News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,195 )

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on July 06, 2007, 10:27:33 AM
Ba-dump-a-dump.

Cable (Comcast) or Direct TV?  Right now I have cable in my doublewide with an HD DVR on one set, and basic on the other sets, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge for the dish.  Wary of the $200 for the HD/DVR, though.  I'm an avid Big Ten fan, though I'm confident Comcast will work out some sort of a deal. 

Gracias.

I'm another satisfied DirectTV customer who switched from Comcast. No experience with HD though because we're in the Stone Age here.

From everything I've read, I have serious doubts that Comcast will pay what the BigTen Network wants.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Fork_The_Third

« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »
Quote from: DPappy on July 06, 2007, 03:45:35 PM
Quote from: The Ghost of Chris Benoit on July 06, 2007, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Fork_The_Third on July 06, 2007, 03:05:24 PM
Quote from: DPappy on July 06, 2007, 02:03:16 PM
Quote from: Fork_The_Third on July 06, 2007, 12:57:03 PM
Quote from: helloWorld on July 06, 2007, 11:18:35 AM
For now, Comcast is the best interwebs you can get at home (see: reasonable price).  I do wish ATT would get off their crappy DSL ass and start building something like Verizon's FiOS.  FTTP is teh steak sauce and I drool over what you can get out on the east coast.

Fork, can you get On-Demand through you CableCARDs?

I do indeed get On-Demand through me CableCARDs.

And, I had Verizon as my high-speed provider when I was in NY. Steak sauce.

I had thought that the Series3 TiVo didn't support CableCARD 2.0.  Obviously, I was dead wrong there.  If the cable company provides version 2.0 CableCARDs, then I guess VOD and PPV options should be available through your TiVo.  Neat-o.  I'm curious to know how it works, too.

My only negative about Series 3 is that it doesn't allow network interface between DVRs like Series 2 does...I've got a 2 and 3 hooked up to my living room TV, and a 2 hooked up to my guest room TV, so I can at least move programs from room to room, even if I need to have 2 DVRs running into one TV.

As much as I would love to make out with a Series 3...The HD DVR "rental" from Comcast is $10/month (approx) and the Series 3 TIVO is around $800 (approx).  That's 80 months before the price breaks even.  By then there's more than likely going to be a new version or format out.  If the rumors are true, the DVR "rental" goes to $5/mo (160 months before b/e) and the TIVO model is $15/mo (53 months before b/e). 

That's one of the reasons I ditched D*.  I didn't want to shell out $1000 for their HD receiver (this was before they rented them as well) when I could rent a Comcast one for much cheaper.

You can get a Series3 TiVo from Amazon for under $600.  You're always going to pay more for the TiVo because it's a higher quality product and it's 3rd party.  But I agree that it's still a lot of money to pay up front.

My Series2 will stay in my house until the day it dies.  I just hope that when I'm ready to take the plunge on an upgrade, that TiVo is still offering the ability to transfer my lifetime service to the new one.  Rumor has it that a cheaper version of the Series3 is in the works.

I transferred my lifetime service from my Series 2 that doesn't have a DVD burner to my Series 3. It still costs a couple hundred bucks, but it's a damn sight better than having 3 lifetimes, when I only have cable running into 2 DVRs anyway.

RW

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
Bump...

I am currently trying to set up a fantasy football league with two divisions (either ten or twelve teams each) with an offline draft for each division with either four or eight (if possible) teams to meet in the playoffs.  In a perfect world it would be a free league, seeing as how I am setting this up for a bunch of drunken deadbeats, but if anyone has any help on this issue,it would almost be a kick-ass as
Woody taking the mound tonight.  Sorry about the BC sentences.

bozos72

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
Quote from: RW on August 05, 2007, 06:42:54 PM
Bump...

I am currently trying to set up a fantasy football league with two divisions (either ten or twelve teams each) with an offline draft for each division with either four or eight (if possible) teams to meet in the playoffs.  In a perfect world it would be a free league, seeing as how I am setting this up for a bunch of drunken deadbeats, but if anyone has any help on this issue,it would almost be a kick-ass as
Woody taking the mound tonight.  Sorry about the BC sentences.

Feel free to send me a message with any questions.  I can geek on fantasy football with teh best of them.
Validated Kermit, 6/11/2007

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2007, 05:45:02 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority since I don't know the answer to this question, but what time do the gates open at Wrigley before a night game?  Is it 2 hours before?  If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.  Not enough to do anything for you, of course.  But I'd be appreciative.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Rob_Goldman

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
Quote from: Kermit on August 13, 2007, 05:45:02 PM
I'm sure I'm in the minority since I don't know the answer to this question, but what time do the gates open at Wrigley before a night game?  Is it 2 hours before?  If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.  Not enough to do anything for you, of course.  But I'd be appreciative.

Can we get this questioned stickied please? 

The Paul Popovich Experience

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »

I'm sure Big Gay Al can help you out. {But I believe for a 7PM start, they do open at 5}
RETIRED

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2007, 09:17:46 AM »
From the Cubs web site
Game Times: Unless otherwise announced, home night games begin at 7:05 p.m. Various day game times are as follows: 12:20pm, 1:20pm and 3:05pm. Game times are subject to change. Complete Cubs schedule »

Gate Opening Times: The gates of Wrigley Field will open two hours prior to each game time unless otherwise announced.

You going tonight Kerm?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Down In Front

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »

What are you looking to heckle SuperVORP during BP?  Be careful.  You might get hit with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Also, I'll be there tonight with Mrs. Huey and some friends.  Stop by and say hey.
8/8/07:

Dawn of the NEW Positive

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I couldn't find that on the Cubs.com website (which is eyeahhrea).  I will be there tomorrow night, actually.  Some buddies and I managed to get 5 single tickets in the same nosebleed sections (above your seats, Huey).  Yay?

Anyone going tomorrow?
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:56 AM »
Quote from: Kermit on August 14, 2007, 10:29:07 AM
Thanks for the help, guys.  I couldn't find that on the Cubs.com website (which is eyeahhrea).  I will be there tomorrow night, actually.  Some buddies and I managed to get 5 single tickets in the same nosebleed sections (above your seats, Huey).  Yay?

Anyone going tomorrow?
Tonight and tomorrow
I have issues.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
Quote from: flannj on August 14, 2007, 10:34:56 AM

Anyone going tomorrow?
Tonight and tomorrow
I have issues.

Make sure you get there early tomorrow so you can get an Aramis Ramirez bobble knee wrist head doll.  Where are you sitting?
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Quote from: Kermit on August 14, 2007, 10:38:27 AM

Anyone going tomorrow?
Tonight and tomorrow
I have issues.

Make sure you get there early tomorrow so you can get an Aramis Ramirez bobble knee wrist head doll.  Where are you sitting?
Aisle 38, Row 10
Chad Kreuter's hat territory

Tonight with a buddy.
Tommorow with my 16 yr. old son.
(DCFS is going to show up at my house one of these days)

You gonna be sauce-faced again?

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »
Quote from: flannj on August 14, 2007, 11:05:51 AM

Anyone going tomorrow?
Tonight and tomorrow
I have issues.

Aisle 38, Row 10

Tonight with a buddy.

Nah, but I will have a couple of beers, I'm sure.  Living out in the Nape generally means less drunken shouting at Wrigley.  Slightly less.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »
Quote from: Kermit on August 14, 2007, 11:14:59 AM
Quote from: flannj on August 14, 2007, 11:05:51 AM

Anyone going tomorrow?
Tonight and tomorrow
I have issues.

Aisle 38, Row 10

Tonight with a buddy.

Nah, but I will have a couple of beers, I'm sure.  Living out in the Nape generally means less drunken shouting at Wrigley.  Slightly less.

More dissertations on the Goat on the bus ride home.
+=