News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,793 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1305 on: May 29, 2009, 08:02:22 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on May 29, 2009, 07:36:49 AM
Quote from: Wheezer on May 29, 2009, 04:13:45 AM
Is anyone familiar with rude Peruvian hand gestures?  I'm specifically wondering about holding up the right hand palm-forward with fingers curled at the second knuckle and thumb extended to the gesturer's left.

I'm going to risk responding to a Wheezer post now. 

http://www.aquiziam.com/rudegestures.html

Did I do that right?

I don't exclude the possibility that I may have been had years ago, but the one I'm thinking of isn't there.  It's physically simple, although probably not automatic:  splay your right hand on a table; curl in your fingers but leave the thumb where it was; hold the whole thing up.

There may be nuances in terms of axially waggling the hand and/or drawing in the thumb.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1306 on: May 29, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 29, 2009, 08:02:22 AM
Is anyone familiar with rude Peruvian hand gestures?  I'm specifically wondering about holding up the right hand palm-forward with fingers curled at the second knuckle and thumb extended to the gesturer's left.

Did I do that right?

I don't exclude the possibility that I may have been had years ago, but the one I'm thinking of isn't there.  It's physically simple, although probably not automatic:  splay your right hand on a table; curl in your fingers but leave the thumb where it was; hold the whole thing up.

There may be nuances in terms of axially waggling the hand and/or drawing in the thumb.

Perhaps it was Pakistani?

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1307 on: May 29, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
You just got dissed, Broseph.

QuoteMoutza (palm of hand)
Main article: Moutza

In most places, a palm raised towards somebody means "stop".

In Greece, the palm of the hand thrust towards somebody with the fingers splayed is an offensive gesture similar, but bearing less offense, to giving the finger. The gesture is known in Greek as "moutza". It originates from the Byzantine punishment of parading a chained criminal around town with his face smeared with cinder, or moutzos in Greek. An even more offensive version is achieved by using both hands to double the gesture, and smacking the palm of one hand against the back of the other, in the direction of the intended recipient. Both the one-handed and the two-handed versions of this gesture can be (and often are) combined with the term "na!", meaning "here you go!" or "there!",or "parta!", meaning "take those/this" or "na, malaka!", meaning "there, you wanker!" In Latin America, something similar is used. Except when the fingers touch the top of the palm as if one holds a baseball to throw a knuckleball. Usually when thrusted (bottom of the palm pointed to the person) to the person it means "fuck you." If the thrust is started from the rib cage then its generally meant to "fuck your mother." This gesture is highly offensive.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1308 on: May 29, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »

You forgot this one...

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #1309 on: May 29, 2009, 08:52:53 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on May 29, 2009, 08:02:22 AM

Did I do that right?

Family is from Peru...  never heard of it; but it could be something from the Andes or some small town in the middle of nowhere.  In Lima, there is a lot of hand gesturing and fingerpointing in heated moments, but no consistency.  They understand the middle finger, but I've not seen it used by many at all. 

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1310 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 29, 2009, 08:21:11 AM
In Greece, the palm of the hand thrust towards somebody with the fingers splayed is an offensive gesture similar, but bearing less offense, to giving the finger. The gesture is known in Greek as "moutza". It originates from the Byzantine punishment of parading a chained criminal around town with his face smeared with cinder, or moutzos in Greek. An even more offensive version is achieved by using both hands to double the gesture, and smacking the palm of one hand against the back of the other, in the direction of the intended recipient. Both the one-handed and the two-handed versions of this gesture can be (and often are) combined with the term "na!", meaning "here you go!" or "there!",or "parta!", meaning "take those/this" or "na, malaka!", meaning "there, you wanker!" In Latin America, something similar is used. Except when the fingers touch the top of the palm as if one holds a baseball to throw a knuckleball. Usually when thrusted (bottom of the palm pointed to the person) to the person it means "fuck you." If the thrust is started from the rib cage then its generally meant to "fuck your mother." This gesture is highly offensive.

Verily, the only site I will ever need.  "Moutza"-->"chucha"?  This may take a while.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1311 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:55 AM »
Quote from: powen01 on May 29, 2009, 08:52:53 AM
Family is from Peru...  never heard of it; but it could be something from the Andes or some small town in the middle of nowhere.  In Lima, there is a lot of hand gesturing and fingerpointing in heated moments, but no consistency.  They understand the middle finger, but I've not seen it used by many at all. 

The messenger was a temporary Rotarian hostage from Lima, but it was more than 20 years ago.  He may have pulled an Ole Rolvaag.  Maybe.

P.S.  Empanadas and De La Soul.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1312 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
Any hand gesture should be greeted with an immediate punch to the nose.  Exceptions being high fives and blind people (although that's a tricky one).
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1313 on: May 29, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on May 29, 2009, 10:36:16 AM
Exceptions being high fives and blind people (although that's a tricky one).

Tricky indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4AHHVT58NE

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1314 on: May 29, 2009, 11:11:09 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on May 29, 2009, 10:36:16 AM
Any hand gesture should be greeted with an immediate punch to the nose.  Exceptions being high fives and blind people (although that's a tricky one).

Blind people use sign language now?

What a time to be alive.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1315 on: May 29, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 29, 2009, 08:21:11 AM
You just got dissed, Broseph.

QuoteMoutza (palm of hand)
Main article: Moutza

b]In Latin America, something similar is used. Except when the fingers touch the top of the palm as if one holds a baseball to throw a knuckleball. Usually when thrusted (bottom of the palm pointed to the person) to the person it means "fuck you." If the thrust is started from the rib cage then its generally meant to "fuck your mother." This gesture is highly offensive

If I remember correctly, that was my fraternity's secret handshake.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1316 on: June 01, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1317 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1318 on: June 05, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
I would have posed this question in the SBox, but Obama's OPM and NLRB minions have decided to restrict said website from our office computers.  Similarly, I would have posed this question in Mom's Basement, but that area frightens and confuses me.

So, a friend of mine has downloaded Mortal Kombat II from the Playstation Store and uses it on his PS3.  I would like to get his copy of the game, so I don't have to, you know, pay for it.  Is such an arrangement possible?  Could I log into the store with his name and redownload it, or could he redownload it, save it to a USB, and then email it me?

I'll hang up and wait for my response.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1319 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on June 05, 2009, 02:47:14 PM
Could I log into the store with his name and redownload it

Does this help?