News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,577 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2008, 12:52:16 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on February 12, 2008, 02:24:23 PM
Where I grew up in the NW burbs, our next door neighbor was an evil widow whose punishments of her two boys were legendary (and greatly exaggerated, no doubt).  If a ball landed in her yard, it was a frightening prospect for my friends and me to jump her fence and fetch it since her reputation so preceded her.  Oddly enough, both her and my mom were immigrants--probably the only two on the block.  And even though they were from the same part of the globe, they may as well have been from different universes as my neighbor was born in Scotland and my mom was born in Ireland. Naturally, they had little use for each other.  Of course, we being Irish Catholic and therefore a large family (5 kids) was something that our next door neighbor took note of as, my mom would tell me years later, the only communication that this woman ever really had with my mom would be when she would mutter at my mom about keeping her "papist kids" off of her lawn.  I always thought that "papist" was an odd pejorative but I can see now that it was rather common.

In Scotland, as in Ulster, Catholics are in a minority and are pretty routinely discriminated against.  I may have been exaggerating when I talked about having to give your seat up on the bus, but not by a hell of a lot.  There are many, many jobs for which those with Fenian names need not apply.  There are many, many pubs into which Papists dare not tread, and sectarian violence is still commonplace.  One of Glasgow Rangers' songs finishes : "...we're up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die".

In fact, anti-Catholicism seems to be the only state-sanctioned bloodsport, and that goes for the whole of the UK.  The Freemasons are notoriously, and openly anti-Catholic - indeed, you may not join if you kick with the wrong foot.  The Prime Minister may not be a Catholic - Tony Blair had to wait until he had resigned to convert.  And if you are a member of the Royal Family and convert to Catholicism - or even just marry a Catholic, you have to give up your claim to the throne.

And you know what?  I really don't care.

Although I do feel a bit guilty about that, of course.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

I just have issues with the whole "no meat on Friday" bullshit.

Although, the Pope has a cool hat.
+=

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 13, 2008, 12:52:16 PM
Where I grew up in the NW burbs, our next door neighbor was an evil widow whose punishments of her two boys were legendary (and greatly exaggerated, no doubt).  If a ball landed in her yard, it was a frightening prospect for my friends and me to jump her fence and fetch it since her reputation so preceded her.  Oddly enough, both her and my mom were immigrants--probably the only two on the block.  And even though they were from the same part of the globe, they may as well have been from different universes as my neighbor was born in Scotland and my mom was born in Ireland. Naturally, they had little use for each other.  Of course, we being Irish Catholic and therefore a large family (5 kids) was something that our next door neighbor took note of as, my mom would tell me years later, the only communication that this woman ever really had with my mom would be when she would mutter at my mom about keeping her "papist kids" off of her lawn.  I always thought that "papist" was an odd pejorative but I can see now that it was rather common.

In Scotland, as in Ulster, Catholics are in a minority and are pretty routinely discriminated against.  I may have been exaggerating when I talked about having to give your seat up on the bus, but not by a hell of a lot.  There are many, many jobs for which those with Fenian names need not apply.  There are many, many pubs into which Papists dare not tread, and sectarian violence is still commonplace.  One of Glasgow Rangers' songs finishes : "...we're up to our knees in Fenian blood, surrender or you'll die".

In fact, anti-Catholicism seems to be the only state-sanctioned bloodsport, and that goes for the whole of the UK.  The Freemasons are notoriously, and openly anti-Catholic - indeed, you may not join if you kick with the wrong foot.  The Prime Minister may not be a Catholic - Tony Blair had to wait until he had resigned to convert.  And if you are a member of the Royal Family and convert to Catholicism - or even just marry a Catholic, you have to give up your claim to the throne.

I'll probably be going to Scotland soon. I've already mentioned the religion that my parents were given, though neither of them practice. I embrace no religion. So I guess that's probably just as bad as being a Catholic over there? Should I not go to certain pubs? So many questions...

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
Quote from: Kwyjibo on February 13, 2008, 01:03:00 PM

And fabulous shoes...

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

Don't worry...double Filet O' Fish! Ugh.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on February 13, 2008, 01:28:11 PM

I'll probably be going to Scotland soon. I've already mentioned the religion that my parents were given, though neither of them practice. I embrace no religion. So I guess that's probably just as bad as being a Catholic over there? Should I not go to certain pubs? So many questions...

Pretty much anything in any city centre will be fine.  If you're in the suburbs, stay away from anything that has metal bars over the windows and you should be all right, too.  If you find yourself in trouble, a hearty "Fuck Mo Johnston" will elicit approval from pretty much everybody.

Seriously, the best advice I can offer you is simply not to talk about it, or offer any opinion about it if someone talks to you - and watch out, as you're a Yank, many people will assume that you have RA sympathies.  If you show yourself to be completely uninterested in religion, though, you should avoid any grief.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 13, 2008, 01:49:54 PM

Pretty much anything in any city centre will be fine.  If you're in the suburbs, stay away from anything that has metal bars over the windows and you should be all right, too.  If you find yourself in trouble, a hearty "Fuck Mo Johnston" will elicit approval from pretty much everybody.

Seriously, the best advice I can offer you is simply not to talk about it, or offer any opinion about it if someone talks to you - and watch out, as you're a Yank, many people will assume that you have RA sympathies.  If you show yourself to be completely uninterested in religion, though, you should avoid any grief.

Very good. I'd be in the city center for sure. The smell of vinegar and chips awaits!

Kwyjibo

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on February 13, 2008, 01:38:06 PM

Don't worry...double Filet O' Fish! Ugh.

Yeah, fuck that. I've got some meat those bastards can have any day of the week.
+=

The Ghost of Desipio Past

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: February 13, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »

And if anyone asks, Sean Connery is the greatest living actor, Mike Myers deserves to be hung from his  scrotum and the greatest movie ever made is Braveheart (with Highlander coming in a close second ahead of Trainspotting). 

Corn-fed

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
Quote from: The Ghost of Desipio Past on February 13, 2008, 03:40:18 PM

And if anyone asks, Sean Connery is the greatest living actor, Mike Myers deserves to be hung from his  scrotum and the greatest movie ever made is Braveheart (with Highlander coming in a close second ahead of Trainspotting). 

I've got some Wallace blood in me.

So, if I go to Scotland, drop trou and yell "FREEDOM!" before ordering up a pint of Belhaven I should be just fine, right?

The Ghost of Desipio Past

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
Quote from: Corn-fed on February 13, 2008, 03:55:03 PM
Quote from: The Ghost of Desipio Past on February 13, 2008, 03:40:18 PM

I've got some Wallace blood in me.

So, if I go to Scotland, drop trou and yell "FREEDOM!" before ordering up a pint of Belhaven I should be just fine, right?

Provided you're not Mike Myers...yes.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: February 21, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »
Netflix vs. Blockbuster Online?  Anyone have a preference?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
Quote from: EG on February 21, 2008, 12:12:32 PM

Netflix has more stuff. The wait for certain titles on Blockbuster was longer than hell. Both send you DVDs that are pretty scratched up though. I was hoping the switch from Blockbuster to Netflix would improve that situation but thus far it hasn't. They send them in paper envelopes through the mail to other people's houses and gord knows what those people do with these things before they send them back. I'm ready for the next big thing. DVDs blow.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: February 21, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »
Quote from: ~Apex on February 21, 2008, 12:18:58 PM

Netflix has more stuff. The wait for certain titles on Blockbuster was longer than hell. Both send you DVDs that are pretty scratched up though. I was hoping the switch from Blockbuster to Netflix would improve that situation but thus far it hasn't. They send them in paper envelopes through the mail to other people's houses and gord knows what those people do with these things before they send them back. I'm ready for the next big thing. DVDs blow.

I've been using Netflix for a long time and am a big fan. Haven't had the scratched DVD problems that Apex has. Maybe his mailman needs to cut his fingernails. They've got a huge selection (including just about any TV show you can think of), the only downside I've noticed lately is that new releases aren't as readily available as they used to be. Also, call me old fashioned but I prefer to give my money to the company that came up with the idea instead of the Blockbusters and Wal Marts.

Slaky+

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: February 21, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
Quote from: RV on February 21, 2008, 12:43:59 PM
Quote from: ~Apex on February 21, 2008, 12:18:58 PM

I've been using Netflix for a long time and am a big fan. Haven't had the scratched DVD problems that Apex has. Maybe his mailman needs to cut his fingernails. They've got a huge selection (including just about any TV show you can think of), the only downside I've noticed lately is that new releases aren't as readily available as they used to be. Also, call me old fashioned but I prefer to give my money to the company that came up with the idea instead of the Blockbusters and Wal Marts.

I'm with RV on this one. I stay with Netflix. Blockbuster can suck it.