News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Poll

The latest Hall of Fame ballot is out. You can vote for up to 10. Who do you vote for?

Harold Baines
Jay Bell
Bert Blyleven
David Cone
Andre Dawson
Ron Gant
Mark Grace
Rickey Henderson
Tommy John
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Jesse Orosco
Dave Parker
Dan Plesac
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell
Greg Vaughn
Mo Vaughn
Matt Williams

Voting closed: December 11, 2008, 03:01:23 PM

Author Topic: Who's a Hall of Famer?  ( 59,239 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Who's a Hall of Famer?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 02:41:17 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 01, 2008, 07:09:32 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 01, 2008, 03:02:48 PM
Henderson, Raines, Blyleven, McGwire, and Dawson.

Mine'd

Goddamnit, I hate when I agree with Chuck.

No one else for McGwire?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
I don't think McGwire was good enough to be in the Hall of Fame.

Early in his career he was a nice player with good power, but nothing extraordinary, in fact he had some terrible batting averages .201, a couple in the .230s.  Then, he started getting hurt in '92.  All of a sudden in '96 he's enormous and starts putting up huge numbers like 52 homers in 130 games.  He obviously had even huger years in in '97, '98 and '99, but he started getting hurt again in '00 and he hit .187 in '01 and he was gone.

He was never a particularly good first baseman, he never hit more than 27 doubles in a season.  He was Adam Dunn on steroids, literally.  A really good player, who was fun to watch take batting practice.  I don't care if none of the steroid guys ever get in, but the two who I think only put up numbers remotely close to HOF caliber because of 'roids were McGwire and Sosa, and I hope they rot in baseball hell for eternity.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2008, 02:41:17 PM

Mine'd

No one else for McGwire?

Oh, and Dale Murphy, too.
I'm for that guy being in.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2008, 03:09:18 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2008, 02:41:17 PM

Mine'd

No one else for McGwire?

Oh, and Dale Murphy, too.
I'm for that guy being in.

DPD.

Apologies to ChuckD.

I LOVE when I agree with him.

Chuck G?
Not so much.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
The following comment was posted today on a Fox Sports story about a Cardinal prospect who was suspended for drug use.  It rivals our "morans" man.  Maybe it is our "morans" man.

"Just makes me wonder why imbiciles on here consider Barry Bonds the face of Steroids."
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
If you don't vote for McGwire based upon the steroids, I can certainly accept that. But to say he doesn't have the numbers is ridiculous. The guy hit 583 home runs and did it at a pace faster than anyone who's ever played the game at 10.6 AB/HR. He has the 12th highest OPS+ of all time. I don't know why his hitting .260 or whatever should keep him from the HOF. He got on base 39% of the time he came to the dish. In my book, Killebrew and McCovey deserve their spots and McGwire put up similar (in some cases, better) numbers than both. And to argue against him on defensive grounds is disingenuous. Aren't most first basemen playing first base because they can hit, but don't have the glove to play third?

And you're wrong, Andy. Mark McGwire had 28 doubles in 1987.

Also, I probably wouldn't vote for Dawson based upon his stats, but I'm a huge homer and Hawk gave me some good Bonertime back before I ever knew what a boner was.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 12:25:29 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 03, 2008, 12:10:51 AM
If you don't vote for McGwire based upon the steroids, I can certainly accept that. But to say he doesn't have the numbers is ridiculous. The guy hit 583 home runs and did it at a pace faster than anyone who's ever played the game at 10.6 AB/HR. He has the 12th highest OPS+ of all time. I don't know why his hitting .260 or whatever should keep him from the HOF. He got on base 39% of the time he came to the dish. In my book, Killebrew and McCovey deserve their spots and McGwire put up similar (in some cases, better) numbers than both. And to argue against him on defensive grounds is disingenuous. Aren't most first basemen playing first base because they can hit, but don't have the glove to play third?

Also, I probably wouldn't vote for Dawson based upon his stats, but I'm a huge homer and Hawk gave me some good Bonertime back before I ever knew what a boner was.

I love it when I agree with ChuckD.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 03, 2008, 12:10:51 AM

Hawk gave you bonertime back?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
I totally agree McGwire should be in.  He should just have to wait because of the steroid issue.  I don't think he's waited long enough.

It's weird because I'm usually of the mindset that you're either a HOF'er or you're not.  This whole, first ballot thing is dumb.  Still, I'd make McGwire wait it out.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »
If Big Mac does get in (and I'm not sure he will), it will create quite a dilemma for the Satanic Fowl and Satan's Minions. They have pretty much thrown him under the bus since the Congressional testimony, which was weird because they always acted as if he had come up through their system and was a lifelong Cardinal. Now, you don't hear shit about shit from them. But if he got elected to the Hall, they might start crowing again.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 10:20:15 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on December 03, 2008, 10:11:33 AM
I totally agree McGwire should be in.  He should just have to wait because of the steroid issue.  I don't think he's waited long enough.

It's weird because I'm usually of the mindset that you're either a HOF'er or you're not.  This whole, first ballot thing is dumb.  Still, I'd make McGwire wait it out.

Well, I think the difference is you're not voting against him for the asinine reason of keeping it from being unanimous. It's to make him sweat it out a bit from being a roided-up cheat-monkey. Which I get and sort of agree with.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:06 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on December 03, 2008, 10:19:04 AM
If Big Mac does get in (and I'm not sure he will), it will create quite a dilemma for the Satanic Fowl and Satan's Minions. They have pretty much thrown him under the bus since the Congressional testimony, which was weird because they always acted as if he had come up through their system and was a lifelong Cardinal. Now, you don't hear shit about shit from them. But if he got elected to the Hall, they might start crowing again.

I'd like to hear his induction speech, since he doesn't want to discuss the past.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on December 03, 2008, 10:21:06 AM
Quote from: Dave B on December 03, 2008, 10:19:04 AM

I'd like to hear his induction speech, since he doesn't want to discuss the past.

That still allows him to talk about the present and future.  That's two-thirds of all possible material!

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
yeah, he can talk about his dramatic weight-loss and his future health problems.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

motown

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »
The Hawk. A Hall of Famer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof10/news/story?id=4801847

Surprising, especially since I figured there were a few others on this year's ballot who would get in before Dawson. But I like it.