News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,739 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #480 on: July 09, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »
Quote from: PTanner on July 09, 2008, 06:37:40 AM
Quote from: RD on July 09, 2008, 05:28:24 AM
I'm thinking of getting my wife an acoustic guitar for her birthday.  Problem is, I know fuck all about guitars.  Are there any musically gifted Desipiots out there that can steer me in the right direction? 

Also, this is one of those things that she is likely to play for like 6 weeks tops and then it will sit around taking up space, so nothing top of the line here.  However, if I pony up for a flashy birthday gift, that PS3 is mine once the price drops a bit below $750...

Get a nice Yamaha dreadnought. Can't be more than a couple hundred bucks.

Or, check craigslist, maybe there's someone who's wife already used up her six weeks of playing.

Fender sells these "Acoustic Packs" for like US$150.  Guitar, gig bag, strap, picks, strings... pick that up along with a $20 capo and you've got everything you need outside of this site.  The guitar actually plays nicely - I picked one up for my wife who has played it like 5 times total in a year.

Alternatively... these guys:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/6-string-acoustic-guitars?N=100001+304293&Ns=P_Price%7c0

have some good deals.  I like the cutaways myself, and they have a Jasmine (Takamine's "budget-conscious" line) cutaway for $100. 
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: July 09, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on July 09, 2008, 08:06:47 AM
I'm thinking of getting my wife an acoustic guitar for her birthday.  Problem is, I know fuck all about guitars.  Are there any musically gifted Desipiots out there that can steer me in the right direction? 

Also, this is one of those things that she is likely to play for like 6 weeks tops and then it will sit around taking up space, so nothing top of the line here.  However, if I pony up for a flashy birthday gift, that PS3 is mine once the price drops a bit below $750...

Or, check craigslist, maybe there's someone who's wife already used up her six weeks of playing.

Fender sells these "Acoustic Packs" for like US$150.  Guitar, gig bag, strap, picks, strings... pick that up along with a $20 capo and you've got everything you need outside of this site.  The guitar actually plays nicely - I picked one up for my wife who has played it like 5 times total in a year.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/6-string-acoustic-guitars?N=100001+304293&Ns=P_Price%7c0

have some good deals.  I like the cutaways myself, and they have a Jasmine (Takamine's "budget-conscious" line) cutaway for $100. 

Have you considered an electric?  They require less hand strength to play (generally speaking) and sound just fine even without an amp. 
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: July 09, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on July 09, 2008, 08:15:06 AM

Have you considered an electric?  They require less hand strength to play (generally speaking) and sound just fine even without an amp. 
You can get an electric starter kit with a shitty amp for around 200 dollars at any Guitar Center. She'll enjoy it more than acoustic I bet because it can at least get loud.

Though you're still in Australia, right? Probably not many Guitar Centers down there...

Anyway, check out a Squier starter electric pack. Maybe she will take to it better with electric.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: July 09, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on July 09, 2008, 10:33:28 AM

You can get an electric starter kit with a shitty amp for around 200 dollars at any Guitar Center. She'll enjoy it more than acoustic I bet because it can at least get loud.

Though you're still in Australia, right? Probably not many Guitar Centers down there...

Anyway, check out a Squier starter electric pack. Maybe she will take to it better with electric.

Thrillho'ed.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2008, 10:42:21 AM »
Quote from: Kerm on July 09, 2008, 10:40:54 AM

Thrillho'ed.

Also Slaky'd. Since that's what I currently have. Still dreaming of the day I get that Godin I've had my eyes on.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
I've got a boring-ass tax question for those people who know about that sort of thing.

I got greedy and left the non-profit world for a better-paying jorb, and I need to fill out my W-4.  For my allowances, I've always just taken 1 (I'm unmarried).  While I like getting a refund each year, I was reading that it's better to take more allowances so I can get that money spread out over the rest of the year, even if it means I have to pay in a little extra come tax time. Their point was that the government doesn't pay interest on that money withheld, so why should they get to hang onto it for a year?

Does that even make sense?  Can I even take more allowances?  Any advice is appreciated.

I hate financial stuff.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 09, 2008, 02:43:59 PM
I've got a boring-ass tax question for those people who know about that sort of thing.

I got greedy and left the non-profit world for a better-paying jorb, and I need to fill out my W-4.  For my allowances, I've always just taken 1 (I'm unmarried).  While I like getting a refund each year, I was reading that it's better to take more allowances so I can get that money spread out over the rest of the year, even if it means I have to pay in a little extra come tax time. Their point was that the government doesn't pay interest on that money withheld, so why should they get to hang onto it for a year?

Does that even make sense?  Can I even take more allowances?  Any advice is appreciated.

I hate financial stuff.

You can take additional allowances regardless of marital status. 

The thought behind it is the money you get back could be earning 5% interest over the year versus none.  It usually works out to your favor even if you don't invest it in anything other than a savings account and you have the discipline to not spend it over the course of the year.  I think the IRS has a calculator to calculate what allowance brings you closest to zero.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »

I hate financial stuff.

What you read is correct. Getting a refund is nice, but you're basically giving the gubment an interest free loan until you get your refund. Why do that when you can deposit your cash at the Bank of FARC and earn some blood-stained interest?

Fewer allowances = more taxes withheld = larger refund when you file your return
More allowances = less taxes withheld = smaller refund when you file your return

Here's an allowance calculator to help you figure this out: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

I hate financial stuff.
A tax refund means the government had more of your money than it was supposed to have.  They accumulated the money all year and give it back to you when you file.  They pay no extra money to you for leaving it on deposit with them (i.e. no interest).

Should you increase allowances to get a larger paycheck but a smaller refund, or, perhaps even have to pay in April?  The question is this:

Do you have the budgeting skill to have a reserve so you can pay in April if you need to?  If the answer is yea, increase allowances.  If nay, take teh refund.

Rooster

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »

Don't be afraid to check out a pawn shop.  If you see a few models you like and can afford you can always ask about them here before you buy.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: July 10, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Quote from: Rooster on July 09, 2008, 05:49:29 PM

Don't be afraid to check out a pawn shop.  If you see a few models you like and can afford you can always ask about them here before you buy.

Intrepid Reader : Louis Winthorpe III

How much for the gun?
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: July 10, 2008, 08:06:20 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on July 10, 2008, 07:23:04 AM
Quote from: Rooster on July 09, 2008, 05:49:29 PM

Intrepid Reader : Louis Winthorpe III

How much for the gun?

that pawn shop is under new management - look for the cigar box guitar for sale in the window.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: July 10, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on July 09, 2008, 04:06:03 PM

I hate financial stuff.
A tax refund means the government had more of your money than it was supposed to have.  They accumulated the money all year and give it back to you when you file.  They pay no extra money to you for leaving it on deposit with them (i.e. no interest).

Should you increase allowances to get a larger paycheck but a smaller refund, or, perhaps even have to pay in April?  The question is this:

Do you have the budgeting skill to have a reserve so you can pay in April if you need to?  If the answer is yea, increase allowances.  If nay, take teh refund.

And one other caveat: If you push it too much and withhold too much little, you will pay a penalty for underpayment. We ended up paying a $50 'fine' for underpayment because my wife made too much money at her side job (which doesn't withhold a dime from her checks as an independent contractor) and we ignored our accountant's advice to make additional payments to the good ol' IRS last year.

And, as others have said, ideally your withholding should come as close to your actual taxes as possible. Otherwise, all you are doing is lending the government your money for free.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: July 10, 2008, 09:02:06 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on July 10, 2008, 08:07:24 AM
Quote from: Chuckosan on July 09, 2008, 04:06:03 PM

I hate financial stuff.

And one other caveat: If you push it too much and withhold too much, you will pay a penalty for underpayment. We ended up paying a $50 'fine' for underpayment because my wife made too much money at her side job (which doesn't withhold a dime from her checks as an independent contractor) and we ignored our accountant's advice to make additional payments to the good ol' IRS last year.

And, as others have said, ideally your withholding should come as close to your actual taxes as possible. Otherwise, all you are doing is lending the government your money for free.

IRS and tax advice?  This really is the only site I'll ever skim over for bold print and find the actual meaning of posts.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: July 10, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on July 10, 2008, 08:07:24 AM
And one other caveat: If you push it too much and withhold too much, you will pay a penalty for underpayment. We ended up paying a $50 'fine' for underpayment because my wife made too much money at her side job (which doesn't withhold a dime from her checks as an independent contractor) and we ignored our accountant's advice to make additional payments to the good ol' IRS last year.
Right. That's bad. Okay. All right.  Important safety tip.  Thanks, Egon.