News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,464 )

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
I haven't used any of the big name firms, but we went with a local solo CPA (instead of Turbo Tax) last year and he saved us a lot of money. Cost us $250, but he saved us more than $1k. Closer to $2k if I remember correctly.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

The Ghost of Desipio Past

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
Quote from: HST Redux on February 11, 2008, 05:14:43 PM
I haven't used any of the big name firms, but we went with a local solo CPA (instead of Turbo Tax) last year and he saved us a lot of money. Cost us $250, but he saved us more than $1k. Closer to $2k if I remember correctly.

Did you itemize?

I tried TT one year before we went to H&R and there was a $300-$500 difference between the TT return and the H&R return.

One caveat on CPA's though...tax codes change every year and tax consultants from the box shops may be more up to date on new tax codes than CPAs.

Al Czervik

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 11, 2008, 05:00:29 PM
Quote from: EG on February 11, 2008, 04:58:00 PM
So, it's tax season, and I was wondering if people had any experience with the big tax prep companies like H&R Block and Jackson-Hewitt.

I've done my taxes on my own in the past because they've been as simple as possible, but this year I worked six months in Illinois, moved to Kansas, but worked across the state line in Missouri.  With three states involved, I'm afraid I'll screw everything up and I was thinking of taking it to a prep service.  Anyone have any recommendations, etc.?

Just make sure the accountant is Jewish.

Is there an option?

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Al Czervik on February 11, 2008, 05:21:21 PM
So, it's tax season, and I was wondering if people had any experience with the big tax prep companies like H&R Block and Jackson-Hewitt.

I've done my taxes on my own in the past because they've been as simple as possible, but this year I worked six months in Illinois, moved to Kansas, but worked across the state line in Missouri.  With three states involved, I'm afraid I'll screw everything up and I was thinking of taking it to a prep service.  Anyone have any recommendations, etc.?

Is there an option?

My dad. Roman Catholic. Best accountant there is.

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2008, 05:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on February 11, 2008, 05:26:42 PM

Is there an option?

Maybe he caught a bit of the Jewish from your mom.

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Desipio Past on February 11, 2008, 05:20:06 PM
Quote from: HST Redux on February 11, 2008, 05:14:43 PM

Did you itemize?

I tried TT one year before we went to H&R and there was a $300-$500 difference between the TT return and the H&R return.

One caveat on CPA's though...tax codes change every year and tax consultants from the box shops may be more up to date on new tax codes than CPAs.

I'd have to check with the CFO when she gets home, but I want to say we didn't.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Al Czervik

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

Is there an option?

How do you get Slaky out of the last name Catholic?

Adam Sandler: "My accountant isn't Jewish....but I bet his wife is."

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
Quote from: Al Czervik on February 11, 2008, 05:45:57 PM

Is there an option?

How do you get Slaky out of the last name Catholic?

Adam Sandler: "My accountant isn't Jewish....but I bet his wife is."

Uh, Slakenstein Catholic. Duh.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Desipio Past on February 11, 2008, 05:09:54 PM
We've done H&R block before.  I didn't want the hassle of dealing with stock sale, a home purchase, a new kid.... 
...but it's sure nice talking to you, Dad.

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »

If it's going to be that much trouble, just don't file taxes this year. What's the worst that could happen?
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »
Quote from: Taylor on February 11, 2008, 10:35:01 PM

If it's going to be that much trouble, just don't file taxes this year. What's the worst that could happen?

That's not that bad of an idea.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »

Once Ron Paul takes office, it won't matter anyway.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »

I'm wondering if you could just compound all your out of state income into your primary state's income tax.  I'm at law school for different reasons, not tax law, so I have no fucking clue.  That's why I befriended accountants at the ole' U of I.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2008, 01:51:42 AM »
Quote from: Old Style Man on February 03, 2008, 09:45:31 AM
And getting out of the city that early shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just take Diversey all the way back to the Kennedy (90 West).

90 West isn't what you want to get to Iowa City.  Take Ashland or Western down (instead of 90 east) to 290 and take that out to 88.  Or, to 55 to 80 if you don't have a ziplock full of 20's for the toll.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2008, 06:11:30 AM »

Is there an option?

Me.  Also Roman Catholic.  Also the best accountant there is.

Wait, did I say accountant?  I meant "lion tamer".
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.