News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer.  ( 55,901 )

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Beer.
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2006, 08:34:29 PM »
Quote from: Rooster on December 20, 2006, 04:40:10 PM

Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on December 20, 2006, 02:05:44 PM
For a good beer, I'll throw in a plug for Kansas City's Boulevard beer, good stuff. For mass market, I'll usually grab a Corona or Sam Adams.

I don't drink Coronas because Mexican bartenders laugh at you if you order it.  They know something.

I'll vouch for Boulevard.  I'll even vouch for a St. Louis brew, Schlafly's.

Interestingly, Corona is a very popular "premium" beer in Australia.  And I laugh at everyone who buys it.  I don't know what the Mexican bartenders know, but I know that $50 is far too much to pay for 24 shitty Coronas. 

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on December 20, 2006, 06:52:32 PM
In Korea, my beer of choice is O.B. Lager.  Tastes like formaldehyde, but it just seems appropriate.

Back in the states, I am a recent convert to PPE's choice, K.C. Boulevard Beer.

When I'm looking for some really strong beer, I go with Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Went with my friend to a Korean bbq on Lincoln and he kept the O.B. coming. Tates like Bud Light piss. Does the job though.

Oh, and on the topic of Asian beers, Sapporo is perty good...cool can too.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2006, 09:22:45 PM »
Quote from: The Slak on December 20, 2006, 08:51:27 PMOh, and on the topic of Asian beers, Sapporo is perty good...cool can too.

Try the Singha.  It's southeast Asia's answer to Ballantine Ale.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2006, 10:10:21 PM »
Quote from: The Slak on December 20, 2006, 08:51:27 PM
Went with my friend to a Korean bbq on Lincoln and he kept the O.B. coming. Tates like Bud Light piss. Does the job though.

Chow Sun Ok (Lincoln & Berteau)?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »
In Oklahoma, they have this incredibly dumb rule where liquor stores can't sell beer stronger than 3.2% ABV cold.  The idea is that it cuts down on drunk driving, because people won't drink warm beer on the way home, but wait until they put it in the fridge.

The end result is that Miller Lite and all the other cheap beers are specially made to comply with this law and are weak as hell.

While I was stationed there, I had a buddy who brewed his own beer and also introduced me to Boulevard.

I really don't have a point here; this just seemed like an appropriate thread to whine about Oklahoma's liquor laws.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2006, 12:24:51 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 20, 2006, 01:04:02 PM
Quote from: RockTheIvy on December 20, 2006, 12:24:10 PM
Your favorite.

In the States: St. Pauli Girl: Special Dark

Here in Germany: Lowenbrau: Triumphator (That's 7.8% alcohol, MADD)

Best beer to drink prior to fat chick lovin: Schlitz.

For my money, Rock, Loewenbraeu is only the third best brewery in Munich, behind Paulaner and (best of all) Augustiner.  Ayinger (from just outside Munich) is also excellent.  You ask any beer nut in Muenchen what they drink, though, and they'll all say Augustiner.  Their "Edelstoff" puts hair on your chest.

Dutch beer sucks, for the most part.  Belgian beer, though, which is universally available here, is excellent.  Leffe and Grimberger are my favourites.  Blond, Dubbel, Tripel - it's all great, it just depends how pished you want to get.

As great as Desipio is, it's a shame that people here know nothing about great beer. You sir, on the other hand, have made my day with your post. I am currently drinking a St. Bernardus 12, that's been aged 3 years. Earlier, I had a 2001 JW Lees Harvest, which held up well. There is so much great American craft beer, wonderful Belgian ales, and fine German and British (pass me a Fuller's vintage, or 1845 please) that it makes me sick that people drink Bud and Natty Ice. With all the amazing beer you can get in this country there is no excuse. If anybody on this board wants to try something new, I will be happy to give suggestions, shit, I will fucking send you something, just let me know.
"Not for people who live in Alaska. Or people with night-vision goggles."

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2006, 12:26:29 AM »
Quote from: SD on December 20, 2006, 01:08:44 PM
Lots of swear words could be used here about the (domestic) beer industry.  I'll limit myself to:

You can taste the steel from the distillery in Budweiser.  If you're going to drink domestic, the least you could do for yourself is have a nice warm Natural Ice, or the finest domestic out there, Icehouse.

Quote from: The Slak on December 20, 2006, 12:57:05 PM
We should change the thread title to Bad. Beer.

But I'll steer us back, I love me some Newcastle. Yum.

Why, I just enjoyed a fine Newcastle a few nights back myself.  That is what beer is.

My own input into this thread?  The greatest beer known to myself -- Warsteiner premium dunkel.  Go to war with Warsteiner.  Get dunked by the dunkel.

Newcastle is crap by the way, there's a hundred better brown ales out there.

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »
Quote from: SD on December 20, 2006, 01:08:44 PM
Lots of swear words could be used here about the (domestic) beer industry.  I'll limit myself to:

You can taste the steel from the distillery in Budweiser.  If you're going to drink domestic, the least you could do for yourself is have a nice warm Natural Ice, or the finest domestic out there, Icehouse.

Quote from: The Slak on December 20, 2006, 12:57:05 PM
We should change the thread title to Bad. Beer.

But I'll steer us back, I love me some Newcastle. Yum.

Why, I just enjoyed a fine Newcastle a few nights back myself.  That is what beer is.

My own input into this thread?  The greatest beer known to myself -- Warsteiner premium dunkel.  Go to war with Warsteiner.  Get dunked by the dunkel.

You should just not talk about beer.

forkserker

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:53 AM »
Quote from: Pancho on December 21, 2006, 12:24:51 AM
Your favorite.

For my money, Rock, Loewenbraeu is only the third best brewery in Munich, behind Paulaner and (best of all) Augustiner.  Ayinger (from just outside Munich) is also excellent.  You ask any beer nut in Muenchen what they drink, though, and they'll all say Augustiner.  Their "Edelstoff" puts hair on your chest.

Dutch beer sucks, for the most part.  Belgian beer, though, which is universally available here, is excellent.  Leffe and Grimberger are my favourites.  Blond, Dubbel, Tripel - it's all great, it just depends how pished you want to get.

As great as Desipio is, it's a shame that people here know nothing about great beer. You sir, on the other hand, have made my day with your post. I am currently drinking a St. Bernardus 12, that's been aged 3 years. Earlier, I had a 2001 JW Lees Harvest, which held up well. There is so much great American craft beer, wonderful Belgian ales, and fine German and British (pass me a Fuller's vintage, or 1845 please) that it makes me sick that people drink Bud and Natty Ice. With all the amazing beer you can get in this country there is no excuse. If anybody on this board wants to try something new, I will be happy to give suggestions, shit, I will f@#$ing send you something, just let me know.

I'll tell you something else - if you ever go to one of those bars that has 200+ different beers, anyone sitting at a table drinking Coors Light, Corona, or any other pedestrian brew, should be forced to give up their table.

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:09 AM »
Quote from: forkserker on December 21, 2006, 12:28:53 AM
Your favorite.

As great as Desipio is, it's a shame that people here know nothing about great beer. You sir, on the other hand, have made my day with your post. I am currently drinking a St. Bernardus 12, that's been aged 3 years. Earlier, I had a 2001 JW Lees Harvest, which held up well. There is so much great American craft beer, wonderful Belgian ales, and fine German and British (pass me a Fuller's vintage, or 1845 please) that it makes me sick that people drink Bud and Natty Ice. With all the amazing beer you can get in this country there is no excuse. If anybody on this board wants to try something new, I will be happy to give suggestions, shit, I will f@#$ing send you something, just let me know.

I'll tell you something else - if you ever go to one of those bars that has 200+ different beers, anyone sitting at a table drinking Coors Light, Corona, or any other pedestrian brew, should be forced to give up their table.

Now you're fucking talking man. I raise my glass to you.

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
Quote from: forkserker on December 21, 2006, 12:28:53 AM

Yeah, but Chumley's has that jukebox where you can look up a bunch of songs for a few bucks more.

Huey/Slak: there's a Korean joint up on Lawrence by my old apartment that featured a banner that read: "WE OPEN 24 7."  So, so wrong.

Great poodle pot-stickers, though.

Yah mo B there!

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2006, 12:56:42 AM »

So, now that Rolling Rock is being produced in St. Louis, can you taste a difference?  Because it still tastes the same to me: delicious!

Yah mo B there!

Pancho

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2006, 01:08:17 AM »
I drank Rolling Rock in college, it was cheap around Pitt, and it's not very good. It's even worse now, because it's produced in the filthy, wart ridden armpit of this great land.

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2006, 01:10:54 AM »
Quote from: Pancho on December 21, 2006, 01:08:17 AM
I drank Rolling Rock in college, it was cheap around Pitt, and it's not very good. It's even worse now, because it's produced in the filthy, wart ridden armpit of this great land.

DK57!

Yah mo B there!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2006, 02:17:32 AM »
Quote from: KD on December 21, 2006, 12:55:41 AMthere's a Korean joint up on Lawrence by my old apartment that featured a banner that read: "WE OPEN 24 7."  So, so wrong.

Do you mean to say that you never patronized The Korean Restaurant despite its proximity?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!