News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,491 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2190 on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 28, 2010, 10:52:53 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 28, 2010, 10:46:57 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 28, 2010, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 28, 2010, 10:27:34 AM
What's so wrong about buying a regular car that runs off dinosaur fossils?

Nothing so long as you realize that the people you are paying for the dinosaur fuels give the money to other people who want to kill you.

Until somebody figures out how to turn fairy dust into automobile fuel and the vehicle it runs on doesn't cost me all three of my nuts, I'll stick with the dinosaurs.

The initial question was whether or not the car would be a BETTER VALUE than a normal car. No one is going to take away your right to own a Canyonero, you reactionary hilljack.

You're looking at a car that's going to cost you about $33,000 out the door. I have no idea what recharging this thing would cost -- either in gasoline or in electricity.

But, figure you can go out and buy a car that get 18-22 MPG in city. Let's say 18. And suppose gas hovers around $3.00.

Construct a math problem.

Let a=cost of 18 MPG car you'd buy instead (or, 0, if you already own such a beast)
Let b=number of miles per year you're planning on driving where your car would be electric only
Let c=cost of recharging the Volt per mile (Chevrolet/Edmond's/Consumer Reports should have this data)

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

Let d=annual savings of Volt

Then figure out the number of years you plan on keeping the Volt, factor in if you're financing it, the return you'd get putting what your car payment or the cash you're using to buy the car if you had instead given the money to Lenny Dykstra or some other reputable investor, and try to figure out where gas is going. We all can guess. I'd suggest that we'll see $4.00/gallon gas regularly here in 3 years. In 5 years, $5.00/gallon.

My guess is right now it doesn't justify the cost, unless plan B is a German car or you spend all of your workday driving city streets. However, give it a few years. A hybrid is more financially justifiable now than it was just 5 years ago.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2191 on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 28, 2010, 10:54:35 AM

Nothing so long as you realize that the people you are paying for the dinosaur fuels give the money to other people who want to kill you.

Until somebody figures out how to turn fairy dust into automobile fuel and the vehicle it runs on doesn't cost me all three of my nuts, I'll stick with the dinosaurs.

The initial question was whether or not the car would be a BETTER VALUE than a normal car. No one is going to take away your right to own a Canyonero, you reactionary hilljack.

NO! Offering a choice is un-American, you librul homotard.

That's not really what I was getting at.  But, whatever.  We can turn it into hippie Earth-homos vs. 'MERICUNZ AND THEIR RIGHT TO BURN THIS PLANET ALIVE IF WE WANT TO argument.  I'm just saying...I don't see any added value in buying a $41,000 vehicle when the normal alternative is probably $10,000 cheaper, hippiecrat rebate not withstanding.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2192 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Canada notwithstanding, there are a bunch of countries on that list that I'm sure are funneling money to people who don't like us.  However, that argument aside, it's unrealistic to anticipate gas prices remaining at the levels that they are at currently.  This factor, and this factor alone, pushed me into considering the buttcruiser.  To date since I bought the car in April, I've put 4000 miles on the car and have fueled up 8 times.  The current average is sitting at 56.8 mpg, which is down from a high of 59.4 mpg.  Drive whatever you want, but saving the gas was well worth it for me.

And besides, just because you need a truck for heavy-duty or for other such needs, or even if you just want a big truck, doesn't mean we can't stand to do things a bit cleaner.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2193 on: July 28, 2010, 11:27:29 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 28, 2010, 11:22:03 AM

You're looking at a car that's going to cost you about $33,000 out the door. I have no idea what recharging this thing would cost -- either in gasoline or in electricity.

But, figure you can go out and buy a car that get 18-22 MPG in city. Let's say 18. And suppose gas hovers around $3.00.

Let a=cost of 18 MPG car you'd buy instead (or, 0, if you already own such a beast)
Let b=number of miles per year you're planning on driving where your car would be electric only
Let c=cost of recharging the Volt per mile (Chevrolet/Edmond's/Consumer Reports should have this data)

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

Then figure out the number of years you plan on keeping the Volt, factor in if you're financing it, the return you'd get putting what your car payment or the cash you're using to buy the car if you had instead given the money to Lenny Dykstra or some other reputable investor, and try to figure out where gas is going. We all can guess. I'd suggest that we'll see $4.00/gallon gas regularly here in 3 years. In 5 years, $5.00/gallon.

My guess is right now it doesn't justify the cost, unless plan B is a German car or you spend all of your workday driving city streets. However, give it a few years. A hybrid is more financially justifiable now than it was just 5 years ago.

Thanks, Teej. I should clarify - the only reason we'd even consider this car is because

a) both of us use public transportation to get to work, so for us, the majority of our car usage consists of trips less than 40 miles (which means the fuel savings could be significant) and

b) the lease terms look like they could be attractive. Purchase price still too high.

For anyone who has a round-trip commute or daily usage over 40 miles, I agree that an electric doesn't make sense yet.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2194 on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 28, 2010, 11:25:09 AM
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Canada notwithstanding, there are a bunch of countries on that list that I'm sure are funneling money to people who don't like us.  However, that argument aside, it's unrealistic to anticipate gas prices remaining at the levels that they are at currently.  This factor, and this factor alone, pushed me into considering the buttcruiser.  To date since I bought the car in April, I've put 4000 miles on the car and have fueled up 8 times.  The current average is sitting at 56.8 mpg, which is down from a high of 59.4 mpg.  Drive whatever you want, but saving the gas was well worth it for me.

And besides, just because you need a truck for heavy-duty or for other such needs, or even if you just want a big truck, doesn't mean we can't stand to do things a bit cleaner.

This thread sucks
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2195 on: July 28, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 28, 2010, 11:25:09 AM

I absolutely agree with this.  There are times when I'm jealous of your buttcruiser, but I'm still happy with my current vehicle.  And it's not really a 10 MPG earthkilling machine.  I sit somewhere close to 29 MPG on teh interstate.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2196 on: July 28, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 28, 2010, 11:27:29 AM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

Thanks, Teej. I should clarify - the only reason we'd even consider this car is because

a) both of us use public transportation to get to work, so for us, the majority of our car usage consists of trips less than 40 miles (which means the fuel savings could be significant) and

b) the lease terms look like they could be attractive. Purchase price still too high.

For anyone who has a round-trip commute or daily usage over 40 miles, I agree that an electric doesn't make sense yet.

How many miles would you do a year? 3000? 5000? At 5400 miles in an 18 MPG car, that's 300 gallons. If gas averages $5.00/gallon, you have $1500 in fuel costs. I am too lazy to look up what it costs to recharge the Volt, but if the savings is only $1500/year, the car needs to come down in cost. The lease is $350/mth, no? So you're looking at $4200/year and I don't know if there's a government rebate or tax credit for leasing the car.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2197 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:16 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 28, 2010, 11:38:10 AM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

How many miles would you do a year? 3000? 5000? At 5400 miles in an 18 MPG car, that's 300 gallons. If gas averages $5.00/gallon, you have $1500 in fuel costs. I am too lazy to look up what it costs to recharge the Volt, but if the savings is only $1500/year, the car needs to come down in cost. The lease is $350/mth, no? So you're looking at $4200/year and I don't know if there's a government rebate or tax credit for leasing the car.

3000-5400 miles? Shit, I do that in a 2-3 month span, easily.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2198 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 28, 2010, 11:49:16 AM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

We don't all live in a place where the "corner store" is 8 miles away.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2199 on: July 28, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

Sounds like a Volt would make sense to you. Or at least a Prius. Or a new 4-cylinder Explorer.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2200 on: July 28, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on July 28, 2010, 12:01:15 PM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

Sounds like a Volt would make sense to you. Or at least a Prius. Or a new 4-cylinder Explorer.

So, the hilljacks should love these cars? The irony of this world.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2201 on: July 28, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 28, 2010, 11:53:51 AM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

It sucks ass. I've already put 10,000 miles on the car I bought at the end of last December.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2202 on: July 28, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2010, 12:25:11 PM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

It sucks ass. I've already put 10,000 miles on the car I bought at the end of last December.

How many of those were just from doing doughnuts in Farmer Joe's Iowa corn field?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2203 on: July 28, 2010, 12:42:01 PM »

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

As I understand it, the tax credit is already embedded in the lease price. So instead of you getting a check from the gubmint, your monthly lease payment is based on the after-credit price (that's why the lease payment is reasonable even though it's a $40k car).

I've been running some numbers and it looks like the total cost of a $40k Volt is about equal to the total cost of a $25k 25 MPG car. Assuming you drive about 8,000 electric (local) miles and 2,000 gas (road trip) miles a year.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2204 on: July 28, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 28, 2010, 12:25:11 PM

((b/18)*3-(c*b))=d

I bought my Grand Prix in late December of 2006 (so 3.5 years) and it had 55,000 miles. It now has 135,000 miles. 22,000 miles per year does suck ass. Thrill is a little off. Corner store is 5.5 miles from me. There is a Wal-Mart that's only 10 miles, though.