News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jock Jones now a Cub  ( 16,726 )

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jock Jones now a Cub
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 10:10:36 PM »
Buried at the end of the AP story about Jock's signing, talking about Corey:

Quote"I'm sure that once people see that he's being tendered a contract ... I think that we'll see an increase in interest for Corey," [Hendry] said.

At least Hendry isn't even pretending that Corey will be around. 

berserker

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 10:19:24 PM »
Quote from: TG on December 20, 2005, 10:10:36 PM
Buried at the end of the AP story about Jock's signing, talking about Corey:

Quote"I'm sure that once people see that he's being tendered a contract ... I think that we'll see an increase in interest for Corey," [Hendry] said.

At least Hendry isn't even pretending that Corey will be around. 

He will be, we'll just call him Jock

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »
Would you believe Hendry has now committed $95MM to this horseshit, making reasonable assumptions about what Z, Prior, Pierre et al. will make in arbitration? Honestly, could you put a WORSE team together with that kind of money? What a fucked up team, from 5 outs to the pennant to total fucking train wreck in 26 months, that's one helluva accomplishment!!

Can't wait for MacFail to give Hendry and he in turn, Baker, those long-term extensions. That will be a fung day, mang!!
RETIRED

SFXboy

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2005, 10:46:49 PM »
At least we don't follow Tampa Bay

bozos72

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2005, 10:51:28 PM »
Quote from: SFXboy on December 20, 2005, 10:46:49 PM
At least we don't follow Tampa Bay

Dude, they may be better than the Cubs...

Baldelli
Crawford
D Young
Gathright
Huff
Upton
Cantu

Their pitching needs some work, and they could use a good 3B, but, really, which offense will score more runs?

Ugh...
Validated Kermit, 6/11/2007

Dan

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 11:06:46 PM »
Tampa Bay has one of the best offenses in the league.

I don't know if this is true, but some guy over at NSBB who has "sources" (I don't trust any source that isn't a barber) was saying that TB was willing to deal Huff for Wellemeyer and Hill, but the  Cubs only offered Guzman.

If this is true, this makes it that much more frustrating that we are stuck with Jock.
Give him Hill.
Guzman could just as easily be better.
Hendry said he learned from the Dontrelle deal never to give up a lefty with good make up.
Rich Hill isn't Dontrelle Willis!
You could have had Aubrey Friggin Huff.
Except for the fact in the Ted Lilly one that you can see the baseball in his hand behind the knife. I don't know about the first one but I'm be very, very surprised if the second picture is an actual ad.

MikeC

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 12:59:16 AM »
I was reading over at TCR and someone had the frightening realization. Since Jones can't hit lefties Murton will be his platoon partner with Corey in RF.

It is so dumb that even Baker is capable of doing that.
Hail Neifi, full of hacks, thy glove is with thee

berserker

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 01:15:12 AM »

Here's a fantasy for everyone -

We send Korey, Murton and Krissy Wood to Boston for Man-Ram.

Is it on anyone's radar yet?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 07:22:39 AM »
Does any one have the fact that the Cubs still has NEVER signed a top free agent on their radar.

The fact that the Yankees got Damon for 4 years (and told his agent Boras  that if he didn't sign, they were going to trade for Korey, of all people, to get it done) pisses me off to no end.

Of course there is good news, I just saved a whole bunch of money for 2006 cubs tickets
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »
Quote from: caramis on December 20, 2005, 11:06:46 PM
Tampa Bay has one of the best offenses in the league.

I don't know if this is true, but some guy over at NSBB who has "sources" (I don't trust any source that isn't a barber) was saying that TB was willing to deal Huff for Wellemeyer and Hill, but the  Cubs only offered Guzman.

If this is true, this makes it that much more frustrating that we are stuck with Jock.
Give him Hill.
Guzman could just as easily be better.
Hendry said he learned from the Dontrelle deal never to give up a lefty with good make up.
Rich Hill isn't Dontrelle Willis!
You could have had Aubrey Friggin Huff.

Yeah, Hill does have good "make-up." Hell, from what I saw of him last year, everything I've heard about him has been "made-up." Like that high-90s fastball, and that Barry Zito-esque curve ball. He's a real f@#$ing winner.

But to hell with all of that... The Bears can clinch the North on Christmas Day in Green Bay. I'll deal with the rest of this shit later.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Craven Morehead

• Leo Durocher Fan Club
  • Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 09:27:28 AM »
if you got frustrated watching Corey wail away at pitches out of the strike zone, Jones will make you long for Patterson.   He AVERAGES 122K's per season.  This guy is no better than a platoon player.  His splits against LH pitching are laughable.  I cannot fucking believe signing this guy.
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser" -- Leo Durocher

pisomojado8

• Chocolate Salty Balls
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 09:32:16 AM »
It seems the front management is trying to improve the defense, figuring that if Krissy and Prior are injured, the team won't win anyway.

But to sign Jacques to that contract...woof.

Wasn't Rick Monday available?
"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

TW

• 2005 Desipio Deadpool Winner and resident DBF fellater.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 11:04:39 AM »
It really should'v been a 2 year deal with a mutual option for a third year.  I don't mind the signing of Jones as much as the rest of you (although its not the impact signing that I hoped it would be).  He plays great D.  He kills RHP (which you see 90% of the time).  They need to find a way to limit his ABs vs LHP to about 80 (realistically.  Ideally it'd be zero).  And you're not going to compare him to Koery because he's not going to be asked to leadoff and the word "potential" isn't associated with Jones anymore.

Of the FA's in the Sweaty Joe thread....  Byrnes would be a good fit.  So would Ryan Spilborghs (he's got a great eye).  Jamal strong would be alright.  He's fast and would finally give us a good PR.  Decent minor league numbers too.  More importantly he'd only get 100 ABs or so.  Same goes for Wayne Lydon.
Eminem has to cuss in his raps to sell records.  Well...me too...so fuck Will Smith.

CT

• President of the Joe Kmak Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
Quote from: TW on December 21, 2005, 11:04:39 AM
It really should'v been a 2 year deal with a mutual option for a third year.  I don't mind the signing of Jones as much as the rest of you (although its not the impact signing that I hoped it would be).  He plays great D.  He kills RHP (which you see 90% of the time).  They need to find a way to limit his ABs vs LHP to about 80 (realistically.  Ideally it'd be zero).  And you're not going to compare him to Koery because he's not going to be asked to leadoff and the word "potential" isn't associated with Jones anymore.

Of the FA's in the Sweaty Joe thread....  Byrnes would be a good fit.  So would Ryan Spilborghs (he's got a great eye).  Jamal strong would be alright.  He's fast and would finally give us a good PR.  Decent minor league numbers too.  More importantly he'd only get 100 ABs or so.  Same goes for Wayne Lydon.

He "killed" RHP to the tune of .268/.348/.466 last year.  And he's got a weenie arm, which means he'll fit in well in our outfield.
A day job? In an office? My worst nightmare come true!

Dan

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 12:14:44 PM »
he has a strong arm, just not always an accurate one.
Except for the fact in the Ted Lilly one that you can see the baseball in his hand behind the knife. I don't know about the first one but I'm be very, very surprised if the second picture is an actual ad.