News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,343 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1470 on: September 24, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 24, 2009, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 24, 2009, 04:56:13 PM
Quote from: HST Redux on September 24, 2009, 02:00:50 PM
I have a home theatre setup with an SD projector in the basement. Combine it with a nice stereo system, and it's just fantastic. You need the right room and lighting for it to work. I wouldn't really recommend it as your everyday TV though. The bulbs have a short life (1k-2k hours or so) and are very expensive ($200 for my SD projector).

I'll add that a true 1080 HDTV projector is quite a bit more expensive than a decent 40-inch HDTV. You also need to factor in that good projector screens (with decent reflectivity) aren't cheap either. About $100 for the cheapest.

I spoke with several people on this issue yesterday and almost uniformly the position was akin to yours.  So, I am just going to go with the TV itself.  Once I get out of an apartment and into a house with a basement, then we'll set up a projector.

Thank you, gentlehommes.

Sounds like LA Gil's gonna be living pretty large off that labor law money.

Performance bonus, mouthbreathers!  But in all honesty, I live pretty modestly.  Except those Egyptian cotton dress shirts. 

Some things you can't skimp on quality.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1471 on: September 25, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
I'm sorry to bring THE BASEMENT out of its cave of sadness, but I have a 360 question.  I must have screwed up a setting somewhere along the way, but all of a sudden, my 360 won't play audio when streaming video or playing downloaded video.  The audio plays fine everywhere else: in the dashboard, in downloaded games, and in disc games.  Now that I think of it, I haven't tried a DVD, but I assume that's okay, too.

One Google search netted me an answer that I should switch the console setting from displaying 720p to 1080p (or vice-versa), but I've already tried that to no avail.  I even tried switching to 480p.  I'm running HDMI cables through a receiver, and I have made sure that nothing is loose (which would make no sense, anyhow, since the audio everywhere else is fine).  I'm assuming it has to be a setting I'm missing, but I can't out-Google this issue.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Hire Jim Essian!

Poon

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1472 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 25, 2009, 09:06:51 AM
I'm sorry to bring THE BASEMENT out of its cave of sadness, but I have a 360 question.  I must have screwed up a setting somewhere along the way, but all of a sudden, my 360 won't play audio when streaming video or playing downloaded video.  The audio plays fine everywhere else: in the dashboard, in downloaded games, and in disc games.  Now that I think of it, I haven't tried a DVD, but I assume that's okay, too.

One Google search netted me an answer that I should switch the console setting from displaying 720p to 1080p (or vice-versa), but I've already tried that to no avail.  I even tried switching to 480p.  I'm running HDMI cables through a receiver, and I have made sure that nothing is loose (which would make no sense, anyhow, since the audio everywhere else is fine).  I'm assuming it has to be a setting I'm missing, but I can't out-Google this issue.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you stream them from a PC using Vista or do you have TVersity or something like that working as the go between?  I guess that wouldn't matter that much if downloaded video's aren't playing.

Could something be screwed up with the media center updates?  I know another update came out the other day but don't know if any media center thingies were included.  Couldn't hurt to delete any media center updates and let the nerdbox redownload them.  I guess you could delete all xbox updates and let the nerdbox redownload them. 

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1473 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 25, 2009, 09:06:51 AM

If it's just on downloaded/streaming video, it might be a codec issue. What kind of file are you trying to play? Are you able to play it successfully on your computer?

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1474 on: September 25, 2009, 09:24:05 AM »
It's only Marketplace stuff, so I sure hope it's not a codec issue.  If, for example, I want to stare at Jessica Chobot, I can't even stream the IGN tips show, or whatever the hell it's called.  I guess I don't need audio, but still.

Similarly, the only stuff I've downloaded has been Marketplace stuff (trailers, for example).
Hire Jim Essian!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1475 on: September 25, 2009, 09:35:41 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 25, 2009, 09:24:05 AM
It's only Marketplace stuff, so I sure hope it's not a codec issue.  If, for example, I want to stare at Jessica Chobot, I can't even stream the IGN tips show, or whatever the hell it's called.  I guess I don't need audio, but still.

Similarly, the only stuff I've downloaded has been Marketplace stuff (trailers, for example).

You might try hooking it up with component/RCA cables and see if there's still no audio. If not, considering the files you're playing, the issue would have to be something wrong with 1) the latest Dashboard update; 2) an incorrect audio setting; or 3) your HDMI cable.

If there is audio via RCA, then the issue is your receiver or the HDMI cable (although that feels pretty improbable).

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1476 on: September 25, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 25, 2009, 09:35:41 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 25, 2009, 09:24:05 AM

You might try hooking it up with component/RCA cables and see if there's still no audio. If not, considering the files you're playing, the issue would have to be something wrong with 1) the latest Dashboard update; 2) an incorrect audio setting; or 3) your HDMI cable.

If there is audio via RCA, then the issue is your receiver or the HDMI cable (although that feels pretty improbable).

Thanks for the tips.  I'll have to give that a shot.  For what it's worth, this happened prior to the latest update.  I think I was monkeying around with some settings, but I'm pretty sure I returned them all to what they were.  I wonder if I should return the console to the factory settings and start over.
Hire Jim Essian!

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1477 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
AT&T question for you cellphone dudes:

-Back in February, my wife renewed her contract with AT&T for two years.  In exchange she got a complete piece of crap phone.  She has since decided that she hates this phone so much that she wants an Iphone.  AT&T, however, will not give her the "new subscriber" price (ie, the $200 subsidy), because she is in the middle of a contract.  This does not make sense to my caveman mind - why would she be treated as a 3G subscriber when she has never had the benefit of the lowest pricing? (other than corporate greed, of course).  

Any advice on what to do next?  I've tried the AT&T store and 800 number to no avail.

Thanks.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1478 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on September 25, 2009, 09:51:37 AM

-Back in February, my wife renewed her contract with AT&T for two years.  In exchange she got a complete piece of crap phone.  She has since decided that she hates this phone so much that she wants an Iphone.  AT&T, however, will not give her the "new subscriber" price (ie, the $200 subsidy), because she is in the middle of a contract.  This does not make sense to my caveman mind - why would she be treated as a 3G subscriber when she has never had the benefit of the lowest pricing? (other than corporate greed, of course).  

Any advice on what to do next?  I've tried the AT&T store and 800 number to no avail.

Thanks.

Scream and holler until they give you what you want.  That usually works for me.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1479 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »

Thanks.

I would imagine the subsidy for the piece of crap phone that she hates is priced into this current 2-year contract, and that they're unlikely to be willing to subsidize another phone (to the tune of $500) until she's 'paid that one off.'
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1480 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »

Thanks.

Pretty sure you have to wait 18-20 months to get a cheaper upgrade, and based off of what you're describing, that's basically what you are wanting to do: upgrade her phone.

air2300

• Hank White Fan Club
    • air2300
« Reply #1481 on: September 25, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on September 25, 2009, 10:14:12 AM

Thanks.

Pretty sure you have to wait 18-20 months to get a cheaper upgrade, and based off of what you're describing, that's basically what you are wanting to do: upgrade her phone.
Yea, it's 20 months with At&T.  And they will make you wait 20 months even if your phone is not working before you can upgrade.  Not much you can do here besides pay the full price or keep the phone. 

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1482 on: September 25, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. 

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1483 on: September 25, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
Quote from: air2300 on September 25, 2009, 10:24:44 AM

Thanks.

Yea, it's 20 months with At&T.  And they will make you wait 20 months even if your phone is not working before you can upgrade.  Not much you can do here besides pay the full price or keep the phone. 

or buy insurance and then a week later turn the phone in because it's not working to get a replacement.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1484 on: September 25, 2009, 12:22:09 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on September 25, 2009, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: air2300 on September 25, 2009, 10:24:44 AM

Thanks.

or buy insurance and then a week later turn the phone in because it's not working to get a replacement.

The problem lies with you not getting an iPhone in the first place.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.