News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,170 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1830 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 01:46:23 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 17, 2010, 01:44:54 PM
Quote from: Slack-E on February 17, 2010, 01:43:08 PM
Quote from: morpheus on February 16, 2010, 04:07:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 16, 2010, 03:53:22 PM
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

Sexist.

Am I the only who thinks it's a bit weird to be worried about salemen seeing other salemen's numbers?  Every sales job I've ver had we've seen what everyone else is doing.

Especially here where they post your numbers anywhere your eyes might wander off to so as to ridicule the low end people and tell the high end people to do better next month.

Ah, sales.

Can you post Oleg's sales numbers?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1831 on: February 17, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 17, 2010, 01:48:26 PM
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

Sexist.

Am I the only who thinks it's a bit weird to be worried about salemen seeing other salemen's numbers?  Every sales job I've ver had we've seen what everyone else is doing.

Especially here where they post your numbers anywhere your eyes might wander off to so as to ridicule the low end people and tell the high end people to do better next month.

Ah, sales.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1832 on: February 17, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »

Sexist.

Ah, sales.

Joke's on you!  I'm not really in sales anymore!

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1833 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:06 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 17, 2010, 02:18:18 PM

Sexist.

Ah, sales.

Joke's on you!  I'm not really in sales anymore!

Also, you wouldn't remember them anyway.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1834 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »

Sexist.

It's not the other salesmen's numbers I'm worried about.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1835 on: February 17, 2010, 03:35:41 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on February 17, 2010, 03:28:48 PM

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

Sexist.

Am I the only who thinks it's a bit weird to be worried about salemen seeing other salemen's numbers?  Every sales job I've ver had we've seen what everyone else is doing.

It's not the other salesmen's numbers I'm worried about.

Which is why TJ wasn't mentioning them.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1836 on: February 24, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »
I have to go renew my driver's license tomorrow.

Figure if I go to the Elston DMV mid-day it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

The notice I got from Jesse White, though, urges me to give the Express facility in the Loop a try. Has anyone ever renewed a license there? How "express" is it?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1837 on: February 24, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
I renewed mine at the Loop express facility about three 1/2 years ago, so it might have changed since then, but I was in and out in around 20 minutes.  Granted, this was at about 10:30 in the morning, but it was definitely quicker.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1838 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 24, 2010, 12:14:17 PM

The notice I got from Jesse White, though, urges me to give the Express facility in the Loop a try. Has anyone ever renewed a license there? How "express" is it?

No, but now that I've read this, I'm going to give it a shot!  My license has been expired for almost 2 months now.

Thanks, Desipio!
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1839 on: February 24, 2010, 12:27:28 PM »
Quote from: MAD on February 24, 2010, 12:25:40 PM

No but now that I've read this, I'm going to give it a shot!  My license has been expired for almost 2 months now.

Thanks, Desipio!

Now both of you have a chance to get the new gheyass Illinois driver's license.  Congrats.  I still have one more year on mine before it expires, so that state might change the design again, like it has like 3 times in the past decade or so.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1840 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
It is faster but go before the lunch hour.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1841 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:15 PM »
In California we get to renew on line two times in a row.  The third time you can make an appointment at the DMV.  At my age, however, one must come into the DMV so they can scrutinize the applicant in person.  I think that is a good idea.  (I have an appointment on March 10.  The ambulance will bring me directly to the disabled person's entrance)   
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1842 on: February 24, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »

So, I haven't lived in Chicago in 7 years, but I have been to both of these facilities and the Elston one took about 2 hours and the Express Loop facility took about 20 minutes.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1843 on: February 24, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 24, 2010, 04:05:18 PM

So, I haven't lived in Chicago in 7 years, but I have been to both of these facilities and the Elston one took about 2 hours and the Express Loop facility took about 20 minutes.

Noon is a bad time to go.  Everyone else thinks to go at lunch time.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1844 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2010, 04:24:41 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 24, 2010, 04:05:18 PM

Noon is a bad time to go.  Everyone else thinks to go at lunch time.

No shit? Thanks Chuck!