News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Making a Murderer  ( 7,050 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Making a Murderer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 04, 2016, 10:17:24 AM
I was thinking that this reminded me a little bit of "Dear Zachary." I didn't think I'd ever be affected by a movie like I was with that. I still haven't, but I think this was pretty close.

You get the same basic recipe of tragic crime crossed with government incompetence. Same simultaneous feeling of dooooom/devastation/pity/helplessness/rage, but Making a Murderer is a slower burn spread out across a few episodes.

Dear Zachary made me want to vomit and forget I'd ever watched it.

This made me pull my hair out and scream profanities at the TV but I couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

Dear Zachary is a good comp.

I mean so many people focusing on Steven Avery, and I feel bad for him, no doubt, but like, I am just haunted by what has happened to Brendan. That kid never stood a fucking chance.

To be honest it kinda bugged me that Steven's parents basically never even mentioned Brendan. That's your grandkid. I know you're worried about Steven but I don't think I heard them upset about Brendan during the entire show.

The kid was just a mentally slow after thought in his own family of largely poor, uneducated, forgotten people to begin with. Then he either A) was the victim of a frame job by the police (and potentially his own brother and stepfather, because I kinda think Bobby Dassey and Tadych might have done it since they each provided the other's alibi) or B)actually did these things because a family member he trusted and would basically follow anywhere because he is a follower.

It's disgusting. What's upsetting is growing up in a rural area like I did I know so many families (hell, even some of my dad's cousins) who could have this happen to them and have no on ever believe their side of the story.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »
I was thinking that this reminded me a little bit of "Dear Zachary." I didn't think I'd ever be affected by a movie like I was with that. I still haven't, but I think this was pretty close.

You get the same basic recipe of tragic crime crossed with government incompetence. Same simultaneous feeling of dooooom/devastation/pity/helplessness/rage, but Making a Murderer is a slower burn spread out across a few episodes.

Dear Zachary "I am Sam" made me want to vomit and forget I'd ever watched it.

This made me pull my hair out and scream profanities at the TV but I couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

I fixed your misspelling, there.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:34 PM »
For fairness: http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movies_and_tv/is-steven-avery-guilty-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php

Quote- In the months leading up to Halbach's disappearance, Avery had called Auto Trader several times and always specifically requested Halbach to come out and take the photos.
-- Halbach had complained to her boss that she didn't want to go out to Avery's trailer anymore, because once when she came out, Avery was waiting for her wearing only a towel (this was excluded for being too inflammatory). Avery clearly had an obsession with Halbach.
-- On the day that Halbach went missing, Avery had called her three times, twice from a *67 number to hide his identity.
-- The bullet with Halbach's DNA on it came from Avery's gun, which always hung above his bed.
Mouse over video for audio
-- Avery had purchased handcuffs and leg irons like the ones Dassey described holding Halbach only three weeks before (Avery said he's purchased them for use with his girlfriend, Jodi, with whom he'd had a tumultuous relationship -- at one point, he was ordered by police to stay away from her for three days).
-- Here's the piece of evidence that was presented at trial but not in the series that I find most convincing: In Dassey's illegally obtained statement, Dassey stated that he helped Avery moved the RAV4 into the junkyard and that Avery had lifted the hood and removed the battery cable. Even if you believe that the blood in Halbach's car was planted by the cops (as I do), there was also non-blood DNA evidence on the hood latch. I don't believe the police would plant -- or know to plant -- that evidence.

I don't know that this says he did it but they are other pieces of information that are of note.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »

So we watched Dear Zachary last night. Jesus christ, man. Absolutely heartbreaking. I agree that it was definitely worse (as in it was expertly made, but the story was so painful to watch) than Making a Murderer.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 06, 2016, 09:00:10 AM

So we watched Dear Zachary last night. Jesus christ, man. Absolutely heartbreaking. I agree that it was definitely worse (as in it was expertly made, but the story was so painful to watch) than Making a Murderer.

Dear Zachary fucking ruined me. I didn't sleep that night. I just kind of stared at my son sleeping and hated that this world can be so fucking cruel.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2016, 09:05:02 AM

Dear Zachary fucking ruined me. I didn't sleep that night. I just kind of stared at my son sleeping and hated that this world can be so fucking cruel.

Reading the description on Wikipedia, this sounds like something that would be clearly unbearable to watch. Since my son was born, I find, in general, that anything which shows the distress of children is unwatchable.
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 06, 2016, 09:26:40 AM

Reading the description on Wikipedia, this sounds like something that would be clearly unbearable to watch. Since my son was born, I find, in general, that anything which shows the distress of children is unwatchable.

Reading Wikipedia will spoil the movie. If you're considering watching it, do not read Wikipedia.

I will say that there's a point toward the end where the grandfather is cooly and calmly explaining all the different options he and his wife had considered.

And then he gets to the one that made the most sense was for him and it was basically "leave cash with friends/family scattered around the country, murder Shirley, and kidnap Zachary to get him out of the country."

Quick cut to the priest who's apparently just been told by the interviewer what the grandfather's plans were. And the priest sits pondering it and he finally says something like "Well ... [head tilt] hmmm ... I mean ... there is some logic to it."

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 06, 2016, 09:32:38 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on January 06, 2016, 09:26:40 AM

Reading Wikipedia will spoil the movie. If you're considering watching it, do not read Wikipedia.

True. But if you're a parent who has trouble stomaching the rough treatment of kids... read Wikipedia.
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
Just finished my binge-watching & now all I want to do is burn down Manitowoc (sp.?) County and all who reside within its borders.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 31, 2015, 12:38:10 AM
Who "doesn't own underpants?"

Kevin Hart's dad.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
The one thing I keep coming to is where is all her blood. In a case in which the State of Wisconsin says Avery and Dassey slit Halbech's throat in Avery's room inside his trailer, there was none of her DNA found.

Now, I'm not saying Avery or Dassey are innocent. I'm saying that they should not be in jail based on the case presented by the State.

One more thing...the deputy that called in the plates on Halbech's vehicle two days before the vehicle was found...what in the actual fuck? He must have been staring at it as he made that call, right?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
This theory makes way too much sense to me in terms of explaining motives and the timeline.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 27, 2016, 10:51:11 AM
This theory makes way too much sense to me in terms of explaining motives and the timeline.

Where does the the vial of Avery blood fit in that timeline?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 27, 2016, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 27, 2016, 10:51:11 AM

Where does the the vial of Avery blood fit in that timeline?

I guess logically, it would have been something like:

Halbach finds vehicle and informs Colborn.
Lenk realizes Colborn fucked up by calling in the make/plate.
Lenk draws sample from the vial of Avery's blood in evidence.
Lenk and/or Colborn return to vehicle and plant blood evidence on Rav4.
Search party finds the vehicle with guidance from Lenk/Colborn. Warrant is obtained.
Lenk/Colborn "find" the bloody valet key.

Edit: I don't remember the show addressing it, but they actually found Halbach's valet key on the lanyard with no other keys (no house key?). That would fit with the theory that the brother/ex-boyfriend found the vehicle and provided Colborn/Lenk with the key to gain entry.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »