News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,727 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1380 on: July 29, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on July 29, 2009, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:24:47 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 29, 2009, 01:17:16 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:09:52 PM
I have a vague question about which I can't really provide any details, and about which I'm technically a dolt.  However, you guys are good, so here goes.

We have a Canon HD video camera.  Shooting and stuff looks great, and playing it back on the camera or hooked up to the TV looks terrific.  However, when I upload video from the camera to the computer, the best way to describe it is that it adds these vertical-looking lines to the video, and it just looks terrible.  If I were home, I'd upload an example (and I will, later, if no one can answer the question), but does anyone know offhand what I might be doing wrong?  The settings I'm using to shoot?  Something I need to do to process the video on my computer?

I'm such a tech moron, that I can't even describe the issue well enough to Google it and find an answer, but maybe you guys know what I'm trying to describe.

Have you ever changed the settings or just using the original ones?

I'm just using the original ones.

Depending on what software you're using to upload it, there may be a setting that lets you determine video quality of the transfer.  I'm sure it defaults to a lower setting so you're not getting really large files that take up a lot of space on your HDD.

Hmm.  That very well may be.  I'll have to check that out.
Hire Jim Essian!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1381 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 29, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
I have a vague question about which I can't really provide any details, and about which I'm technically a dolt.  However, you guys are good, so here goes.

We have a Canon HD video camera.  Shooting and stuff looks great, and playing it back on the camera or hooked up to the TV looks terrific.  However, when I upload video from the camera to the computer, the best way to describe it is that it adds these vertical-looking lines to the video, and it just looks terrible.  If I were home, I'd upload an example (and I will, later, if no one can answer the question), but does anyone know offhand what I might be doing wrong?  The settings I'm using to shoot?  Something I need to do to process the video on my computer?

I'm such a tech moron, that I can't even describe the issue well enough to Google it and find an answer, but maybe you guys know what I'm trying to describe.

Are you using an HDMI cable or Firewire?

It's definitely not HDMI.  I think it's just a standard USB connection.  But wouldn't that just affect the time it takes to upload and not the quality of the upload, anyhow?
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1382 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 01:40:17 PM

It's definitely not HDMI.  I think it's just a standard USB connection.  But wouldn't that just affect the time it takes to upload and not the quality of the upload, anyhow?

Can you even use an HDMI cable for data transfer?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1383 on: July 29, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on July 29, 2009, 01:48:34 PM

Isn't HD just code being moved from source to destination?

And the type of cable can have an effect on signal, as the data throughput can (but not necessarily will) degrade.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1384 on: July 29, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 29, 2009, 02:01:53 PM

And the type of cable can have an effect on signal, as the data throughput can (but not necessarily will) degrade.
Sounds like a codec issue.  What format is your HD Video file?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1385 on: July 29, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 29, 2009, 03:14:27 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 29, 2009, 02:01:53 PM

I thought it just transferred over as an MPEG, but I'll have to double-check.
Hire Jim Essian!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1386 on: July 29, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 03:16:21 PM

My Canon HF10 makes .MTS files.  I had to install a new codec into Media Player and they now play back great.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1387 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 29, 2009, 03:31:53 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on July 29, 2009, 03:16:21 PM

My Canon HF10 makes .MTS files.  I had to install a new codec into Media Player and they now play back great.

Well, that just might be it.  I'll take back exactly one thing I've said about you.  Your choice.
Hire Jim Essian!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1388 on: August 03, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone?  Does the program work?  Anything work better?  I'm looking to learn me some Spanish.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1389 on: August 04, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »
Quote from: PiniellaTailOnTheDonkey on August 03, 2009, 11:04:46 PM
Anyone have experience with Rosetta Stone?  Does the program work?  Anything work better?  I'm looking to learn me some Spanish.

It seems awfully expensive for what is probably not a ground-breaking pedagogical experience.  I'd venture that $6 for a copy of An Invitation to Spanish ("A Gay and Simple Guide," for which I hold some fondness) by Margarita & Ezequías Madrigal, if it's still in print, would be better spent.

The methodological statement alluding to "learning the way children learn" language is also puzzling.  They probably don't really mean it (unless they posit some extant Chomskian grammatical language-muscle), but first language acquisition obviously does not proceed in a particularly rapid fashion.  Throw in the $999 top tier, and I'm skeptical.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1390 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »

We live in America.  Who fucking cares?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1391 on: August 04, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on August 04, 2009, 07:38:10 AM

Ah, yes, there it is.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1392 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 04, 2009, 06:19:19 AM

It seems awfully expensive for what is probably not a ground-breaking pedagogical experience.  I'd venture that $6 for a copy of An Invitation to Spanish ("A Gay and Simple Guide," for which I hold some fondness) by Margarita & Ezequías Madrigal, if it's still in print, would be better spent.

The methodological statement alluding to "learning the way children learn" language is also puzzling.  They probably don't really mean it (unless they posit some extant Chomskian grammatical language-muscle), but first language acquisition obviously does not proceed in a particularly rapid fashion.  Throw in the $999 top tier, and I'm skeptical.

DPD.  Thank you, Wheezer.  Thank you, Only Site.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1393 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
Quote from: TDubbs on August 04, 2009, 07:38:10 AM

It's as though John Huston's remains were somehow stashed away in a giant sugar egg.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1394 on: August 04, 2009, 08:38:14 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 04, 2009, 06:19:19 AM

Dirty commie.