News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,148 )

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Where I grew up in the NW burbs, our next door neighbor was an evil widow whose punishments of her two boys were legendary (and greatly exaggerated, no doubt).  If a ball landed in her yard, it was a frightening prospect for my friends and me to jump her fence and fetch it since her reputation so preceded her.  Oddly enough, both her and my mom were immigrants--probably the only two on the block.  And even though they were from the same part of the globe, they may as well have been from different universes as my neighbor was born in Scotland and my mom was born in Ireland. Naturally, they had little use for each other.  Of course, we being Irish Catholic and therefore a large family (5 kids) was something that our next door neighbor took note of as, my mom would tell me years later, the only communication that this woman ever really had with my mom would be when she would mutter at my mom about keeping her "papist kids" off of her lawn.  I always thought that "papist" was an odd pejorative but I can see now that it was rather common.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2008, 02:38:17 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on February 12, 2008, 02:24:23 PM
Where I grew up in the NW burbs, our next door neighbor was an evil widow whose punishments of her two boys were legendary (and greatly exaggerated, no doubt).  If a ball landed in her yard, it was a frightening prospect for my friends and me to jump her fence and fetch it since her reputation so preceded her.  Oddly enough, both her and my mom were immigrants--probably the only two on the block.  And even though they were from the same part of the globe, they may as well have been from different universes as my neighbor was born in Scotland and my mom was born in Ireland. Naturally, they had little use for each other.  Of course, we being Irish Catholic and therefore a large family (5 kids) was something that our next door neighbor took note of as, my mom would tell me years later, the only communication that this woman ever really had with my mom would be when she would mutter at my mom about keeping her "papist kids" off of her lawn.  I always thought that "papist" was an odd pejorative but I can see now that it was rather common.

That story rules.

Intrepid Reader: Homer Stokes

Papie!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on February 12, 2008, 02:38:17 PM

That story rules.

Papie!

It's gonna be, "back to the flour mill, Pappy!" Th' int'rests can take care o' themselves!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »
Quote from: Corn-fed on February 12, 2008, 02:50:16 PM
Quote from: ~Apex on February 12, 2008, 02:38:17 PM

That story rules.

Papie!

It's gonna be, "back to the flour mill, Pappy!" Th' int'rests can take care o' themselves!

I fuckin' hate that I no longer own that movie or Lebowski. I bought both for my dad as gifts when I lived down there and didn't douche out and snatch them on my way out.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Taylor

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
Wait a minute. There are Papists on this site?

MODS!!!!!!
"Now I can start to see some of the ways that this team has lost ball games." Lou

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
Papist, schmapist.  Try being left-handed.  You haven't truly felt the slap of The Man (and a right-handed slap at that) until you try signing those keypads at Target with the pen connected to the right side.  Brutal.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on February 12, 2008, 05:15:59 PM
Papist, schmapist.  Try being left-handed.  You haven't truly felt the slap of The Man (and a right-handed slap at that) until you try signing those keypads at Target with the pen connected to the right side.  Brutal.

So you're a southpaw?

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:59 AM »
Quote from: butthead on February 12, 2008, 05:56:30 PM

So you're a southpaw?

Which brings us back around to baseball, where the term "southpaw" was born.

McStiff is a southpaw.

And he eats ass.
+=

The Ghost of Desipio Past

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:53 AM »
Quote from: Kwyjibo on February 13, 2008, 06:00:59 AM

So you're a southpaw?

McStiff is a southpaw.

And he eats ass.

Ergo....

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »

I hear you, man.  Not to mention the ever-present ink smears on my left pinky finger.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Kermit

• Desipio Party Planner
  • Administrator
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »
Quote from: Kermit on February 13, 2008, 10:57:33 AM

I hear you, man.  Not to mention the ever-present ink BBQ sauce smears on my left pinky finger face.

Preemptive strike'ed.
Hire Jim Essian!

Validated JD 08/10/07

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
Quote from: Kwyjibo on February 13, 2008, 06:00:59 AM

So you're a southpaw?

Sadly, no.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=southpaw

Quotesouthpaw

"lefthander," 1885, originally baseball slang, of pitchers, often said to have been coined by Finley Peter Dunne ("Mr. Dooley"), Chicago sports journalist and humorist, in the days when baseball diamonds were regularly oriented with home plate to the west. But south paw "a person's left hand" is attested from 1848 in the slang of pugilism.

http://www.word-detective.com/093098.html#southpaw

QuoteLet us turn, therefore, to the appropriately-titled "Southpaws and Sunday Punches," a dictionary of sporting terms penned by Christine Ammer (Penguin, 1992), "southpaw" may date back to a particular baseball field in Chicago in the late 1800s. According to legend, "southpaw" was coined because at that time the Cubs' home plate faced east, meaning that if the pitcher were left-handed, his throwing arm would be to the south. Voila, "southpaw." According to another book, "How to Talk Baseball" by Mike Whiteford (Galahad, 1996), the term was coined by Finley Peter Dunne, a sportswriter for the Chicago News, who, along with another writer, was using it "as early as 1887."

Personally, I have doubts about this story. It's a bit too perfect, and the Oxford English Dictionary lists a non-baseball citation for "south paw," meaning a punch with the left hand, from 1848. That's a bit early for the phrase to have come from baseball, although it's not absolutely impossible.

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
+=