News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,158 )

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #465 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
You're probably better off finding someplace to donate the TV to and taking the tax write off.  I bet you could pass it off for 500-1000 as a write off.  Just make sure it works and the picture isn't shitty.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #466 on: June 04, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »
Quote from: ChuckDickens on June 03, 2008, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: J Rod on June 03, 2008, 09:07:19 PM
This thing is kind of like a Magic 8 Ball, ask a question and get an answer...

So I've come into possession of a 61" Toshiba HDTV that I am looking to sell.  It's about 6-7 years old, so calling it an HDTV is probably a joke, but I was told by the purchaser that it is an HDTV.  Either way, I'm looking to unload it and was curious if anyone here would know what a fair price would be to request for it.  Unfortunately I won't have access to a model # until this weekend (it's in Rockford), but if anyone has a ball park figure I'd appreciate it.

It's one of those 'old school' rear projection type big screens.  The thing is a beast, standing over 5' tall.

I don't know how accurate this method of price estimation is, but what the hell. I searched completed ebay auctions for 61" rear projection sets. They don't have a very wide marketplace because shipping makes them cost prohibitive, so I set it to sellers who lived within 200 miles of New York (as large of a local market as possible).

One model is a Samsung HL-P6163W. It sold for $395 this year after 33 bids. It's MSRP was about $3500 when released in 2004. Price is declining by 32% per year.

Another model is a Sony KP-61XBR200. It sold for $180 this year after 30 bids. Its MSRP was about $5900 when released in 1998. Price is declining by 42% per year.

So, let's say rear projection sets decline in value by 35% per year. Take some 61" Toshiba models from the time period:

61A62 - MSRP $1500, 6 years old = Estimated Present Value of about $110
61H70 - MSRP $3500, 7 years old = Estimated Present Value of about $170

I could be way off though.

Holy crap!  I hope you didn't spend too much time on that.  Thanks for the information. 

I looked up the model numbers you have listed and it is definitely the Toshiba 61H70.

ADC - To what organization would someone donate a big screen to?  The TV works fine.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #467 on: June 04, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
Quote from: J Rod on June 04, 2008, 08:14:32 AM

So I've come into possession of a 61" Toshiba HDTV that I am looking to sell.  It's about 6-7 years old, so calling it an HDTV is probably a joke, but I was told by the purchaser that it is an HDTV.  Either way, I'm looking to unload it and was curious if anyone here would know what a fair price would be to request for it.  Unfortunately I won't have access to a model # until this weekend (it's in Rockford), but if anyone has a ball park figure I'd appreciate it.

It's one of those 'old school' rear projection type big screens.  The thing is a beast, standing over 5' tall.

I don't know how accurate this method of price estimation is, but what the hell. I searched completed ebay auctions for 61" rear projection sets. They don't have a very wide marketplace because shipping makes them cost prohibitive, so I set it to sellers who lived within 200 miles of New York (as large of a local market as possible).

One model is a Samsung HL-P6163W. It sold for $395 this year after 33 bids. It's MSRP was about $3500 when released in 2004. Price is declining by 32% per year.

Another model is a Sony KP-61XBR200. It sold for $180 this year after 30 bids. Its MSRP was about $5900 when released in 1998. Price is declining by 42% per year.

So, let's say rear projection sets decline in value by 35% per year. Take some 61" Toshiba models from the time period:

Holy crap!  I hope you didn't spend too much time on that.  Thanks for the information. 

I looked up the model numbers you have listed and it is definitely the Toshiba 61H70.

ADC - To what organization would someone donate a big screen to?  The TV works fine.

Salvation Army or Goodwill are typical.  Also there is likely some local charity in Rockford that runs a resale shop that may pick it up as well.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #468 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 04, 2008, 08:17:58 AM

Salvation Army or Goodwill are typical.  Also there is likely some local charity in Rockford that runs a resale shop that may pick it up as well.

You can also check with your township to see if there is a teen center or something.  Think local, drink local and if doing something for charity, make it as close to home as possible.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #469 on: June 11, 2008, 03:47:28 PM »
You never know how great a site or message board is until you look at three separate threads and each is currently discussing various ways to drop a deuce on someone. 

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on June 04, 2008, 08:26:44 AM
Quote from: thehawk on June 04, 2008, 08:17:58 AM

You can also check with your township to see if there is a teen center or something.  Think local, drink local and if doing something for charity, make it as close to home as possible.

Little FYI for people out there.  This applies to Rockford, so I don't know if it is so elsewhere, but Goodwill is no longer making any pickups due to gas prices.

Ri. Dic. U. Lous.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on June 11, 2008, 03:47:28 PM
You never know how great a site or message board is until you look at three separate threads and each is currently discussing various ways to drop a deuce on someone. 

Does "fiveouts" refer to how many deuces you dropped?
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #472 on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
I have a question for the illustrious band of intelligent deviants that circumnavigate this board.  I was at a Best Buy two days ago in Los Angeles and I noticed, in the audio section, no fewer than five different LP turntables for sale.  Now, there were about 20 different CD players, but are turntables back in demand?  Have I missed the boat?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #473 on: June 13, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on June 13, 2008, 02:42:29 PM
I have a question for the illustrious band of intelligent deviants that circumnavigate this board.  I was at a Best Buy two days ago in Los Angeles and I noticed, in the audio section, no fewer than five different LP turntables for sale.  Now, there were about 20 different CD players, but are turntables back in demand?  Have I missed the boat?

Get one from a thrift store.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #474 on: June 13, 2008, 02:50:52 PM »

They're not back in demand, but some audiophiles have an extensive collection of LPs (and some swear they sound better).  They're just newer versions that have connectability to the newer receivers (and in some cases a USB cable to connect to a computer).

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 13, 2008, 02:50:16 PM

These were USB turntables, too.  Nice stuff.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #476 on: June 13, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on June 13, 2008, 02:50:52 PM

They're not back in demand, but some audiophiles have an extensive collection of LPs (and some swear they sound better).  

My dad, to this day, still prefers LPs.  He talks about how they sound warmer.  I don't really know what that means.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #477 on: June 13, 2008, 03:01:50 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on June 13, 2008, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: Oleg on June 13, 2008, 02:50:16 PM

These were USB turntables, too.  Nice stuff.

USB turntables for the audiophiles who want to rip their vinyl to their iPods.

My cousin has one of these.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #478 on: July 09, 2008, 05:28:24 AM »
I'm thinking of getting my wife an acoustic guitar for her birthday.  Problem is, I know fuck all about guitars.  Are there any musically gifted Desipiots out there that can steer me in the right direction? 

Also, this is one of those things that she is likely to play for like 6 weeks tops and then it will sit around taking up space, so nothing top of the line here.  However, if I pony up for a flashy birthday gift, that PS3 is mine once the price drops a bit below $750...

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #479 on: July 09, 2008, 06:37:40 AM »
Quote from: RD on July 09, 2008, 05:28:24 AM
I'm thinking of getting my wife an acoustic guitar for her birthday.  Problem is, I know fuck all about guitars.  Are there any musically gifted Desipiots out there that can steer me in the right direction? 

Also, this is one of those things that she is likely to play for like 6 weeks tops and then it will sit around taking up space, so nothing top of the line here.  However, if I pony up for a flashy birthday gift, that PS3 is mine once the price drops a bit below $750...

Get a nice Yamaha dreadnought. Can't be more than a couple hundred bucks.

Or, check craigslist, maybe there's someone who's wife already used up her six weeks of playing.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.