News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,338 )

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #975 on: November 22, 2008, 07:30:31 AM »
My 2 cents are (and I worked at Best Buy so I must know...... well I was a stocker so really I knew little) that Samsung is the way to go when it comes to TVs and it doesn't even seem like it's close. If I were to venture away, I'd chose Sony (I have a 37" Rear projectiol LCD I bought for $450 a year ago).
When it comes to a big purchase like a TV, I've always felt it's not the best idea to fuck around with those cheap brands because even though I'm sure many of them are good, I don't trust them and I want a TV that I can depend on

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #976 on: November 22, 2008, 08:51:40 AM »
Every Samsung phone I've ever seen, had or heard about was a complete and total piece of shit. I had such a bad experience with one that I've decided to boycott ALL of their products for the rest of my life. Sony is dependable, reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit him with it.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #977 on: November 22, 2008, 09:43:53 AM »
Quote from: ~Apex on November 22, 2008, 08:51:40 AM
Every Samsung phone I've ever seen, had or heard about was a complete and total piece of shit. I had such a bad experience with one that I've decided to boycott ALL of their products for the rest of my life. Sony is dependable, reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit him with it.

That's stupid. Except for the picture. I love that guy.

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #978 on: November 22, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 22, 2008, 07:30:31 AM
My 2 cents are (and I worked at Best Buy so I must know...... well I was a stocker so really I knew little) that Samsung is the way to go when it comes to TVs and it doesn't even seem like it's close. If I were to venture away, I'd chose Sony (I have a 37" Rear projectiol LCD I bought for $450 a year ago).
When it comes to a big purchase like a TV, I've always felt it's not the best idea to fuck around with those cheap brands because even though I'm sure many of them are good, I don't trust them and I want a TV that I can depend on

I also worked at a Best Buy, only instead of stocking, I sold TVs.  So I think I know a thing or two.  Pioneer are the best, but pricey as all hell.  Then Hitachi and Sony are the next level, then Toshibas.  I always considered Samsung like a premium cheap brand, good but not great.  However, this mostly applies to CRTs.  When I went digital TV shopping, I ended up picking a Panasonic.  In the end, picture is really a personal choice.  Some people find that a perfectly tuned set looks awful to them.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #979 on: November 22, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on November 22, 2008, 09:43:53 AM

That's stupid. Except for the picture. I love that guy.

You mean Boris the sneaky fucking Russian?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

HST Redux

• When teh going gets weird....
  • Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #980 on: November 23, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
Quote from: RD on November 22, 2008, 06:16:25 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 22, 2008, 07:30:31 AM

I also worked at a Best Buy, only instead of stocking, I sold TVs.  So I think I know a thing or two.  Pioneer are the best, but pricey as all hell.  Then Hitachi and Sony are the next level, then Toshibas.  I always considered Samsung like a premium cheap brand, good but not great.  However, this mostly applies to CRTs.  When I went digital TV shopping, I ended up picking a Panasonic.  In the end, picture is really a personal choice.  Some people find that a perfectly tuned set looks awful to them.

I have a Panasonic Viera plasma too and am very happy so far. My only complaint would be it does suffer from glare, although it's in one of the brightest rooms in my house. How I have it set up for now is a factor too.
"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: Not necessarily to Win, but mainly to keep from Losing Completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #981 on: November 23, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
Quote from: RD on November 22, 2008, 06:16:25 PM
However, this mostly applies to CRTs.

No one cares about any of your stupid dinosaur TVs, old bones.

"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #982 on: November 23, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »
The Pioneer Elite series or the Kuro are the Yvonne Strahovski of TVs.  If you're gonna get a plasma, Panasonic makes the best ones.  Otherwise, Sony, Samsung, or LG make good LCDs. 

If you're looking for a bedroom set the cheapy brands for dirt cheap cold do.  Just google the brand/model to see problems/reviews.  Nothing wrong with a 42" for a $499.99 1080i GFM Plasma at  Meijer on Black Friday.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #983 on: November 24, 2008, 05:46:49 AM »

Why are we posting pictures of Thrill's dad?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #984 on: November 24, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 24, 2008, 05:46:49 AM

Why are we posting pictures of Thrill's dad?
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #985 on: November 25, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
I have a house buying question for anyone who is a real estate agent or plays one on TV.  Or has bought a house.  That's cool too.

I found a place in a neighbourhood that I like on a very large block, which is rare here.  The real estate agent told us the price is $365,000.  I was doing some hunting around and found a site that is like our equivalent to Craigslist and found the place listed "for sale by owner" on 19 October for $359,000, the difference presumably the agent's commission.   

What's the best way to approach this?  Call in regards to the FSBO ad?  Go through the real estate agent and at the time to negotiate an offer, spring the online ad on her?  And I was planning on offering a grand or two below the asking price, but should I still try and lowball the online price, particularly since it has been sitting there for over a month and how low is low enough?  I know things like this are market dependant, but sub-400,000 homes in Brisbane don't last long, particularly when they are on large lots.  The house is a bit further out in towards to rural part of the area, but still only 30 mins from the city centre.

If you can't tell, this is my first attempt at home ownership.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #986 on: November 25, 2008, 06:12:27 AM »
Quote from: RD on November 25, 2008, 05:18:17 AM
I have a house buying question for anyone who is a real estate agent or plays one on TV.  Or has bought a house.  That's cool too.

I found a place in a neighbourhood that I like on a very large block, which is rare here.  The real estate agent told us the price is $365,000.  I was doing some hunting around and found a site that is like our equivalent to Craigslist and found the place listed "for sale by owner" on 19 October for $359,000, the difference presumably the agent's commission.   

What's the best way to approach this?  Call in regards to the FSBO ad?  Go through the real estate agent and at the time to negotiate an offer, spring the online ad on her?  And I was planning on offering a grand or two below the asking price, but should I still try and lowball the online price, particularly since it has been sitting there for over a month and how low is low enough?  I know things like this are market dependant, but sub-400,000 homes in Brisbane don't last long, particularly when they are on large lots.  The house is a bit further out in towards to rural part of the area, but still only 30 mins from the city centre.

I'd say check out the FSBO house, you might like it better anyway. As a purchaser you're within your rights to get the best house for the best price by any legal means.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #987 on: November 25, 2008, 06:23:22 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 25, 2008, 06:12:27 AM

I'd say check out the FSBO house, you might like it better anyway. As a purchaser you're within your rights to get the best house for the best price by any legal means.

Sorry, quick clarification... It's the same house.  One price through an agent and the other via an online listing. 

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #988 on: November 25, 2008, 06:27:44 AM »
Quote from: RD on November 25, 2008, 06:23:22 AM

Sorry, quick clarification... It's the same house.  One price through an agent and the other via an online listing. 

I'm guessing then that you can't go around the realtor, since they showed you the property. This is where realtors/lawyers will help.
TIME TO POST!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #989 on: November 25, 2008, 07:15:33 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 25, 2008, 06:27:44 AM
Quote from: RD on November 25, 2008, 06:23:22 AM

I'm guessing then that you can't go around the realtor, since they showed you the property. This is where realtors/lawyers will help.

That's probably true, you may not be able to go around the agent, however, I think that's the sellers' problem.  After all, they're the ones who went around the agent by placing the ad themselves.  I say, play dumb.  Call the sellers directly and use they're advertised price as the starting point in negotiations.  If the agent finds out, play dumb.  Once you negotiate your price, it's up to the sellers to work their payment/fee to the realtor.

But, talk to your own realtor/lawyer, as Fork suggested.

Good luck.