News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 636,470 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #1920 on: April 12, 2010, 09:51:53 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 12, 2010, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 12, 2010, 08:41:00 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 12, 2010, 08:05:03 PM
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 07:36:57 PM
If on Windows, does WMP play them that way?

WMP on this machine won't play the 3GP files directly. Windows doesn't recognize the format at all.

It does play the transcoded MP4, MPG and AVI files in the manner described above (just as Studio plays them).

If so, the video file itself is messed up and there's probably not a lot you can do.

That would suck. (I think these videos may be needed for legal proceedings.)

Have you tried transcoding with MPEG StreamClip?

Nope.

Looking at the MPEG StreamClip site, I don't see 3GP listed as a supported input format, but I'll give this a shot tomorrow. (Any idea what codec the Droid uses inside the 3GP container?)

What happens when you play them in VLC?

Assuming you can access these on OS X...

For the codec issue, you might try Perian. It's a bit of a shotgun approach, but may solve the playback issue.

As for transcoding, I've had good success using Handbrake over the years.

I second trying VLC, Perian, and HandBrake.  I forget I have Perian installed sometimes.

VLC and Perian would just help with computer playback, right? I need to get these videos burned to DVD—I'm just interested in playback of the files on the computer for sake of seeing what will play on the disc.

As for Handbrake, can it be used to transcode to MPEG-2?

Yeah, they're for playback, and the playback is to find out if the video file itself is messed up or not.  Perian is worth having anyway.  I believe they also help with conversions in certain programs. 

HandBrake transcodes to mp4 and that's it.  MPEG StreamClip won't handle MPEG-2 as downloaded, but if you buy the MPEG-2 component from Apple (or have Final Cut Pro), you can.  I'm sure you're aware of the massive file sizes MPEG-2 generates.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1921 on: April 12, 2010, 10:28:28 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 09:51:53 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 12, 2010, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on April 12, 2010, 08:41:00 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 12, 2010, 08:05:03 PM
If on Windows, does WMP play them that way?

WMP on this machine won't play the 3GP files directly. Windows doesn't recognize the format at all.

It does play the transcoded MP4, MPG and AVI files in the manner described above (just as Studio plays them).

If so, the video file itself is messed up and there's probably not a lot you can do.

That would suck. (I think these videos may be needed for legal proceedings.)

Have you tried transcoding with MPEG StreamClip?

Nope.

Looking at the MPEG StreamClip site, I don't see 3GP listed as a supported input format, but I'll give this a shot tomorrow. (Any idea what codec the Droid uses inside the 3GP container?)

What happens when you play them in VLC?

Assuming you can access these on OS X...

For the codec issue, you might try Perian. It's a bit of a shotgun approach, but may solve the playback issue.

As for transcoding, I've had good success using Handbrake over the years.

I second trying VLC, Perian, and HandBrake.  I forget I have Perian installed sometimes.

VLC and Perian would just help with computer playback, right? I need to get these videos burned to DVD—I'm just interested in playback of the files on the computer for sake of seeing what will play on the disc.

As for Handbrake, can it be used to transcode to MPEG-2?

Yeah, they're for playback, and the playback is to find out if the video file itself is messed up or not.  Perian is worth having anyway.  I believe they also help with conversions in certain programs. 

HandBrake transcodes to mp4 and that's it.  MPEG StreamClip won't handle MPEG-2 as downloaded, but if you buy the MPEG-2 component from Apple (or have Final Cut Pro), you can.  I'm sure you're aware of the massive file sizes MPEG-2 generates.

I just realized I was thinking of ffmpegx, not Handbrake. It's pretty straightforward. Drag/drop and transcode from just about anything to anything. Handbrake does work alright for what it's worth, although you will run in to cross-platform compatibility issues if the other person can't play MP4 or MKV (probably not as big of an issue any more as it was 2-3 years ago).

Edit: Has it really been a year since we first learned of the sordid activities at PF Chang's? http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=4307.msg178037#msg178037

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1922 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:44 PM »
Have you tried simply changing the file extension to .mp4?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1923 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Day Man on April 12, 2010, 09:51:53 PM
I'm sure you're aware of the massive file sizes MPEG-2 generates.

It's my understanding (which may well be mistaken) that MPEG-2 is what the video will be encoded to in the process of creating DVD VOB files anyways. And the fewer lossy conversions the better, right?

Quote from: ChuckD on April 12, 2010, 10:28:28 PM
Edit: Has it really been a year since we first learned of the sordid activities at PF Chang's? http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=4307.msg178037#msg178037

And a year since PenFoe was kind of a dick that one time.

Quote from: Wheezer on April 12, 2010, 11:08:44 PM
Have you tried simply changing the file extension to .mp4?

You know... I meant to, but got sidetracked on another transcoding attempt and forgot to even try. It couldn't be that simple, could it?

Guess we'll see how it plays out.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1925 on: April 13, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
To end the mounting suspense, it appears that simply switching the encoder used within SUPER from MEncoder to FFmpeg has done the trick.

(Also, FWIW, the 3GP videos played without issues right out of the box through VLC... which, notably, appears to use FFmpeg's libavcodec library. ¡Muera la MEncoder! iViva la FFmpeg!)
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1926 on: April 13, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 13, 2010, 04:00:22 PM
To end the mounting suspense, it appears that simply switching the encoder used within SUPER from MEncoder to FFmpeg has done the trick.

(Also, FWIW, the 3GP videos played without issues right out of the box through VLC... which, notably, appears to use FFmpeg's libavcodec library. ¡Muera la MEncoder! iViva la FFmpeg!)

Well, just make sure you switch it back to SUPER MENcoder once you're done.

It's the best setting for dude-banging.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1927 on: April 13, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 13, 2010, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on April 13, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Well, just make sure you switch it back to SUPER MENcoder once you're done.

It's the best setting for dude-banging.

*gives Pen high five*

lomez

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #1928 on: April 14, 2010, 04:08:17 PM »
Anyone know where the Cubs stay when they are in Colorado?  I can't seem to find the old thread that contained the treasure trove of this type of information.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1929 on: April 14, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
Quote from: lomez on April 14, 2010, 04:08:17 PM
Anyone know where the Cubs stay when they are in Colorado?  I can't seem to find the old thread that contained the treasure trove of this type of information.

I believe it's the Overlook.

Don't piss off the caretaker.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1930 on: April 14, 2010, 04:16:21 PM »

Wrong site, dude

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1931 on: April 15, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on April 14, 2010, 04:16:21 PM

Wrong site, dude

Should I insert an ACB link instead, or have the wheels fallen off yet?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1932 on: April 16, 2010, 09:09:43 AM »
We're considering getting a Mac here at work to do some video editing.  I've worked with iMovie before and it seems fine, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay for Final Cut Express.  Any morans have a recommendation?  I'd mostly be using it to edit together footage from tournaments and player interviews, highlight/recap videos, etc.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1933 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2010, 09:09:43 AM
We're considering getting a Mac here at work to do some video editing.  I've worked with iMovie before and it seems fine, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay for Final Cut Express.  Any morans have a recommendation?  I'd mostly be using it to edit together footage from tournaments and player interviews, highlight/recap videos, etc.

Don't even think about relying on iMovie unless you want to pre-edit your audio.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1934 on: April 16, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2010, 09:09:43 AM

Absolutely a million times yes.  Get FCE.  It's much better at importing and post-processing, let alone the actual editing itself.

Edit: It also might be worth looking into getting it secondhand or elsewhere for less.

This will help get you started using FC.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?