News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,402 )

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1050 on: December 21, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
I've heard all sorts of great things about the Flip cameras.

The biggest downside, though, seems to be the lack of ability to expand beyond the 60 minute limit of the built-in memory.

This probably isn't a big deal for day-to-day use, but if you're taking it on a trip, that means either worrying about shooting too much and running out of space or packing along a laptop to offload your video on the go.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1051 on: December 21, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 21, 2008, 01:20:54 PM
Well, thank God you didn't decide on this abomination.

The Cat in the Hat is quite a disturbing book considering how young its audience is. This giant mutant cat shows up at the house while mom is out and proceeds to touch and play with everything while the kids look on in terror. They try to get this strange intruder to leave without success, and the cat proceeds to release two "things" which tear around the house, destroying everything. Sure, the cat cleans up everything in the end, but if you or I did this, we'd be lucky to be arrested and not shot on sight. I would expect children to have nightmares from this story.

I confess I was deeply disturbed by Seuss's parable, which pits the soul-crushing wickedness of a Satanic character ("Cat") against the unspoiled innocence and naivety of two suburban children.

Things come to a head when "Cat" seems on the point of morally subverting the universe itself, in a series of feats so nihilistic that the children are reducing to little more than blubbering idiots.

True, "Cat," in a whimsy, stays his paw at the end. But I can't help wondering if the children were so harrowed by the experience that they were ever after unable to return to the bright world above.

Either that, or those are excellently executed satirical posts on par with some of the best of this time.

Holy shit, that's crazy.  Unless these people are talking about the live-action Cat In The Hat movie, which was an absolute abortion.  For some reason they're running it as a "Christmas movie" this month on various channels, so I decided to see if it really was as bad as everyone says.  And it is.  Words can't convey how bad it is.  If Suess were alive today, he'd have blasted Mike Meyers in the kneecaps with a shotgun, and no jury would of convicted him.

I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1052 on: December 21, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
Quote from: CT II on December 21, 2008, 07:49:51 PM

The Cat in the Hat is quite a disturbing book considering how young its audience is. This giant mutant cat shows up at the house while mom is out and proceeds to touch and play with everything while the kids look on in terror. They try to get this strange intruder to leave without success, and the cat proceeds to release two "things" which tear around the house, destroying everything. Sure, the cat cleans up everything in the end, but if you or I did this, we'd be lucky to be arrested and not shot on sight. I would expect children to have nightmares from this story.

I confess I was deeply disturbed by Seuss's parable, which pits the soul-crushing wickedness of a Satanic character ("Cat") against the unspoiled innocence and naivety of two suburban children.

Things come to a head when "Cat" seems on the point of morally subverting the universe itself, in a series of feats so nihilistic that the children are reducing to little more than blubbering idiots.

True, "Cat," in a whimsy, stays his paw at the end. But I can't help wondering if the children were so harrowed by the experience that they were ever after unable to return to the bright world above.

Either that, or those are excellently executed satirical posts on par with some of the best of this time.

Holy shit, that's crazy.  Unless these people are talking about the live-action Cat In The Hat movie, which was an absolute abortion.  For some reason they're running it as a "Christmas movie" this month on various channels, so I decided to see if it really was as bad as everyone says.  And it is.  Words can't convey how bad it is.  If Suess were alive today, he'd have blasted Mike Meyers in the kneecaps with a shotgun, and no jury would of convicted him.

Thank god he redeemed himself with The Love Guru.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1053 on: December 21, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
Quote from: CT II on December 21, 2008, 07:49:51 PM

Heh.

This, on the other hand, is outstanding:

Quote1.0 out of 5 stars  Asinine, Boring Book, April 9, 1999

By A Customer

This book is SOOOOOOOO annoying! What's the deal with all the rhyming? That got on my last nerve. I can't believe this book is a children's "classic". This book does for childrens' books what Jim Jones did for children's drinks (kool-aid, that is). If you want a GREAT children's book, try "Atlas Shrugged" the pop-up book by Ayn Rand.

Marge: Maggie likes a bottle of warm milk before nap time.
Ms. Sinclair: A bottle? Mrs. Simpson, do you know what a baby is saying when she reaches for her bottle?
Marge: "Ba-ba"?
Ms. Sinclair: She's saying: "I am a leech."

"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1054 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:38 PM »
Quote from: Furious George on December 21, 2008, 07:05:42 PM

The biggest downside, though, seems to be the lack of ability to expand beyond the 60 minute limit of the built-in memory.

This probably isn't a big deal for day-to-day use, but if you're taking it on a trip, that means either worrying about shooting too much and running out of space or packing along a laptop to offload your video on the go.

And battery life is a factor, too (it can only be charged via the USB port).  So it has its limitations, thus it won't be great for everything, but one hour of video can last for most events.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1055 on: December 22, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on December 21, 2008, 11:56:38 PM

And battery life is a factor, too (it can only be charged via the USB port).  So it has its limitations, thus it won't be great for everything, but one hour of video can last for most events.

So is 60 minutes all I'm getting from a FLIP CAMERA?
Can I add in a card to extend/increase the memory?

How long is the battery life - I assume at least the 60 minutes?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1056 on: December 22, 2008, 02:00:43 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 22, 2008, 01:10:06 PM

How long is the battery life - I assume at least the 60 minutes?

For the sake of humor, I kind of wish the battery life was like 54 minutes exactly.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1057 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »

What part of "lack of ability to expand beyond the 60 minute limit of the built-in memory" do you not understand, dammit?

In other words: yes to the 60 minute limit, no to the ability to add memory via a flash card.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1058 on: December 22, 2008, 04:33:19 PM »
Quote from: Furious George on December 22, 2008, 02:48:50 PM

What part of "lack of ability to expand beyond the 60 minute limit of the built-in memory" do you not understand, dammit?

In other words: yes to the 60 minute limit, no to the ability to add memory via a flash card.

Memory expansion is limited only by your ability to purchase more Flip cameras.  I've never shot 60 minutes continuously, but I have gone weeks between charging, shooting 5-min clips here and there.  The company claims "up to" 2 hours for the Mino HD, "up to" 4 hours for the Mino. 

CNet MinoHD
CNet Mino

This might end up being overkill, but just in case it's helpful.
Flip Mino vs Flip Ultra comparison
Flip Ultra vs Kodak Zi6
Flip Mino vs Kodak Zi6 (recommends the Flip)

Saved the most useful for last:
Direct comparison of video quality between Flip MinoHD and Kodak Zi6.  Flip wins in a blowout.

In the last one, he mentions that if you want to shoot events (weddings, etc) you will want the Kodak.  The video quality will be worse, but if it has more storage and more battery, at least the footage of Minute 61+ will actually, you know, exist.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I used my Flip to shoot a baseball game from my spot in the press box.  It wasn't running the whole time, but I did have it prepared for any highlights.  It still had enough juice at the end of the three-hour ballgame, but only if I made sure to charge it up completely before the game.  I had clips as long as 20 minutes on there, then I would stop between innings, delete the last clip if nothing good happened in that half-inning, and restart it at the beginning of the next half-inning.  And like all Lithium-Ion batteries, eventually, the battery capacity will decrease below a full hour.  That depends on how frequently it's used, how many times it's been charged, blah blah blah.  Since I used mine every single day for like three months, by the end, it couldn't get through the whole time, it would need about a 5 or 10 minute boost to finish the ballgame.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #1059 on: December 22, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
Don't those Mino cameras also lack any ability to zoom?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1060 on: December 22, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on December 22, 2008, 05:41:35 PM

What camera is best for man-on-scorpion pictures?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #1061 on: December 22, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »
Quote from: JD on December 22, 2008, 05:44:32 PM

What camera is best for man-on-scorpion pictures?

The RED Digital Cinema line, shooting at 28000x9334 resolution, naturally.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1062 on: December 22, 2008, 06:13:14 PM »

Yes, zooming is accomplished by walking forward.  (It has digital zoom, but it looks like garbage.  Blurry garbage.)

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1063 on: December 22, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on December 22, 2008, 06:13:14 PM

Yes, zooming is accomplished by walking forward.  (It has digital zoom, but it looks like garbage.  Blurry garbage.)

The Flip cameras are designed for maximum simplicity.

Just aim and hit "record."

Lack of features is the whole point.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1064 on: December 22, 2008, 06:48:07 PM »
Quote from: Furious George on December 22, 2008, 06:42:45 PM
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on December 22, 2008, 06:13:14 PM

The Flip cameras are designed for maximum simplicity.

Just aim and hit "record."

Lack of features is the whole point.

Indeed.  Given its simplicity, I'd rather they just not include digital zoom at all.  It's useless.