News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,234 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #945 on: November 19, 2008, 06:00:35 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on November 19, 2008, 05:19:11 AM
Quote from: Furious George on November 19, 2008, 12:04:54 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 18, 2008, 10:17:13 PM
Alright, on Monday I am heading out to Arizona and I hope to buy a camera before the trip. I'm looking for something that's less than $100 because I don't try to take pictures too often. Any suggestions on a brand that is best? I prefer it to be compatible with SD Cards because I have a 4gb microSD card for my phone along with the appropriate adapter. That compatibility is not necessarily required because I'm sure a 1gb card is cheap these days.

You can't go wrong with Canon. The compact PowerShot Digital Elphs you see hawked by Sharapova are sweet. Price-wise, older models seem to bottom out in the low $100 range.

Generally speaking, as a rule of thumb, restrict yourself to cameras made by camera or photo equipment makers (Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, Olympus) and avoid those from computer companies (avoid HP like the plague). One exception to this is Sony, who do make some well-regarded cameras.

Check out older models and don't get too terribly hung up on resolution. Try to find something offering at least 3 or 4 megapixels. Anything above and beyond 6 is more or less a waste, though. The optics in these tiny devices are such that, not only are compact cameras not able to take advantage of much more real detail than this, they actually see image quality decline inverse to the pixel count due to the an increase in noise. (More on this phenomenon here.)

As far as card formats go, SD is probably what you will end up with if you don't go with Sony (Memory Stick—proprietary), or Olympus or Fuji (xD). The latter two are less common and tend to be more expensive.

Disposable ones are available at Walgreen's for like 2 bucks.  You take all your pictures, THEN YOU JUST THROW THE CAMERA AWAY!
What an age we live in.

Yeah, Walgreens dominates.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #946 on: November 19, 2008, 09:46:41 AM »
I agree with what Furious George, Wheezer, and RD have said. Even though I am a Nikon guy if you are looking at a digital point and shoot, Canon is the way to go. Nikon doesn't meet their features quite as well at your price point. CHDK adds a lot (the ability to shoot in RAW is great if you wish to do anything beyond basic editing) but if you seldom use the camera it is not a big deal. I'm not quite as happy with the AA battery feature, my experience is that it eats them pretty fast.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #947 on: November 19, 2008, 09:57:22 AM »
DPD.
Since I'm an audio dork...
This is a great deal, Klipsch headphones half price.
I don't have anything to do with the company, I just really like their products.
In case Santa needs some help these are very nice phones.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #948 on: November 19, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »
Alright. Thank you for the help. Thrill, the only tough thing about keeping with a lower megapixel is that they don't seam to sell them as much. Best Buy and Circuit City's websites both have 7 and up, for the most part. This finding is mainly online. I am going to the store today on my lunch to check them out some more. See if the store has anything different. Would any of these look like they'd be good? (I'm not really a fan of the red on the last one but it is a Canon, within the price range, and lower on the megapixel end)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #949 on: November 19, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2008, 10:21:41 AM
See if the store has anything different. Would any of these look like they'd be good? (I'm not really a fan of the red on the last one but it is a Canon, within the price range, and lower on the megapixel end)

I've had bad luck with Olympus cameras, so I'd recommend staying away from them. 

Like people above said, it's hard to go wrong with a Nikon or Canon.  Find your price range and buy something from either of those two brands.  You'll probably be happy with it, if you're just looking for a point-and-shoot.

Also, that third camera you linked to is pushing past red into pink. 

More latent tendencies, Yeti?

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #950 on: November 19, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
Alright. Thank you for the help. Thrill, the only tough thing about keeping with a lower megapixel is that they don't seam to sell them as much. Best Buy and Circuit City's websites both have 7 and up, for the most part. This finding is mainly online. I am going to the store today on my lunch to check them out some more. See if the store has anything different. Would any of these look like they'd be good? (I'm not really a fan of the red on the last one but it is a Canon, within the price range, and lower on the megapixel end)

I have a Canon PowerShot A590IS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120256

Perfect for what I wanted. Then again, I was happy with my old Sony Cybershot too.

I recommend looking at www.newegg.com. They have that Canon A470 for $10 cheaper (in gray too) and throw in a 2G SD card. Decent user/reader reviews there too. Never had a bad experience with newegg in several orders.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #951 on: November 19, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
Quote from: HST Redux on November 19, 2008, 10:32:12 AM

Perfect for what I wanted. Then again, I was happy with my old Sony Cybershot too.

I recommend looking at www.newegg.com. They have that Canon A470 for $10 cheaper (in gray too) and throw in a 2G SD card. Decent user/reader reviews there too. Never had a bad experience with newegg in several orders.

I really like that A470. Plus the card would alleviate any potential compatibility issues with my microSD card adapter. I'm really thinking I'll buy it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #952 on: November 19, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2008, 10:47:13 AM

I really like that A470. Plus the card would alleviate any potential compatibility issues with my microSD card adapter. I'm really thinking I'll buy it.
A little cheaper but without the SD card but free shipping.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #953 on: November 19, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
Quote from: flannj on November 19, 2008, 10:50:55 AM

Thanks for the help. I went with the one at Newegg because I needed UPS 2day shipping so it wasn't free for me and B&H. Plus the memory card and case (which I guess I didn't really need but was nice to have) kind of sealed the deal. Thanks for proving once again that this is The Only Site I'll Ever Need.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #954 on: November 19, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »
Alright. Thank you for the help. Thrill, the only tough thing about keeping with a lower megapixel is that they don't seam to sell them as much. Best Buy and Circuit City's websites both have 7 and up, for the most part.

I wouldn't sweat a difference of 1 or 2 megapixels.

The difference between 6.0 MP and 7.1 MP is the difference between around 2121x2828- and 2308x3077-pixel sensors. That's a difference of around 8% in each direction.

This is another reason megapixel counts can be misleading. To double the linear, pixels-per-inch resolution, you need to quadruple the megapixels: say, from 6 to 24.

A bigger concern than resolution is color. And this is why I said to avoid HP: as far as I've seen it, their color blows.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #955 on: November 19, 2008, 06:19:46 PM »
Quote from: flannj on November 19, 2008, 09:46:41 AM
I'm not quite as happy with the AA battery feature, my experience is that it eats them pretty fast.

True enough, but my reasoning was that, in a pinch, being able to toss in easily available batteries could come in handy.  Once the Energizer lithiums I now have in the camera give up the ghost, I'm going to see how the Sanyo Eneloops play out--at $10 for four, an alleged 1000 charges available, and only 15% self-discharge over a year, on paper they seem like a pretty inexpensive option.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #956 on: November 19, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 19, 2008, 06:19:46 PM
Quote from: flannj on November 19, 2008, 09:46:41 AM
I'm not quite as happy with the AA battery feature, my experience is that it eats them pretty fast.

True enough, but my reasoning was that, in a pinch, being able to toss in easily available batteries could come in handy.  Once the Energizer lithiums I now have in the camera give up the ghost, I'm going to see how the Sanyo Eneloops play out--at $10 for four, an alleged 1000 charges available, and only 15% self-discharge over a year, on paper they seem like a pretty inexpensive option.

With AAs, you're going to want to go with rechargeables, and to have a second set charging while you use the first. Camera LCDs drain these things like nobody's business, so you'll find yourself swapping often if you use the camera a lot on a trip.

If your camera comes with a proprietary battery, hopefully it also comes with an external charger for it. If so, buy yourself a spare to have charging as a backup. Finding these can sometimes be hit or miss, with the wide variety of batteries used even by cameras from the same manufacturer. Order one online, or check out Best Buy (when I was hunting around for a spare Nikon D80 battery this summer, I found they had the best selection by far).
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #957 on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2008, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: flannj on November 19, 2008, 10:50:55 AM

Thanks for the help. I went with the one at Newegg because I needed UPS 2day shipping so it wasn't free for me and B&H. Plus the memory card and case (which I guess I didn't really need but was nice to have) kind of sealed the deal. Thanks for proving once again that this is The Only Site I'll Ever Need.

You got a pink one, right?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #959 on: November 21, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »
Quote from: JD on November 21, 2008, 01:58:21 PM
Is this tv any good?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-50-Series-5-Plasma-HDTV-PN50A550/sem/rpsm/oid/208372/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I can't vouch for that particular TV, but I can vouch for Samsung.  I have a Samsung DLP that I love, and their customer service (which I've only had to use once in three and a half years) is very good.