News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,673 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1590 on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:27 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 17, 2009, 05:50:21 PM
Question for IT pros out there: I'm working on getting some certs with a friend of mine. We figure we sit around and piss away our evenings so why not try and make something useful out of them?

I've been doing Microsoft licensing for over three years but it's not really IT. Anyone able to point me in the right direction as far as what certs I should start working on? Right now I'm just doing Network +. But after that I'm not too sure what I should focus on.

So what do I need on my resume (besides the licensing experience) to be seriously considered for a well paying job?

If this is too vague, I can expand on anything.

I work in IT (right next to Huey's brother), depends on what you want to do within IT.

This list seems pretty good.
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=464&tag=content;leftCol

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1591 on: November 18, 2009, 09:20:31 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 18, 2009, 09:08:00 AM
Quote from: MAD on November 18, 2009, 08:53:15 AM
I unplugged my router and plugged it back in and now my computer doesn't recognize it even when I hit "Refresh Network List".  My warranty at Linksys is up so they can't help me, and I thought I'd throw this out there before I re-up as it seems like a terribly simple problem requiring a terribly simple solution.

Please advise.

Have you plugged directly into the router to see if you have a connection? If so, and it still doesn't work, it's a router problem and not a computer problem.

You try this? (http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router)

1. Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
  2. Locate, on the back of your Linksys router, the small button that reads Reset
  3. Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
  4. Wait for your Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on. (On the router)
  5. Plug in or turn on your modem.(if it is separate from the router)
  6. Open your web browser to see if you have an internet connection. If you still don't have an internet connection you may need to restart your computer.
  7. You may need to open up the web GUI setup from your PC (192.168.1.1 is default router address). Go to status, and release or renew the DHCP until you get an IP address.

Typically, when you reset your router, you also need to reset your cable modem.

In IT, we can get away with using words like "typically" as disclaimers, so if it doesn't work, we can say we used the word "typically".  It's even better when you're in tech sales and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about anyway.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1592 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »
For the students out there

Quote"For a limited time, eligible college students can get the sweetest deal on Windows 7 - for only $29.99 USD. That's less than most of your textbooks! Hurry — offer ends January 3, 2010 at 12:00 am CST"

Say what you want about the OS but $30.00 is a nice deal if someone was so inclined to get it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1593 on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 18, 2009, 11:38:32 AM
For the students out there

Quote"For a limited time, eligible college students can get the sweetest deal on Windows 7 - for only $29.99 USD. That's less than most of your textbooks! Hurry — offer ends January 3, 2010 at 12:00 am CST"

Say what you want about the OS but $30.00 is a nice deal if someone was so inclined to get it.

That's not really better than "free".

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1594 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
What are the policies/laws if any for reporting an police officer for traffic violations for unnecessarily breaking traffic laws? Or am I just being a bitter sumbitch?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1595 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:59 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 19, 2009, 10:16:58 PM
What are the policies/laws if any for reporting an police officer for traffic violations for unnecessarily breaking traffic laws? Or am I just being a bitter sumbitch?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

But, seriously, you're bitter.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #1596 on: November 20, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »

Did the pig cut in front of you at the Dairy Queen line?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1597 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:29 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 19, 2009, 11:30:59 PM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

But, seriously, you're bitter.

Gil stands with the Brother Cops.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1598 on: November 20, 2009, 06:52:50 AM »
Quote from: powen01 on November 20, 2009, 12:42:31 AM

Did the pig cut in front of you at the Dairy Queen line?

I take my DQ very seriously.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1599 on: November 20, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

I'd call the superintendant of whichever dept. he's in - if he's just lighting up to beat traffic lights then shutting them off again once he's through, chances are he's done it before, and there will be paperwork on him.

These types of privileges, sadly, always have abusers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1600 on: November 20, 2009, 08:18:04 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 20, 2009, 08:07:15 AM

I'd call the superintendant of whichever dept. he's in - if he's just lighting up to beat traffic lights then shutting them off again once he's through, chances are he's done it before, and there will be paperwork on him.

It was more of me seeing him roll on through a stop sign at around 15-20 mph. I was also pissed b/c he pulled me over about 5 minutes before it. I didn't get a ticket, but getting pulled over 10 ft away from your exit is frustrating.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1601 on: November 20, 2009, 08:25:19 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 20, 2009, 08:18:04 AM
Quote from: Fork on November 20, 2009, 08:07:15 AM

It was more of me seeing him roll on through a stop sign at around 15-20 mph. I was also pissed b/c he pulled me over about 5 minutes before it. I didn't get a ticket, but getting pulled over 10 ft away from your exit is frustrating.

You can call and report it, but I guarantee it won't go anywhere. Although, if he ever hurts anyone during a rolling stop, there's a lawsuit bigger than Kelly Kapoor's ass being filed.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1602 on: November 20, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »

You could try stopping at stop signs when you're driving.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1603 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:56 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 20, 2009, 08:48:09 AM

Actually, I could try not going 74 in a 65, changing my headlight, changing my license plate light, signaling when I change lanes, and changing my address on my license to my current one. But that's it.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1604 on: November 20, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 20, 2009, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 20, 2009, 08:48:09 AM

Actually, I could try not going 74 in a 65, changing my headlight, changing my license plate light, signaling when I change lanes, and changing my address on my license to my current one. But that's it.

Ha!  Fork's got a good point, but most likely your complaint would go into the big file, aka the trashbin. 

As for this, I still use my IL license.  I'm leaving CA soon anyway, but it's been a while with it out here.  I wouldn't sweat that.