News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,651 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1020 on: December 07, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
Ignore Yeti.  He's mostly wrong.

1) Your eyes cannot discern 1080p from 1080i or 720p unless you have a TV larger than 42 inches.  And the difference becomes really noticeable at sizes of 50 inches and up.

2) Just because you don't have a large TV and cannot benefit from 1080p doesn't mean you won't notice a high definition DVD picture over a standard def picture.  Just because you only had 50 watt speakers for your stereo, would you only limit yourself to listening to AM radio?

The issue with Blu-Ray is two fold.  First, the cheapest players are generally not BD Live capable.  Not sure if this is a big deal to you, but the sub-$200 players are already obsolete and cannot play the newest discs full features.  They CAN play the movie just fine.

The second is, is Blu-Ray just a place holder for HD on demand.

The second isn't that big a deal to me as the cost isn't that high to get one.  And even if BluRay goes away, it won't go away for a 2160p player anytime soon.  The DVDs you buy will play just fine and at the highest quality for years to come.

FYI, according to independent reviews, the best Blu-Ray player on the street today is the PS3.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1021 on: December 07, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 07, 2008, 07:06:53 PM

1) Your eyes cannot discern 1080p from 1080i or 720p unless you have a TV larger than 42 inches.  And the difference becomes really noticeable at sizes of 50 inches and up.

2) Just because you don't have a large TV and cannot benefit from 1080p doesn't mean you won't notice a high definition DVD picture over a standard def picture.  Just because you only had 50 watt speakers for your stereo, would you only limit yourself to listening to AM radio?

The issue with Blu-Ray is two fold.  First, the cheapest players are generally not BD Live capable.  Not sure if this is a big deal to you, but the sub-$200 players are already obsolete and cannot play the newest discs full features.  They CAN play the movie just fine.

The second isn't that big a deal to me as the cost isn't that high to get one.  And even if BluRay goes away, it won't go away for a 2160p player anytime soon.  The DVDs you buy will play just fine and at the highest quality for years to come.

FYI, according to independent reviews, the best Blu-Ray player on the street today is the PS3.

Ok. Ignore my awful, awful post. I guess it would be slightly important to point out the TV, I saw it on was a 50" with the 120Hz technology, which kind of supports your first point.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1022 on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:48 AM »
Just because you only had 50 watt speakers for your stereo, would you only limit yourself to listening to AM radio?

Do you perhaps have a newsletter in which one might find this analogy probed more deeply?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1023 on: December 08, 2008, 08:09:43 AM »
Recap for anyone who gives a shit about my real estate adventures:

We contacted the home owner about her ad on the online site.  She said she had an agreement with the real estate company that she could independently sell the place if the situation came up.  We told her we were informed of the place by the real estate agent, but they weren't able to show it to us as it was undergoing some repairs due to some storm damage.  She was happy selling without the real estate agent based upon this.  We felt a bit dodgy for going around the real estate agent, but, they didn't really do anything that my internet research accomplished. 

So when it came to negotiating the price, we super lowballed her with $335,000 (she was asking $359,000, agent was asking $365,000).  Her jaw dropped to the floor and she said she really wanted at least $350,000.  We said we couldn't safely do more than $340,000, but for $345,000 we could contact our mortgage broker and see if it was doable.  She said make the call.  We went outside and mimed on the phone for a bit, went in and made the deal.

So we are now purchasing a brick house on 1/4 of an acre for AU$345,000 in Brisbane.  In a suburb where the average price is $445,000 and house prices increased 13% last year.  We are quite happy.  Thanks for the advice, desipiots.  Truly the only site I ever need.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1024 on: December 08, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »
Congratulations, RD!

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1025 on: December 08, 2008, 01:40:30 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for a pair of headphones that will actually stay in my ears when I run, yet aren't these?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1026 on: December 08, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on December 08, 2008, 01:40:30 PM
Anyone have suggestions for a pair of headphones that will actually stay in my ears when I run, yet aren't these?

I use headphones like these when I work out.

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1027 on: December 08, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »

I've got some Sony ones that hook over the back of my ears that are comfortable, and would stay on if I were to do anything rash like running.

They look a bit like this :

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1028 on: December 08, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of ones that clipped over the backs of the ears.  The royal "they" keep scaring me away from ear buds, claiming they can damage hearing in the long-term.  Plus, my ear canals sweat like whores in church, so the buds keep slipping out.  Thanks, guys.  Are they pretty comfortable?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1029 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:49 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on December 08, 2008, 02:05:02 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of ones that clipped over the backs of the ears.  The royal "they" keep scaring me away from ear buds, claiming they can damage hearing in the long-term.  Plus, my ear canals sweat like whores in church, so the buds keep slipping out.  Thanks, guys.  Are they pretty comfortable?

Just carry one of these with you.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1030 on: December 08, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »

That's only mostly true.  It depends on the distance you're sitting from the TV.  On a 32 you'd have to be really close.  The farther away you sit the less capable (or bigger) your TV has to be.  For example...  On a 32 you could get away with 480p if you were to sit 10 feet away.  You'd be too far away and the screen would be to small to be able to discern a noticeable difference in 1080p.  But if you were 10 feet away and the screen was 65 inches, then it would be big enough and (more) worth it.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1031 on: December 08, 2008, 04:17:17 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on December 08, 2008, 04:13:03 PM

That's only mostly true.  It depends on the distance you're sitting from the TV.  On a 32 you'd have to be really close.  The farther away you sit the less capable (or bigger) your TV has to be.  For example...  On a 32 you could get away with 480p if you were to sit 10 feet away.  You'd be too far away and the screen would be to small to be able to discern a noticeable difference in 1080p.  But if you were 10 feet away and the screen was 65 inches, then it would be big enough and (more) worth it.

Fine.

1) Your eyes cannot discern 1080p from 1080i or 720p unless you have a TV larger than 42 inches or if you are sitting closer than 3 feet from the screen.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1032 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

Oleg and up?

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1033 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »
6 tickets for Section 436 Row 26 for tonight.  Face is $85.  25-yard line in the top section, west side (Bears sideline).

It's also not going to bet titsballs freezing, so there's that.

I'm going so I can meet anybody that's spontaneous enough to come down and grab any combination of 2,3,4, or all six. 

FIRE EVERYBODY!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1034 on: December 11, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »

Just turn the volume on the TV up louder so when you run from the living room the fridge you can still hear everything.  You won't need headphones that way.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!