News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,136 )

theoneandonlyjim

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #780 on: September 29, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 29, 2008, 10:03:35 AM

DPD.

Want to spend a few days in Puerto Vallarta in February.

Anyone know a nice place?

I was there at the beginning of this month.  My wife and I stayed at the Riu Vallarta in the Nuevo Vallarta part of the bay.  If you're looking for an all-inclusive, it wasn't too bad, both price-wise and accommodations.  Through Funjet, 6 nights/7 days ran me about $2500 for two people including airfare.  There were events throughout the day and entertainment every night.  Five restaurants (three specialty requiring once-per-stay reservations), five or six bars, and a decent amount of beachfront. The staff was really attentive with the little things, but sometimes overzealous.  It was a little bit far from downtown (15-20 mins.) and the airport (30 mins.), but cabs were really cheap (less than 15 bucks).

As for day trips, do the Los Veranos canopy tour.  There are 14 zip lines going back and forth across a river and a couple of them are near 500 feet up.

Grab a guidebook of phrases, too.  The English was pretty good for most of the people we met, but it can was hit or miss downtown.

Also, the time shares are desperate for people to sign up down there.  They'll give you all sorts of deals just to get you to come and listen.  The cost for two day trips for two people was less than the regular price for one trip for one person.  We could have had bottles of A-list tequila, cash, and free stays to name some of the other offers.
Too many late nights raising hell worked a little all too well...

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #781 on: September 30, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »

DPD.

FYI, my sister and brother-in-law went there twice, so I asked my sister.

Intrepid Reader: Kerm's Sister
QuoteWe stayed at the Mayan Palace in Nueva Vallarta, which is just north of the city, about 30 minutes.  That was the best place we stayed at.  We also did the Mayan Sea Garden, but that was more hotelish.  The first was better.  But I liked Nueva Vallarta b/c is was removed from the touristy downtown area.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #782 on: September 30, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
I will be unavoidably detained between 6 and 9 Wednesday and thus cannot be in front of a TV. However, I will have Internet access. Is mlb.tv streaming this to overseas lands? If so, is setting up a proxy DNS effective?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #783 on: September 30, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »
Quote from: TJ on September 30, 2008, 12:42:19 PM
I will be unavoidably detained between 6 and 9 Wednesday and thus cannot be in front of a TV. However, I will have Internet access. Is mlb.tv streaming this to overseas lands? If so, is setting up a proxy DNS effective?

At first glance, it appears that you should be in luck. You may need to purchase a second package: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index_ps.jsp?c_id=mlb&affiliateId=MLBMENUBUYPS
And if you are overseas, then here's the other page for international viewers: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index_ps.jsp?c_id=mlb&affiliateId=MLBMENUBUYPS

But after reading the fine print:
QuotePostseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States (including the territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada. Live Audio of MLB Postseason games is available as part of any MLB.TV subscription or as part of the MLB.com Gameday Audio Package. Each game will be available 45 minutes after the conclusion of the game as an archived game (archived games are blackout free).

As far as proxy DNS, I've heard of it. Don't know a thing about it so I couldn't help you at all there.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #784 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:12 AM »
Quote from: TJ on September 30, 2008, 12:42:19 PM
Is mlb.tv streaming this to overseas lands? If so, is setting up a proxy DNS effective?

Are you sure you're not thinking of proxy HTTP?  It's unclear to me what role your source of name lookups would play.

Anyway, proceeding on the assumption that you're trying to evade the domestic blackout, as I recall, MLBAM uses Quova for geolocation, and they (somewhat breezily) claim to be able to see right through this ruse.  Would you be setting up this service privately?  It seems unlikely that decent throughput would be available from an open HTTP proxy.

[Edit.--Alternatively, there does appear to be an X11-based viewer for mlb.tv in alpha distribution.  This would simplify things tremendously if you can access a foreign *nix box.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Al Czervik

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #785 on: October 01, 2008, 10:49:17 AM »

DPD.

I've been three times and have always stayed close to town.

The Nuevo Vallarta section is much newer and presumably nicer (I've never been but have friends that have).  There you'll find the large all-inclusive multiple pool, and 6 restaurant resorts where you don't need to leave the resort.  You could venture into town for a day trip or even for dinner, but it's like staying in Naperville and dining downtown--not worth repeat trips.  If you plan to relax poolside for a few days and eat good food on-site, without much interest in the town itself, this may be the way to go.

If you prefer a bit more authentic Mexican experience there are nice hotels in and near the "hotel zone" which is a 2 minute cab ride from town or a long stroll.  I've stayed at the Sheraton Buganvilias and the Fiesta Americana and had decent experiences at both.  The Sheraton is nicer and I believe closer to town and thus more walkable.  I also remember the Holiday Inn looked nice and was pretty ideally located (best recollection)

The beaches in general are only OK and the sand can be a bit rocky. Peddlers are like gnats so we have always stayed poolside where you have the added bonus of a margarita.  The Nuevo Vallarta beaches are cleaner and much nicer from what I've heard.

The main strip in town is called the Malecon and there are plenty of restaurants and bars right off the strip.  I remember a very good little Mexican spot just in off the strip a block or two deep.  The outdoor dining area was sunken down a few steps and a flamenco guitarist played throughout dinner.  Very nice but I can't remember the name.

My strongest recommendation is to take a cab to Senor Chicos.  I believe the name has changed (still includes "Chicos") so I don't know what to expect there now. But the view should still be worth the trip.  It's a restaurant up in the mountains (10 minutes by cab).  Reserve a time before sunset so you will be seated in time.  Perched above the bay you can enjoy fantastic margaritas or a few bottles of wine at a vacationers pace and watch the sunset.  I remember the Carne Asada was delicious and I remember the wife and I ordering the third bottle of wine as the waiter chuckled.  After that I remember little.

Enjoy!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #786 on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
Well the menage a trois angle didn't work. Foil'd in my master plan.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #787 on: October 04, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
Probably been asked before, but I'm no Thrillho as far as searching the archives:

I have some friends coming in to town sometime next month, and they're asking about good places to stay. They're looking for the best combo of affordability and location (probably near some form of public transportation, and close to the actual city). I've never booked a hotel in or near the city, so I'm kinda at a loss here.

Any suggestions?
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #788 on: October 04, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
Quote from: Jon on October 04, 2008, 12:07:59 PM
Probably been asked before, but I'm no Thrillho as far as searching the archives:

I have some friends coming in to town sometime next month, and they're asking about good places to stay. They're looking for the best combo of affordability and location (probably near some form of public transportation, and close to the actual city). I've never booked a hotel in or near the city, so I'm kinda at a loss here.

Any suggestions?

(Re)Introducing Tonker's legendary American trip from 2005.

It may be updated, so feel free to note any corrections.
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #789 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »

Any suggestions?

I stayed at the Club Quarters when I was up there earlier.  Relatively inexpensive, and it's right in the middle of the loop.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #790 on: October 04, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
Thanks guys.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #791 on: October 04, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
Quote from: Mike D on October 04, 2008, 12:13:20 PM

Any suggestions?

(Re)Introducing Tonker's legendary American trip from 2005.

It may be updated, so feel free to note any corrections.

Ah, memories.  Reckon I'll be back next year...
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #792 on: October 04, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »
Quote from: Jon on October 04, 2008, 12:41:24 PM
Thanks guys.

And, assuming your friends are like you (Yeti, pay attention), the hotel Tonker stayed at is like 4 blocks or so south of boystown.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #793 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 04, 2008, 12:47:25 PM
Quote from: Jon on October 04, 2008, 12:41:24 PM
Thanks guys.

And, assuming your friends are like you (Yeti, pay attention), the hotel Tonker stayed at is like 4 blocks or so south of boystown.

No, they're not theatre fhags at all. Well, one of them has acted once.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #794 on: October 04, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on October 04, 2008, 12:30:23 PM

Any suggestions?

I stayed at the Club Quarters when I was up there earlier.  Relatively inexpensive, and it's right in the middle of the loop.

As a bonus, all of their internet friends will think they're staying at a gay bathhouse.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!