News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,287 )

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
Quote from: Pre on April 13, 2008, 01:49:56 PM

Any big bike enthusiasts?

I've got a new job working down in the loop and as the weather gets nicer I'm going to bike the commute.  But, I'm also going on Ragbrai (it's a week long bike across Iowa, 60-90 miles a day.  No I don't want to meet up RedBeard).  So I want a commuter type bike that's decent on the road/hills (but I don't give a shit about optimal speed stuff).  Everywhere I look around the internet the conversation looks like this:
New person: I want a bike in the $500 range
Douche #1: I've owned the following five bikes that cost over $2500 including my current pride and joy which cost $500 just for the custom paint job (pic included, custom paint job looks like a normal bike from sportmart).  But you should buy this other bike that's $1500.
Douch #2: Don't listen to Douche #1, you need this $2000 bike, $1500 bikes are just wasting your money.
etc etc etc

Any recommendations in the $500ish price range? (less would be awesome, but it sounds unlikely.)

Randomly internet browsing found me this as a possibility maybe?  Jamis Coda

Go to the Village Cycle shop in Old Town. They have a good selection, and they work with your needs & budget. I'm very happy with them.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
I paid about $400 for a Trek 930 from Village Cycle in 1999.  By the time it got stolen in 2005, I had probably logged over 7,000 miles on it.  I commuted downtown, year round, from July 2002 until December 2005.  I find people who live in the city and bike regularly and insist on paying 2 grand for a bicycle are foolhardy.  Mine did just fine for 6 years.

That said, I invested quite a bit of money into the upkeep.  Annual tuneups, nice kevlar-based road tires, fenders, lights etc.

Also, even though I bought my bike at Village Cycle and got a good deal, they will never get another dime from me.  I took it in for repairs once and took it back to see that my lights and pedometer had been swiped.  They took no repsonsiblity for it.   I had always gotten a snobby vibe from those doucehbags anyway; my impression is that the people that work there only want to get baked and focus on their own shit, and subsequently suffer neophytes poorly.  Fuck that.

So for a while aftwards I had my tuneups and accessories shopping done at On The Route, on Lincoln, just south of the Lincoln/Ashland/Belmont intersection.  I was happy with them until one time I had my rear tire swiped and took it in and and felt the guy's casual attitude to be an affront to my urgency.  So I swore I wouldn't give my business to them  anymore.

The last place I did business with was Get a Grip, in the newly gentrified Iriving Park neighborhood (On Irving, near Kostner).  This kid who owned that store was initially very cool but then had the nerve to charge me one day for a $3 pump valve, after I had been patronizing him with my business (he was actually the guy I got my sweet kevlar-based tires from).  So I wrote him off.   (I'm apparently  a very fickle customer; you may not want to take my advice.)

Then my bike got stolen and I had gone without for 2 years.  However, I got myself a new bike last fall--another Trek--and haven't ridden it yet.  Once I get myself some nice panniers to hold my work clothes, I'll be rolling downtown again.  I can't fucking wait.

Bike store people can be total douchebags.  That's why when I strike it rich, I'm going to open my own damn bike store and I'll be cool as shit to everyone, I promise.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: April 14, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
I'd imagine you'll be rich pretty soon Mike, based on the fact that you're never going to buy anything from anyone again.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

PTanner

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2008, 09:23:32 AM »
Quote from: CT II on April 14, 2008, 09:20:10 AM
I'd imagine you'll be rich pretty soon Mike, based on the fact that you're never going to buy anything from anyone again.

I'd buy stock in Heilmann's Brewery if I were you.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: April 14, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
Quote from: PTanner on April 14, 2008, 09:23:32 AM

Just make sure to sell sometime in July.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 14, 2008, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: PTanner on April 14, 2008, 09:23:32 AM

Just make sure to sell sometime in July.

...of 1996.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: April 14, 2008, 02:38:50 PM »
Here's one: Next month I'm flying into Chicago to see my brother play at the state tennis tournament, which is in and around Arlington Heights. 

If I fly into Midway, what's the best way to get up in that area?  I'll have someone who can pick me up once I get closer to the area, but it'd be nice if they didn't have to come down to Midway.  Any suggestions?

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
Quote from: EG on April 14, 2008, 02:38:50 PM
Here's one: Next month I'm flying into Chicago to see my brother play at the state tennis tournament, which is in and around Arlington Heights. 

If I fly into Midway, what's the best way to get up in that area?  I'll have someone who can pick me up once I get closer to the area, but it'd be nice if they didn't have to come down to Midway.  Any suggestions?

I think the only public transit that goes to Midway is the Orange Line.  You'd have to ride it from Midway back downtown, and then catch a Metra Train out to Arlington Heights.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

http://res.worldairportguides.com/nexres/cars/search.cgi?src=10010673

The only other options are training into the city to catch a train back out or cabbing it from Midway.

From AH it isn't a terrible drive.  53 to 290 and a few non tollway roads and you're there.  Maybe 40-50 minutes (pending day and time)
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »
Quote from: CT II on April 14, 2008, 02:45:19 PM

I think the only public transit that goes to Midway is the Orange Line.  You'd have to ride it from Midway back downtown, and then catch a Metra Train out to Arlington Heights.

That's a winner. 

It'll save you the aggravation of having someone drive from freaking Arlington Heights all the way to Cicero and 57th.  Fuck that.  Take the Orange Line to Washington/Wells and walk Madison Street west down to Clinton (it'll be about 3 blocks only) and pick up a Metra at the Olgilvie Station.  You'll geta  nice easy ride right to downtown Arlington Heights (or, depending on where your friend lives, possibly the racetrack)
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: April 14, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
Whenever I need travel advice I go to Lonely Planet.  Those guys know their shit.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/04/13/lonely.planet/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Although, sometimes they just tell me to go to the Columbian consulate and then I end up having sex in a bathroom with an intern.  Who may or may not be Columbian, or female.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: April 14, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on April 14, 2008, 02:55:54 PM

That's a winner. 

It'll save you the aggravation of having someone drive from freaking Arlington Heights all the way to Cicero and 57th.  Fuck that.  Take the Orange Line to Washington/Wells and walk Madison Street west down to Clinton (it'll be about 3 blocks only) and pick up a Metra at the Olgilvie Station.  You'll geta  nice easy ride right to downtown Arlington Heights (or, depending on where your friend lives, possibly the racetrack)

That should work.  I certainly didn't want to make anyone drive that far when I could just hop on a train and get most of the way there.  But given that I don't know much about the different lines, I had to make sure.

Thanks, guys.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: April 14, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Quote from: EG on April 14, 2008, 03:02:37 PM
Quote from: Mike D on April 14, 2008, 02:55:54 PM

That's a winner. 

That should work.  I certainly didn't want to make anyone drive that far when I could just hop on a train and get most of the way there.  But given that I don't know much about the different lines, I had to make sure.

Thanks, guys.

Forget that.  I say make 'em drive.  Because, you know what?  Hey, look at me.  Right here.  Hey, HEY...know why?

Because you're worth it.  Yeah, I said it.  I put it out there.  Now what are you gonna do with it?

Go get 'em.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

PTanner

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: April 14, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »

Hey, there's a Superdawg in Midway too, so you can score a solid meal before making the trek to the Heights.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: April 14, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »

Pay the extra $15 and fly into O'Hare?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!