News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,008 )

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »
Pollyellon was NOT happy at the game being played in those conditions. From yesterday's blog:

"Ugh. That's enough. I think whoever the new ownership of the Cubs winds up being, ought to petition the commissioner's office to never, ever, ever, EVER again schedule the Cubs at home on Mother's Day, especially because the weather's going to be crappy again today. In fact, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that today's game will be postponed. The Cubs and Diamondbacks have common off days on July 7 and July 17 -- look for a possible rescheduling on one of those dates, if there's a rainout today.
In fact, let me get on my BCB soapbox for a moment. At this writing -- 10:15 am CDT -- it is absolutely pouring rain in Chicago, 46 degrees and very windy. Yes, I realize there is a lot of money at stake for a postponed game, and yes, I also realize that the new field at Wrigley has a great drainage system. But it is supposed to rain steadily till at least 4:00 this afternoon, and after that it'll be cold and raw. Why not call the game NOW and play it on one of the open dates in July? Then there's no money lost and they can play in better conditions."

Then later:

"First, mea culpa to everyone I was talking to in the game thread saying "CALL THIS GAME NOW!" I figured there was no way they'd play this afternoon, given the horrendous weather all morning -- pouring rain, strong winds, feeling like it was 2003 again; so I stayed home during the morning hours (had lunch, did the Sunday Tribune crossword, kept track of weather radars) instead of going to claim my bleacher seat. Watching the webcams (thanks, ballhawk!) we saw that the seats were claimed by about 12:30, so when I arrived Mike, Phil & I sat with, appropriately, I thought, on Mother's Day, some longtime bleacher season ticket holders who are moms, Judy & Colleen, in their seats in right-center field next to the concession stand. Judy's daughter is in her 20's and married, but Colleen had her three young kids in tow. They spent most of their time slopping hot dogs, cokes and cotton candy all over the place, calling each other "idiot", and racing in and out so many times it made my head spin. (The oldest, to her credit, at least attempted to keep score.) Mike said it was "almost as good entertaiment as what was on the field, and free!"
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 12, 2008, 08:38:34 AM
Pollyellon was NOT happy at the game being played in those conditions. From yesterday's blog:

"Ugh. That's enough. I think whoever the new ownership of the Cubs winds up being, ought to petition the commissioner's office to never, ever, ever, EVER again schedule the Cubs at home on Mother's Day, especially because the weather's going to be crappy again today. In fact, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that today's game will be postponed. The Cubs and Diamondbacks have common off days on July 7 and July 17 -- look for a possible rescheduling on one of those dates, if there's a rainout today.
In fact, let me get on my BCB soapbox for a moment. At this writing -- 10:15 am CDT -- it is absolutely pouring rain in Chicago, 46 degrees and very windy. Yes, I realize there is a lot of money at stake for a postponed game, and yes, I also realize that the new field at Wrigley has a great drainage system. But it is supposed to rain steadily till at least 4:00 this afternoon, and after that it'll be cold and raw. Why not call the game NOW and play it on one of the open dates in July? Then there's no money lost and they can play in better conditions."

Then later:

"First, mea culpa to everyone I was talking to in the game thread saying "CALL THIS GAME NOW!" I figured there was no way they'd play this afternoon, given the horrendous weather all morning -- pouring rain, strong winds, feeling like it was 2003 again; so I stayed home during the morning hours (had lunch, did the Sunday Tribune crossword, kept track of weather radars) instead of going to claim my bleacher seat. Watching the webcams (thanks, ballhawk!) we saw that the seats were claimed by about 12:30, so when I arrived Mike, Phil & I sat with, appropriately, I thought, on Mother's Day, some longtime bleacher season ticket holders who are moms, Judy & Colleen, in their seats in right-center field next to the concession stand. Judy's daughter is in her 20's and married, but Colleen had her three young kids in tow. They spent most of their time slopping hot dogs, cokes and cotton candy all over the place, calling each other "idiot", and racing in and out so many times it made my head spin. (The oldest, to her credit, at least attempted to keep score.) Mike said it was "almost as good entertaiment as what was on the field, and free!"

What an idiot.

It was pretty cold though.  I was in section 218, in the last row, and it was like a wind tunnel up there.

Other than the great game, an added plus was to see some moran who fell on the field from the center field wall get absolutely leveled by one of the security guards.  It was a brutal hit, and by brutal hit I mean freaking awesome to watch from my vantage point. 

What is the going rate for the fine/incarceration for doing that these days?

An added plus for my girlfriend and sister was for them to be able to watch Tony Romo walk to and from the TV/radio booths, and then walk behind us as he went down to his car (leaving EARLY).  To quote Andy: "Guh." 

My comment?  "Ladies, there's a ball game going on - focus."

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »
But it is supposed to rain steadily till at least 4:00 this afternoon, and after that it'll be cold and raw. Why not call the game NOW and play it on one of the open dates in July? Then there's no money lost and they can play in better conditions."

And then Al would have been the first to bitch when the Cubs had to play 26 straight days in July.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 12, 2008, 09:09:48 AM
But it is supposed to rain steadily till at least 4:00 this afternoon, and after that it'll be cold and raw. Why not call the game NOW and play it on one of the open dates in July? Then there's no money lost and they can play in better conditions."

And then Al would have been the first to bitch when the Cubs had to play 26 straight days in July.

Not to mention, bologna doesn't keep as well in the heat.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
I especially liked the part where he was looking at the webcam and saw "his" seats were claimed. I'll bet that threw him into a tizzy.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »
Quote from: J Rod on May 12, 2008, 09:04:00 AM
Why not call the game NOW and play it on one of the open dates in July? Then there's no money lost and they can play in better conditions."
Other than on the expense of paying for an extra day of air travel and an extra day of meal money and an extra day fo security, yeah, there's no money lost by moving the date.

If you don't understand business, don't talk about it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: May 12, 2008, 10:20:35 AM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on May 12, 2008, 10:04:57 AM

Why not?  You don't understand baseball, but you're still allowed to talk about it.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: May 12, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
Quote from: Pollyellon on May 12, 2008, 08:38:34 AMIn fact, let me get on my BCB soapbox for a moment.

Oh, that's priceless.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2008, 12:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 12, 2008, 10:20:35 AM

Why not?  You don't understand baseball, but you're still allowed to talk about it.

I like you  a lot Chuck, but that shit right there is funny.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2008, 01:14:57 PM »
Quote from: PTanner on May 12, 2008, 12:54:53 PM

That is good.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on May 12, 2008, 01:14:57 PM
Quote from: PTanner on May 12, 2008, 12:54:53 PM

That is good.

And I am, of course, kidding.  Mostly.

<NSBB smiley>

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on May 12, 2008, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: Pollyellon on May 12, 2008, 08:38:34 AMIn fact, let me get on my BCB soapbox for a moment.

Oh, that's priceless.

The worst part, I'll bet that douche actually has a BCB soapbox.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »

You sure it's not a crate from a meat packing company?
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: May 12, 2008, 02:25:33 PM »
Quote from: Andy on May 12, 2008, 02:09:03 PM
Quote from: Kerm on May 12, 2008, 10:20:52 AM

Oh, that's priceless.

The worst part, I'll bet that douche actually has a BCB soapbox.

Shame on you, Andy.  You could have had one, too, if your money order had been sent to the correct P.O. Box.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: May 12, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 12, 2008, 02:03:30 PM
And I am, of course, kidding.  Mostly.

<NSBB smiley>
Having avoided NSBB since the Nomar trade, I'll assume that said smiley is insanely annoying.