News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread  ( 171,941 )

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Unresolved Bullpen Angst Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2009, 11:24:45 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 11:20:46 AM
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on May 11, 2009, 11:16:42 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: Andy on May 11, 2009, 09:56:06 AM
Fox had a 1.59 ERA at Iowa, so, it's Iowa. 

Lou basically said that Wells is staying (though if he craps out in his next start all bets are off) and either he or Marshall will go to the bullpen when Z comes back.  Samardzija will be back at some point.  Ascanio showed promise last year but he got rocked progressively harder as May turned into June and then July.  But he's only "24".

I would think there's enough there to cobble together a bullpen, just not with Patton or Cotts.  Holy shit does Neal Cotts suck.

Jesus, what does that poor kid have to do to stick in the rotation?  Pray that Carmen Pignatiello can replace Neal Cotts as the only shitty lefty in the bullpen?

He needs to play for a GM who has a fucking clue how to put together a bullpen. Marshall's done more than enough earn a rotation spot.

I agree.  But, right now I'd much rather have a combination of Randy Wells/Jeff Samardzija/Kevin Foster/Ruben Quevedo as the fifth starter and Sean Marshall taking over for Cotts in the pen.  Because, y'know, Cotts sucks and all.

I agree. It just makes sense to have the better pitcher throw 60 good innings as a LOOGY and have a bunch of hoopleheads throw 180 cancer innings as the fifth starter.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »
RV loves Neal Cotts.  But, really...you'd rather have Cotts come in the seventh and totally destroy Marshall's six innings by lighting rocket fuel with a flamethrower against one hitter than have one of those hoopleheads out there?

Don't take this the wrong way.  I like Sean Marshall as the fifth starter--a lot.  But, if he moving to the bullpen in the short term gets Neal Cotts removed from Earth, I'm all for it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on May 11, 2009, 11:33:26 AM
RV loves Neal Cotts.

The point has eluded you.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
  I like Sean Marshall as the fifth starter--a lot.  But, if he moving to the bullpen in the short term gets Neal Cotts removed from Earth, I'm all for it.

I can agree with this.
I think Marshall certainly deserves to be the 5th starter, but I deserve to watch a team with a better bullpen.
I'll take my needs over Marshall's.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2009, 11:53:11 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 11, 2009, 11:42:28 AM
  I like Sean Marshall as the fifth starter--a lot.  But, if he moving to the bullpen in the short term gets Neal Cotts removed from Earth, I'm all for it.

I can agree with this.
I think Marshall certainly deserves to be the 5th starter, but I deserve to watch a team with a better bullpen.
I'll take my needs over Marshall's.

I would agree with this if there was an obvious rotation replacement for Marshall waiting in the wings. But there isn't.

Samardzija? That goober has been bad out of the bullpen since that first month last season, needs time to stretch out, and may not be good anyway.
Wells? I'm still trying to figure out how he didn't give up 7 runs on Friday. If this guy sticks in the majors I'll eat the stupid flat brim off Heilman's hat.
Ascanio? Had some good starts in Iowa, but it looks like they think the bullpen is the way to go for him.
Mitch Atkins? Now we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And this whole idea of moving Marshall out of the rotation is based on the assumption that Harden is going to stay healthy. You move Marshall to the bullpen, Harden gets hurt, then you're looking at two of these fartfaces in the rotation.

All that being said, I agree that Neal Cotts needs to be sent to a death camp. I'm willing to give Rube Waddell a shot at this point.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2009, 12:15:56 PM »
If you guys don't think moving Marshall to the pen means we're getting Peavy, you all are retards.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: May 11, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »
Moving the guy who is currently their second-best starter out of the rotation to be a LOOGY is really, really, really stupid.  I don't care who replaces Cotts, but it shouldn't be Marshall.  I honestly don't even care if they go with an all-righty bullpen.  Who is their best left-handed option in the minors right now?  Alfred Mathes?  Jesus.
Hire Jim Essian!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on May 11, 2009, 12:23:57 PM
Moving the guy who is currently their second-best starter out of the rotation to be a LOOGY is really, really, really stupid.  I don't care who replaces Cotts, but it shouldn't be Marshall.  I honestly don't even care if they go with an all-righty bullpen.  Who is their best left-handed option in the minors right now?  Alfred Mathes?  Jesus.

Jesus is lefthanded?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 11, 2009, 12:30:09 PM

Jesus is lefthanded?

He jerked off with his right hand on occasion. A man like that could do it all.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »

Jesus is lefthanded?

Word has it he can't throw a curveball.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »

I believe Guzman has some nasty stats against lefty hitters (too busy/lazy to look them up and post them, but I believe I heard Brenly discussing that last week).
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on May 11, 2009, 12:34:05 PM

Jesus is lefthanded?

Word has it he can't throw hit a curveball.

Let's not start a holy war'ed.
Hire Jim Essian!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

Jesus is lefthanded?

The only other Jewish lefties who come to mind are Koufax and Holtzman, and they both had good curveballs. It's all that reading right-to-left.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 11, 2009, 02:01:41 PM

Jesus is lefthanded?

The only other Jewish lefties who come to mind are Koufax and Holtzman, and they both had good curveballs. It's all that reading right-to-left.

I'll forgive you for not having these guys come to mind since you're not a full-fledged MOT.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
I'd rather see Cotts in the bullpen too.

As long as that bullpen belongs to the Brewers.*

*- I would have said Cardinals but LaRussa would just pump Cotts full of roids and he'd wind up pitching the all-star game.