News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Nice Choice, Jim.  ( 27,057 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Nice Choice, Jim.
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »

If Castillo is servicable, great - cut Hill and you've upgraded a component. If he's not, send him down, hope he catches fire and maybe someone offers something for him.

Not giving a player a shot on a team that's circling the drain harkens back to Kimm playing the ass-eater so he could get his 30 HR rather than seeing what Hee-Seop Choi could do.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 17, 2011, 01:17:50 PM

If Castillo is servicable, great - cut Hill and you've upgraded a component. If he's not, send him down, hope he catches fire and maybe someone offers something for him.

Not giving a player a shot on a team that's circling the drain harkens back to Kimm playing the ass-eater so he could get his 30 HR rather than seeing what Hee-Seop Choi could do.

It's fucking May. And we're talking about about what four games that Koyie has played since Castillo got called up. Jesus Christ. Like I said. Let's see how this is going a week from now.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2011, 01:21:32 PM

It's fucking May. And we're talking about about what four games that Koyie has played since Castillo got called up. Jesus Christ.

I just got here, but it kinda seems like you're asshurt.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on May 17, 2011, 01:22:19 PM

It's fucking May. And we're talking about about what four games that Koyie has played since Castillo got called up. Jesus Christ.

Meatballery gets me to it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2011, 01:22:56 PM

Man, if only there were a way to combine asshurt AND meatballery...

Some sort of Rootin' Tootin' angry Irishman who orders us to PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION...
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »

Making an argument that a decent, 24 year old prospect gets playing time over some dipshit who we know can't hit is meatballery?  That's dumb.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 17, 2011, 01:33:30 PM

Making an argument that a decent, 24 year old prospect gets playing time over some dipshit who we know can't hit is meatballery?  That's dumb.

If it were at another position on the field, your point would be taken. And for the third time, if this is still happening next week, I'll agree with you. Also: 18 K's in 49 AAA at bats and people are pining for this dude like he's Thurman Munson.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:20 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2011, 01:03:29 PM
Castillo was 12-for-49 .245/.315/.723 with two dongs and 18 Ks at Iowa. I'm sure he's way better than Koyie Hill but I don't think his hot spring is any reason to get asshurt over his lack of playing time right now. Do as you must, though. I will continue to be asshurt over everything else.

Hell, let's assume (incorrectly) that he'd replicate his AAA numbers with the Cubs. Is that slight uptick from Koyie's 5-for-30 .167/.242/.367 enough reason to justify a possibly precipitous dropoff behind the dish? I don't believe it is.

"Slight uptick?"
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »
Castillo was 12-for-49 .245/.315/.723 with two dongs and 18 Ks at Iowa. I'm sure he's way better than Koyie Hill but I don't think his hot spring is any reason to get asshurt over his lack of playing time right now. Do as you must, though. I will continue to be asshurt over everything else.

Hell, let's assume (incorrectly) that he'd replicate his AAA numbers with the Cubs. Is that slight uptick from Koyie's 5-for-30 .167/.242/.367 enough reason to justify a possibly precipitous dropoff behind the dish? I don't believe it is.

I'm afraid Koyie is not the defensive stalwart you make him out to be.  Maybe it's because he's white, gritty, and can't hit for shit but I remain unconvinced as to his defensive prowess.

Take Saturday night's game, please.  Bases loaded, 2 out 1-0 game.  Batter hits a chopper that rolls about 15 feet to between the pitchers' mound and third base.  The ball is either the pitcher's or the catcher's.  However, with the bases loaded, if Koyie Hill is the defensive Einstein that you apparently think he is, than he refrains froms spastically dashing out there (only to ultimately make a PANK throw that pulled Pena off the bag)  and, instead, stays home, plants his foot on the plate and waits for Davis to toss him the ball for the force at home, and get out of the inning.  Now, that would be an unusually smart play that I wouldn't expect a lot of catchers to make.  However, from a slap-hitting sally who had the nerve to call out his teammates last season for eschewing fundamental baseball, it seems that this is exactly the type of play he would make in order to justify his mystifying reputation as some sort of defensive savant.

He fucking sucks in every aspect of baseball.  And life.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 01:46:20 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2011, 01:44:15 PM

I'm afraid Koyie is not the defensive stalwart you make him out to be.  Maybe it's because he's white, gritty, and can't hit for shit but I remain unconvinced as to his defensive prowess.

Take Saturday night's game, please.  Bases loaded, 2 out 1-0 game.  Batter hits a chopper that rolls about 15 feet to between the pitchers' mound and third base.  The ball is either the pitcher's or the catcher's.  However, with the bases loaded, if Koyie Hill is the defensive Einstein that you apparently think he is, than he refrains froms spastically dashing out there (only to ultimately make a PANK throw that pulled Pena off the bag)  and, instead, stays home, plants his foot on the plate and waits for Davis to toss him the ball for the force at home, and get out of the inning.  Now, that would be an unusually smart play that I wouldn't expect a lot of catchers to make.  However, from a slap-hitting sally who had the nerve to call out his teammates last season for eschewing fundamental baseball, it seems that this is exactly the type of play he would make in order to justify his mystifying reputation as some sort of defensive savant.

I was at the game Saturday. It was the most miserable playing condition that anybody asked about it had ever played in. But yeah, I'll see your Chuck-like confirmation bias and get back to you in one week. After I've seen how this all plays out.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2011, 01:46:20 PM

I was at the game Saturday. It was the most miserable playing condition that anybody asked about it had ever played in. But yeah, I'll see your Chuck-like confirmation bias and get back to you in one week. After I've seen how this all plays out.
A life-size cutout of Koyie Hill sits in my living room, in front of my Jose Macias mural

Strawman'd.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 17, 2011, 01:49:34 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 17, 2011, 01:46:20 PM

I was at the game Saturday. It was the most miserable playing condition that anybody asked about it had ever played in. But yeah, I'll see your Chuck-like confirmation bias and get back to you in one week. After I've seen how this all lays out. A life-size cutout of Koyie Hill sits in my living room, in front of my Jose Macias mural[/quote]

Strawman'd.

I lol'd. But I'm honestly not saying that I would rather see Koyie play than Castillo right now. I'm just saying that I'm not throwing Quade under the bus for waiting a few games to give the kid regular playing time. That's all I'm saying. All I'm saying. That and Castillo probably sucks.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
Is there some point where we can mention that Castillo's now had several spring trainings with the Cubs, has been in the minors for six seasons (been at AAA for all or parts of 3 of those) and had seven starts last year when he had a .983 OPS? Small sample size indeed, but not like, ohmygodthisislikerushingKoreyPattersonalloveragain.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2011, 01:52:34 PM
Is there some point where we can mention that Castillo's now had several spring trainings with the Cubs, has been in the minors for six seasons (been at AAA for all or parts of 3 of those) and had seven starts last year when he had a .983 OPS? Small sample size indeed, but not like, ohmygodthisislikerushingKoreyPattersonalloveragain.

How about in, like, an hour?  That'd be good for me.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 17, 2011, 01:52:34 PM

Dude, don't you listen to Apex?  The man has struck out 18 times in 3 weeks at Iowa.  Plus, he's probably a communist.  And a pederast.  And an all-around awful person.  And there's no reason to see if he might be able to outperform the mouse fart that is Koyie Hill's very existence.