News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,341 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1650 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:19 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on November 30, 2009, 07:04:32 AM
Does anyone know if there's any reason a 500 GB Seagate Expansion external drive that claims to require OS X 10.4.8 or higher wouldn't actually work on 10.3.9?

It should work, although it comes formatted as NTFS out of the box, so you will need to reformat to gain write access. I don't see any specific fixes on the 10.4.8 update page that really stick out, although I guess it might have something to do with this:

QuoteAddresses an issue in which some USB devices connected to a PCI card may not be recognized after starting up or waking the computer.

This is totally speculative, but Seagate has some power management functionality on the Expansion drives to turn them off when not in use. Maybe the drive turns itself off and pre-10.4.8 versions have trouble waking it up. Then again, reformatting might remove the power manager altogether. Again, total speculation.

I'd just order from a place with a good return policy. I know NewEgg will give you a full refund within 30 days of purchase; I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1651 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:52 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on November 30, 2009, 09:11:19 AM
This is totally speculative, but Seagate has some power management functionality on the Expansion drives to turn them off when not in use. Maybe the drive turns itself off and pre-10.4.8 versions have trouble waking it up. Then again, reformatting might remove the power manager altogether. Again, total speculation.

I'd just order from a place with a good return policy. I know NewEgg will give you a full refund within 30 days of purchase; I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Now that makes sense. In any event, I couldn't resist at $50 from NewEgg even before I had an inkling of what the issue might be. Thanks.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1652 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 26, 2009, 09:59:16 AM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 26, 2009, 07:30:55 AM
Yes, no, maybe??

Great picture, cannot wall mount.  Bulb burns out, but fairly cheap to replace.  Also takes a few minutes for the picture to full project as the bulb has to warm up.  Only reason to pass on DLP is the size.

That model has 3 HDMIs, 3 Component, and a PC hook up.  Seems pretty good.

Price is terrific.

DO NOT BUY HDMI CABLES AT BEST BUY.

I never did get this TV. Was talked out of it. However, I got a warning on my TV today that my bulb was going low so I had to drop $140 for a new one.. Nice choice, Yeti.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1653 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »
Hey, dudes.  I need Bears-related assistance.  I'm going to a game for the first time since the McNabb playoff disaster in '01, and I need relevant tailgating advice.  How much is parking?  Are charcoal grills allowed?  How early can you get there?  Is it okay to throw full beers at Packer fans?  What about bricks?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hire Jim Essian!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1654 on: December 07, 2009, 10:55:31 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 10:37:43 AM
Hey, dudes.  I need Bears-related assistance.  I'm going to a game for the first time since the McNabb playoff disaster in '01, and I need relevant tailgating advice.  How much is parking?  Are charcoal grills allowed?  How early can you get there?  Is it okay to throw full beers at Packer fans?  What about bricks?

GO BACK TO THE SUBURBS!
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1655 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
Hey, dudes.  I need Bears-related assistance.  I'm going to a game for the first time since the McNabb playoff disaster in '01, and I need relevant tailgating advice.  How much is parking?  Are charcoal grills allowed?  How early can you get there?  Is it okay to throw full beers at Packer fans?  What about bricks?

I've actually never tailgated at Soldier Field. If you don't have a parking pass for the South Lot, which I'm assuming you do based on your question, you can always park in one of the lots along State or Wabash, pay about 30 bucks for the day, arrive as early as you want, grill, drink, smoke, throw whatever you want. Hope this helps.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1656 on: December 07, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 07, 2009, 10:57:42 AM
Hey, dudes.  I need Bears-related assistance.  I'm going to a game for the first time since the McNabb playoff disaster in '01, and I need relevant tailgating advice.  How much is parking?  Are charcoal grills allowed?  How early can you get there?  Is it okay to throw full beers at Packer fans?  What about bricks?

I've actually never tailgated at Soldier Field. If you don't have a parking pass for the South Lot, which I'm assuming you do based on your question, you can always park in one of the lots along State or Wabash, pay about 30 bucks for the day, arrive as early as you want, grill, drink, smoke, throw whatever you want. Hope this helps.

I'm actually not sure if we do or not, making this incredibly useful information.  Thanks.
Hire Jim Essian!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1657 on: December 07, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 11:08:00 AM

I'm actually not sure if we do or not, making this incredibly useful information.  Thanks.

To be honest, I'm not sure that you'd need a pass to get into the South Lot as I've never even attempted to get in there. But those lots I suggested will be easily accessible, full of Bears fans and infinitely less-supervised than the one adjacent to the south gates. You'll have a nice leisurely walk through Grant Park between you and your seat too, which, unless it's 0 degrees or covered with a foot and a half of snow, is never a bad thing.

o
{W] <--- You.
|
|
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1658 on: December 07, 2009, 12:37:24 PM »
You need a pass to get into the South Lot (the lot that sits directly to the north of McCormick Place's Lakeside Building), the Waldron Deck (the lot that sits directly south of Soldier Field, the North Garage (boo), the Field Museum lawn (I think you have to be a McCasket to park there) and Adler Planetarium. You can park at the South McCormick Place lot (exit LSD at 31st St., turn right, and then drive north into the lot entrance) for some sum of cash, but you are almost as close to Comiskular as you are to Soldier Field.

UPDATE: You can buy parking coupons such asthis on Ebay.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1659 on: December 07, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 07, 2009, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 11:08:00 AM

I'm actually not sure if we do or not, making this incredibly useful information.  Thanks.

To be honest, I'm not sure that you'd need a pass to get into the South Lot as I've never even attempted to get in there. But those lots I suggested will be easily accessible, full of Bears fans and infinitely less-supervised than the one adjacent to the south gates. You'll have a nice leisurely walk through Grant Park between you and your seat too, which, unless it's 0 degrees or covered with a foot and a half of snow, is never a bad thing.

o
{W] <--- You.
|
|

Or, you can belly up to a bar that has a $5 shuttle that'll take you to the game and back.  Unfortunately, they all seem to be douche-bars like McGee's and Redmond's.  Just another suggestion.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1660 on: December 07, 2009, 01:06:09 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on December 07, 2009, 12:37:24 PM
You need a pass to get into the South Lot (the lot that sits directly to the north of McCormick Place's Lakeside Building), the Waldron Deck (the lot that sits directly south of Soldier Field, the North Garage (boo), the Field Museum lawn (I think you have to be a McCasket to park there) and Adler Planetarium. You can park at the South McCormick Place lot (exit LSD at 31st St., turn right, and then drive north into the lot entrance) for some sum of cash, but you are almost as close to Comiskular as you are to Soldier Field.

UPDATE: You can buy parking coupons such asthis on Ebay.

The 31st Street lot is fun (I think it opens earlier than the other lots) and probably your cheapest option (it was less than $20 a couple years ago). There's a shuttle from the lot to the stadium, but it's always jammed with meatballs, so you might want to walk. It's about a 2 mile hike though, so your dainty suburb feet may get blisters.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1661 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 07, 2009, 12:47:10 PM
Or, you can belly up to a bar that has a $5 shuttle that'll take you to the game and back.  Unfortunately, they all seem to be douche-bars like McGee's and Redmond's.  Just another suggestion.

Screw that, you can have the run of my place and I'll put you on the Metra personally. Bring the lesser sacrament.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1662 on: December 07, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys.  The 31st Street lot sounds like a winner, although the prospect of meeting Wheezer is certainly tempting.  Is anyone else actually going to the game?
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1663 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 01:23:04 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.  The 31st Street lot sounds like a winner, although the prospect of meeting Wheezer is certainly tempting.  Is anyone else actually going to the game?

I can tell you who isn't going to show up....the O-line!
amirite?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1664 on: December 07, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 07, 2009, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 07, 2009, 01:23:04 PM

I can tell you who isn't going to show up....the O-line!
amirite?

*high five
Hire Jim Essian!