News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,831 )

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2250 on: August 17, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on August 17, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
Quote from: powen01 on August 17, 2010, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 17, 2010, 08:52:52 AM
Okay geeks, listen up.  STonk's brother and sister-in-law live in deepest, darkest rural Germany and believe it or not, they are connected to the intertubes via an ISDN connection.  If I want to buy them a wireless router, can I just buy one off the shelf, or do I need a special piece of kit?

Do you know the brand/model of ISDN modem/device they use?  I'm guessing if it connects to their PC via a network cable, you probably won't need anything too special.  Not sure though... 

No, I don't, and there's no point in asking because they're complete fucking Luddites.  The fact that they have internet at all is astonishing - they never use it.  However, I also think that anything that connects with a standard network cable should be able to give a connection to a router as well as it can to a PC.

Exactly what I was thinking; the big challenge is really only going to be replicating the settings on the router (gateway, DNS, ip, login id/pass).  Most luddites don't have a clue in that regard; hopefully, their ISP has that written down or has some help pages online.  Hopefully, they do have a separate device and not just a PCIA card or some-such installed in their pc.  That would be interesting.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2251 on: August 19, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on August 16, 2010, 09:15:49 PM
Droid geeks.  If you have the Froyo update, are you having a hard time connecting to a wi-fi signal?  I didn't root, or anything, so I have the official update.  But I can no longer connect to my wireless router.  BOO.  Adobe also claims the Flash player for Android isn't available yet.

It's available (for some), but apparently it sucks...

http://blog.laptopmag.com/mobile-flash-fail-weak-android-player-proves-jobs-right
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2252 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »
Since my asshole of a coworker broke my old personal laptop, I am now in the market for a new laptop.

I found this one on Newegg.  Any thoughts from the tech geeks here?  Good deal?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777

I'll hang up and wait for my response.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2253 on: August 30, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 30, 2010, 09:55:20 AM
Since my asshole of a coworker broke my old personal laptop, I am now in the market for a new laptop.

I found this one on Newegg.  Any thoughts from the tech geeks here?  Good deal?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777

I'll hang up and wait for my response.

Here's what you look for...

i7 proc
Windows 7

After that, it's all about mobility and price.  Everything is all about how you will be using the laptop.  If you're going to be doing nothign but looking at The Only Site and doing some pr0n crusing, you're good with whatever.  The only other option is how often you'll be taking the laptop with you to Big Al's, assuming it has wifi, in which case you'll want a smaller ecreen size to be more mobile.

If you plan on using this for other, higher-performing tasks (gaming, for example), you'll want to look for a better video card.  There are even some laptops out there that will run RAID 0 on the hard drives for increased performance on the read/writes to disk.

Hard drives are cheap.  You can get an external drive for about 50-75 cents per gig, if not cheaper.  So, don't bother yourself with hard drive space too much.

Make sense?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2254 on: August 31, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »
Hey only site - the wife is taking and editing photos as a small business. Something to do for friends and what not. I think she's pretty good but what do I know?

Anyway, if you're on the bookface check out her page, recommend it to people if you like what you see. She'd be happy to take new photos or edit existing ones for you or anyone you know.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/Marie-Cieslak-Photography/122405504478966

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2255 on: August 31, 2010, 09:31:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 31, 2010, 09:29:52 AM
Hey only site - the wife is taking and editing photos as a small business. Something to do for friends and what not. I think she's pretty good but what do I know?

Anyway, if you're on the bookface check out her page, recommend it to people if you like what you see. She'd be happy to take new photos or edit existing ones for you or anyone you know.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicago-IL/Marie-Cieslak-Photography/122405504478966

I've seen the stuff she's thrown on your bookface. It's pretty amazing.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2256 on: August 31, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »

TDubbs doesn't get the whole photography thing.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2257 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 31, 2010, 09:54:17 AM

Don't even get him started on dagerrotypes.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2258 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:20 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on August 31, 2010, 09:31:34 AM

I've seen the stuff she's thrown on your bookface. It's pretty amazing.

Appreciate it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2259 on: August 31, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 31, 2010, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 31, 2010, 09:54:17 AM

Don't even get him started on dagerrotypes.

Or when people enjoy things he doesn't.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2260 on: August 31, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
I need a word. It's somewhere in the depredation-vicissitude-dereliction neighborhood, but I'm weary and it's not coming. How does one characterize an existential approach on the part of another that, regardless of intentions (and even presumably contrary to them) is bound to worsen a situation? Sort of like how the Rug Doctor is going to do $10,000 worth of damage to your carpeting no matter what.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2261 on: August 31, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 31, 2010, 08:43:39 PM
I need a word. It's somewhere in the depredation-vicissitude-dereliction neighborhood, but I'm weary and it's not coming. How does one characterize an existential approach on the part of another that, regardless of intentions (and even presumably contrary to them) is bound to worsen a situation? Sort of like how the Rug Doctor is going to do $10,000 worth of damage to your carpeting no matter what.

Malicious negligence?

Insouciant incompetence?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2262 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 31, 2010, 09:35:56 PM

Malicious negligence?

Insouciant incompetence?

Jim Hendrian?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2263 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 31, 2010, 09:35:56 PM

Malicious negligence?

Insouciant incompetence?

It's going to be a devil of a time getting "jocund phthisicalism" into this letter, but that helped.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2264 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:50 PM »
What's the best book a person can read about The Beatles?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.