News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: On the demise of WGN  ( 5,307 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: On the demise of WGN
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 19, 2013, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 19, 2013, 10:21:57 AM
Quote from: RedBeard on February 18, 2013, 10:54:56 AM
Valid points - but I have to pick at one of them. MLB.tv is fairly inexpensive, and Extra Innings can be - but it depends on your provider and where you are. I'm not going to start a Comcast sucks rant, because that horse has been beaten numerous times way past rigor mortis.

However, the nice thing about WGN on a cable system or a dish based system is that shmucks like those of us that live in a genuinely rural area can still watch the games (at least the ones not on CSN Chicago) on a plan barely over basic. MLB.tv relies on a decent internet connection - which you aren't going to get in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. And Extra Innings can be kinda spendy if you make the average wages a rural shmuck makes - so WGN, while a relic, still serves a purpose.

That said - I guess I really don't give a fuck what they do, I'll figure out a way to get the games - MLB audio isn't that expensive either, when I can get in a 3G area - but I just thought I'd throw in a $.02 as to why they do still provide a decent service, whether around the country, or just in the further reaches of downstate.

Where the hell do you live that you can't get a decent internet connection or 3G?

It's 2013 for God's sake.

I spent 6 years working with a company that was bringing 50 Mbps Internet speeds to places like Bartlesville, Oklahoma and Ohatchee, Alabama, so it's not like it can't be done.

You better have a hell of a view, wherever you are.

I'm sure there are some places in Inuit Alaska where 3G connections are hard to find, you elitist jerk!!

And those places likely have a hell of a view.

Of Redbeard having sex with a harp seal.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

RedBeard

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
Heh... Harp seal.

I do have a good view - but reliable internet connection is a bitch here. WildBlue isn't going to cut it for video streaming. I also agree that it is 2013 - and you would think that everywhere would be connected by now - however, I've noticed that in the little shithole community I've been in for the past four years that it has been 1955 since 1936.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I spent 6 years working with a company that was bringing 50 Mbps Internet speeds to places like Bartlesville, Oklahoma and Ohatchee, Alabama, so it's not like it can't be done.

Pen's sold Nazi pizza to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook and, by gum, it put them on the map!
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 12:03:41 PM »
Quote from: RedBeard on February 19, 2013, 10:49:40 AM
Heh... Harp seal.

I do have a good view - but reliable internet connection is a bitch here. WildBlue isn't going to cut it for video streaming. I also agree that it is 2013 - and you would think that everywhere would be connected by now - however, I've noticed that in the little shithole community I've been in for the past four years that it has been 1955 since 1936.

Satellite Internet...ho-lee crap.  

The only times I've had to deal with that is in RVs in the middle of nowhere.  

I think streaming the Cubs is probably the least of your problems.

That said...welcome back.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 19, 2013, 12:03:41 PM
Heh... Harp seal.

No wonder he died.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 19, 2013, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 19, 2013, 12:03:41 PM
Heh... Harp seal.

No wonder he died.

I admit it, I LOLed.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM

Pen's sold Nazi pizza to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook and, by gum, it put them on the map!

Validated.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 19, 2013, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on February 19, 2013, 12:00:35 PM

Validated.

I think I understand about half of this reference.

Maybe a third.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »
At least Yellon has lent his media expertise to the subject.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 19, 2013, 11:44:43 PM

QuoteSo if you're outside of Chicago and like your WGN-TV games, I wouldn't panic.

Whew! That was a close one. Thank God that Al is here to bring some level-headed...

QuoteYet.

FUCK
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Bologna BreathWPWR is owned by Fox; presumably, they might be willing to bid, and they do carry some Chicago Fire soccer games, but this seems like a longshot.

Al is painfully unaware that at last year's Fox Affiliates Meeting, the Network promised local affiliates MOAR SPORTZ, NASCAR and MLB specifically. I'm pretty sure they'd love to come to the affiliates this year with a Cubs deal in their pocket.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
Quote from: Fork on February 20, 2013, 02:07:53 PM

Quote from: Bologna BreathWPWR is owned by Fox; presumably, they might be willing to bid, and they do carry some Chicago Fire soccer games, but this seems like a longshot.

Al is painfully unaware that at last year's Fox Affiliates Meeting, the Network promised local affiliates MOAR SPORTZ, NASCAR and MLB specifically. I'm pretty sure they'd love to come to the affiliates this year with a Cubs deal in their pocket.

Presumably they might be willing to do something but probably not.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 20, 2013, 05:14:11 PM

Al thought about equivocating, but hasn't decided yet.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »
Quote from: Fork on February 20, 2013, 05:49:52 PM

He's such a fuckball, Jesus.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 20, 2013, 08:26:54 PM
Quote from: Fork on February 20, 2013, 05:49:52 PM

He's such a fuckball, Jesus.

Al or Jesus?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.