News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,746 )

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1065 on: December 22, 2008, 07:00:12 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on December 22, 2008, 05:58:13 PM
Quote from: JD on December 22, 2008, 05:44:32 PM
Quote from: Timmy B on December 22, 2008, 05:41:35 PM
Don't those Mino cameras also lack any ability to zoom?

What camera is best for man-on-scorpion pictures?

The RED Digital Cinema line, shooting at 28000x9334 resolution, naturally.

Thanks.  Me and the wife are having some friends over tomorrow night for a Christmas party.  We got eggnog, mistletoe, and a giant scorpion.  When things turn to the inevitable, I wanna be ready.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1066 on: December 22, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »
Quote from: JD on December 22, 2008, 07:00:12 PM

Thanks.  Me and the wife are having some friends over tomorrow night for a Christmas party.  We got eggnog, mistletoe, and a giant scorpion.  When things turn to the inevitable, I wanna be ready.

You mean pleasant conversation and general good times had by all?

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1067 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on December 22, 2008, 07:04:11 PM

Great times with great friends make memories that keep a person sane in this crazy mixed up world we live in.  I wish you ALL good times and great oldies.

And scorpion sex.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1068 on: December 23, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
Quote from: JD on December 22, 2008, 08:36:09 PM
Quote from: 5laky on December 22, 2008, 07:04:11 PM

Great times with great friends make memories that keep a person sane in this crazy mixed up world we live in.  I wish you ALL good times and great oldies.

And scorpion sex.

Did someone say scorpion secks?

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1069 on: December 23, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »

We just shot our commercials the past two days with the RED.

I think it's probably a little out of the "home use" price range, JD.

Even for Scorpion Sex.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

JD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1070 on: December 23, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 23, 2008, 10:42:02 AM

We just shot our commercials the past two days with the RED.

I think it's probably a little out of the "home use" price range, JD.

Even for Scorpion Sex.

I'll use whatever camera can best capture my even tan, thankyouverymuch.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1071 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »
So, I recently acquired an XM Radio for Xmas and I am attempting to figure out which of the subscription packages to get.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Specifically, does anyone know how much the multi-year or year-long plans cost?

First time caller, so I'll hang up and wait for my response.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1072 on: January 06, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on January 06, 2009, 03:06:59 PM
So, I recently acquired an XM Radio for Xmas and I am attempting to figure out which of the subscription packages to get.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Specifically, does anyone know how much the multi-year or year-long plans cost?

Intrepid Reader: Angry Huey

Maybe you should get your car fixed before you upgrade the radio.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1073 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »

BABA BOOEY!
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1074 on: January 06, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »

Based on their financial situation, I wouldn't go with a multi-year plan.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1075 on: January 07, 2009, 06:39:47 AM »

I've had Sirius Lifetime for a couple years. So I should get another year or so out of it.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

DwightKurtz

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1076 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »

Get the Sirius package so you can listen to the Howard stations.  The afternoon drive show on 101 is the funniest shit on radio.

/obvious response
"I will say that Kurt's pride in/self-awarenss of his geekhood is quite admirable." - Penfoe
So long, and thanks for all the fish

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1077 on: January 24, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
Laptops? Specifically Apple. I am probably going to buy a new laptop by the end of the year. Hopefully it's within a couple of months from now if I have it my way. I currently have a Gateway with Vista on it and I don't have any issues with Vista but I really like Apple computers and I'm thinking I would prefer to go that route. The fact that you can either partition the HD and run Mac OS and Windows is awesome, along with other programs allowing them to simultaneously run them. Any of you computer nherds have any suggestions on what to look for specifically and if this is the best option to go, bearing in mind the release of Windows 7 (later this year, maybe?)?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1078 on: January 24, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »
It depends on what you're looking to do with it.  Also, if price is a factor, I recommend refurbs from the Apple Store.  Same warranty you get with a new one.

MacBook Air - Starts at $1799.  (Refurb for only $999.)  If ultimate portability is your number one concern.  Also for show-offs and early adopters.

MacBook - Starts at $999 and $1299.  Better performance over MacBook Air, delivers a 13" screen.  Comes in white and, if you spend more for a faster processor, black.  (I forgot they switched to the silver and black on the MacBooks.  You can still get a white or black one if you go refurb.)  This is the "entry level" Apple portable, designed for light to heavy web browsing, email, normal day-to-day family photo editing and home video making.  Sure, it can run programs like Logic (which is Pro Tools by Apple) and Final Cut, but it's not really ideal.  It's not like it can't run them or that it will crash every time, but you just won't have the performance you get with the MBP.  As long as you're not a 'pro' user, this is a great choice for your typical daily use.  Also very popular among students and is very portable.

15" MacBook Pro - Starts at $1999.  The next step up is 15".  Better performance over MacBook, much better graphics and video.  This will handle programs like Photoshop, Final Cut, and Logic with ease.  MacBook Pro 15" is for when you need more power than the MacBook and a bigger screen, but still some degree of portability.  I would probably pay $50 to have a matte screen, because I hate glossy, but that's just me.

17" MacBook Pro - Starts at $2799.  The top of the line of Apple's offerings.  (And what I'm typing on right now).  If you need to do intensive HD video editing, audio editing, or photo editing with large RAW images, or the equivalent, this is your machine.  You pay a bit of a premium for it, but this has been by far the best computer I've ever owned.  Going on three years now, I haven't regretted my purchase a single time.  Worth every penny, still runs as fast as it did when i bought it.  I've reinstalled the OS once just because of all the stuff that builds up over time, but not because it was unusable.  While it is lighter than just about any other 17" laptop you can buy, it is the heaviest of these options, and large enough to fit a 17" screen.  So if you carry it around a lot, be prepared for the weight.  I invested in a specially designed backpack for that purpose.

If you have any questions about Apple or Mac OS X, I can help you out.  As for Windows 7, there are some parts of it that are pretty cool, but from what I'm reading it's basically a much-improved Vista SP2.  That you shouldn't have to pay again for.  IMO.

By the way, while you're looking at Apple, if you buy one, I'd also recommend either an AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule (if you don't have a USB hard drive you can plug into APEBS).  This will let you do backups wirelessly, as well as host your iTunes library wirelessly so you can save space on your own machine and not have to lug an external hard drive all over the house when you want to play your songs.  All of my friends, even the most diehard Windows fans, love Apple's wireless peripherals.  They're also fast - 802.11n.

Here's a page that compares all of Apple's portables.

And finally, here's where you can score some discounts.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1079 on: January 24, 2009, 08:38:27 PM »
I've got a 15.4" MacBook Pro for my job (it's the last revision, not the new ones). 

Pros: light weight for a full featured 15.4, extremely well manufactured, good battery life, free for me

Cons: Low resolution for a 15.4 (1400x900), expensive compared to other options

I also consider OS X a con because there's simply not a lot of software for it, it crashed just as much
as vista, and it's equally accessible in my eyes.

If you have the money, it's a really nice piece of hardware.  But I have a hard time recommending
it on the basis of value.