwarber and Arrieta are no longer with the Cubs the National League will have the designated hitter.

Kyle's not going anywhere.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 20, 2015, 07:11:55 AM

Does that make sense?

I'd say it's more increasingly likely than not that, by the beginning of the 2018 season, both Schwarber and Arrieta are no longer with the Cubs the National League will have the designated hitter.

Welp, it was nice knowing him, I guess.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: November 20, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

Does that make sense?

I agree.  Even if the NL doesn't get a DH, at his age and strength he can play a passable LF for at least 5 years.  I want to stab you in the neck with Schwarber's bat shard for the mere suggestion, Oleg.   
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: November 20, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »
My son wants a Schwarber jersey. Bad investment?  Going to be traded before the credit card bill shows up? 

How old is the kid? 
Does that make sense?

I counted four questions.  Kris Bryant is not the answer to any of them.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: November 20, 2015, 09:58:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 20, 2015, 09:41:01 AM

Does that make sense?

I agree.  Even if the NL doesn't get a DH, at his age and strength he can play a passable LF for at least 5 years.  I want to stab you in the neck with Schwarber's bat shard for the mere suggestion, Oleg.   

If The Cubs got offered Harvey or Syndergaard plus something else for Schwarber, would you be upset at that trade?  I might be but if something of that ilk came along, I'd think Schwarber would have a chance at getting dealt.

I don't want him gone but if I was making a $100+ investment in a jersey for a kid, I'd probably want better odds than that of the player sticking around.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: November 20, 2015, 10:02:05 AM »
Even if the NL doesn't get a DH, at his age and strength he can play a passable LF for at least 5 years. 

Five years? No way. He may make a quick improvement next year from getting heavy coaching/reps, but physically he's only going to get worse from here, especially with his bigger body type.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: November 20, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 20, 2015, 10:02:05 AM
Even if the NL doesn't get a DH, at his age and strength he can play a passable LF for at least 5 years. 

Five years? No way. He may make a quick improvement next year from getting heavy coaching/reps, but physically he's only going to get worse from here, especially with his bigger body type.

#BMI

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: November 20, 2015, 10:16:44 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 20, 2015, 09:58:34 AM

If The Cubs got offered Harvey or Syndergaard plus something else for Schwarber, would you be upset at that trade?  I might be but if something of that ilk came along, I'd think Schwarber would have a chance at getting dealt.

I don't want him gone but if I was making a $100+ investment in a jersey for a kid, I'd probably want better odds than that of the player sticking around.

If the Mets are offering one of those guys, then yeah. But why would they be?

As far as making an investment in a jersey for a kid...there's a process that you are unfamiliar with here. Mainly, he'll grow out of it in a year.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: November 20, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »

Obligatory

Hi

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: November 20, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 20, 2015, 10:16:44 AM

As far as making an investment in a jersey for a kid...there's a process that you are unfamiliar with here. Mainly, he'll grow out of it in a year.

Maybe because they'll realize they'll need to score runs as well as prevent them?  I don't know.

smg

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 20, 2015, 10:16:44 AM

Eh ...  Jerseys are big and loose, and we're ordering it a size up. I think it'll last longer than a year. It wouldn't be the end of the world if a guy were traded in a year or two, but it would kind of suck if he was traded before opening day. I wouldn't put it past Theo.