News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,352 )

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1845 on: February 24, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on February 24, 2010, 12:17:04 PM
I renewed mine at the Loop express facility about three 1/2 years ago, so it might have changed since then, but I was in and out in around 20 minutes.  Granted, this was at about 10:30 in the morning, but it was definitely quicker.

I was there a year ago about half an hour before closing, and it took maybe 10 minutes. If you have to take a road test, though, I recommend the location in Cicero--they gave me hints on the eye exam, and the road test itself involved a lot of make-believe.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1846 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »
Quote from: BH on February 24, 2010, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2010, 04:24:41 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 24, 2010, 04:05:18 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 24, 2010, 12:14:17 PM
I have to go renew my driver's license tomorrow.

Figure if I go to the Elston DMV mid-day it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

The notice I got from Jesse White, though, urges me to give the Express facility in the Loop a try. Has anyone ever renewed a license there? How "express" is it?

So, I haven't lived in Chicago in 7 years, but I have been to both of these facilities and the Elston one took about 2 hours and the Express Loop facility took about 20 minutes.

Noon is a bad time to go.  Everyone else thinks to go at lunch time.

No shit? Thanks Chuck!

Glad I could ejookate you.  Seems Doc needed it, too, as he was thinking of going to "go to the Elston DMV mid-day."

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1847 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2010, 05:02:57 PM

The notice I got from Jesse White, though, urges me to give the Express facility in the Loop a try. Has anyone ever renewed a license there? How "express" is it?

So, I haven't lived in Chicago in 7 years, but I have been to both of these facilities and the Elston one took about 2 hours and the Express Loop facility took about 20 minutes.

Noon is a bad time to go.  Everyone else thinks to go at lunch time.

No shit? Thanks Chuck!

Glad I could ejookate you.  Seems Doc needed it, too, as he was thinking of going to "go to the Elston DMV mid-day."

"Mid-day" for me on my days off is probably closer to 2.

And don't call me "Doc," pal. Not sure I have it in me to have a mysterious vendetta against Slak.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1848 on: February 24, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on February 16, 2010, 04:07:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 16, 2010, 03:53:22 PM
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

I've never dealt with WinCron, but yeah, hypothetically you should be able to use a macro to generate each personalized spreadsheet. Morph is correct in that these would need to be static (no links to the file) to ensure security. Perhaps WinCron could be configured to open the master workbook and run the macro nightly. Or maybe you manually run the macro at whatever refresh interval you need. It would be clunky, but aside from something more straightforward like a web front end on top of an actual database, it's probably your best bet.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1849 on: February 25, 2010, 08:52:25 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on February 24, 2010, 08:21:09 PM
Quote from: morpheus on February 16, 2010, 04:07:11 PM
Quote from: Brownie on February 16, 2010, 03:53:22 PM
I know I should probably buy some real software, build a XML database, etc., but I'm a caveman and I need your help:

I have set up a spreadsheet (a simple Excel file; as I said, I'm a caveman) tracking the various sales goals for our sales reps and want them to see their own progress. The thing is, the source spreadsheet has a bunch of proprietary information (not to mention the performances of their peers) that we'd rather not share with them. Thus, the source sheet is on a file server in a folder restricted only to management.

I set up a simple spreadsheet for each salesperson (yes, the formulas are hidden and the cells are protected) that would track his or her progress. Each file is in the respective salesperson's server folder, to which they have access.

Now here's the problem: because they are restricted from the source file, these worksheets will not update for them. Is there a macro/VB code or any other type of workaround that would let the spreadsheet update automatically for them but not give them read access to the source file?

I hate to disappoint you... Excel doesn't allow you to just link to the source file since they can't access it.  You're probably best off having some sort of nightly job run (use WinCron, maybe?) in which the file for each individual salesman is updated from the source.  Or, you could use a database solution - you can control a lot more around access to data that way.

I've never dealt with WinCron, but yeah, hypothetically you should be able to use a macro to generate each personalized spreadsheet. Morph is correct in that these would need to be static (no links to the file) to ensure security. Perhaps WinCron could be configured to open the master workbook and run the macro nightly. Or maybe you manually run the macro at whatever refresh interval you need. It would be clunky, but aside from something more straightforward like a web front end on top of an actual database, it's probably your best bet.

WinCron is almost exactly like crontab in a UNIX environment.  As long as the computer is on, it will execute a command every day (or every week or every hour or whatever periodicity you decide to set up).  One would likely have to create an Excel workbook with an AutoRun macro, so upon opening it would run automatically.  This workbook would then open the master workbook and then create new workbooks or flat files with the necessary individual salesman data, then close everything upon completion.  But again, an actual database with a web-based frontend, as ChuckD suggested, is far superior to this.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1850 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on February 24, 2010, 05:19:31 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2010, 05:02:57 PM

Noon is a bad time to go.  Everyone else thinks to go at lunch time.

No shit? Thanks Chuck!

Glad I could ejookate you.  Seems Doc needed it, too, as he was thinking of going to "go to the Elston DMV mid-day."

"Mid-day" for me on my days off is probably closer to 2.

And don't call me "Doc," pal. Not sure I have it in me to have a mysterious vendetta against Slak.

Decided to try out the Loop Express.

Walked in at 2:30. Walked out with my new license at 2:40.

Express.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1851 on: February 28, 2010, 11:19:13 AM »
Where's that link to the rap lyrics that are turned into graphs and stuff?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1852 on: February 28, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »

D. Doluntap

• Fukakke Fan Club

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1854 on: February 28, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on February 28, 2010, 11:19:13 AM
Where's that link to the rap lyrics that are turned into graphs and stuff?

On the internet.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1856 on: March 02, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
Got a client's wife who runs a separate business of which we prepare the tax return for. This year she sent me her Accountant's Copy of Quickbooks which was created on a 2005 version. I tried converting it to a regular QB file in my 2008 version and it wouldn't work, giving me a message of "This Accountant's copy was created in an earlier version, etc." Then, I tried it on my 2007 version and it didn't give me that error message and instead told me I needed to name the file if I was going to convert the file to a QB file. I did that and when I clicked "Save" it acted like nothing happened. I checked the folder that I "saved" it to and it didn't show up in there. I don't understand that.

So, I have 2 questions to this. One, any idea on what happened when I tried to save the file on 2007? Or, anyone know of a place to get a really cheap (or free) version of QB 2005? My company doesn't have it anymore, and I wasn't able to find anything in my searching, but I kinda suck at it.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1857 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »
Nevermind. Crisis averted. After emailing 30-40 people around the building, I finally find someone with both 2005 and 2006 QB. I was able to convert 05 -> 06 -> 07 on their computer. I'll go back to being wrong about those shitty trofs

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1858 on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 02, 2010, 08:55:48 PM
Nevermind. Crisis averted. After emailing 30-40 people around the building, I finally find someone with both 2005 and 2006 QB. I was able to convert 05 -> 06 -> 07 on their computer. I'll go back to being wrong about those shitty trofs

Why would you need a copy of the 2005 version to convert a 2005 file to a 2006 file? Wouldn't the 2005 version only be able to output a 2005 file?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1859 on: March 02, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on March 02, 2010, 09:32:51 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 02, 2010, 08:55:48 PM

Why would you need a copy of the 2005 version to convert a 2005 file to a 2006 file? Wouldn't the 2005 version only be able to output a 2005 file?

I typed it a bit wrong.. I needed 2005 so I could convert it from the Accountants copy to the regular QB file. Then, I did the process of 05 to 06 to 07