News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,646 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2625 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 05, 2011, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: CT III on July 05, 2011, 06:16:06 PM
Quote from: Alrish Yeltin on July 05, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 05, 2011, 01:33:52 PM
Quote from: BH on July 05, 2011, 01:23:49 PM
Quote from: Alrish Yeltin on July 05, 2011, 01:16:42 PM
Well, I was looking on where to go (even though the majority of my searching I keep going to north of the loop) but I was hoping to get a suggestion on a site or two. I love that Padmapper site.

Areas worth checking out:
- lincoln park
- wrigleyville
- River North
- River West
- Wicker Park
- Bucktown
- Ukrainian Village/West Town
- Roscoe Village
- Pilsen - probably a bit too fringe for a common yeti

Before we start suggesting places for Yeti to live, maybe he should mention where he'd be working/commuting to?

Would you be in the Thompson Center?

Yes, and my plan was public transport. I'm an idiot but I'm not dumb enough to think I'll drive to work every day. And not to sound like a common Huey, but I don't mind if the el isn't right around the corner. If I have to walk a bit, I'll survive

Thompson Center?  You, me and RV will be able to avoid lunching together on a daily basis!

RV's neglect cut you deep.

CT is high maintenance now. He just hasn't been the same since his beard fell out.

Yeti, here in North Center we have a Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile all at the same six-way* intersection. It's the neighborhood of your dreams!

*Huey can explain.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2626 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:45 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 05, 2011, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 05, 2011, 07:10:56 PM
Quote from: CT III on July 05, 2011, 06:16:06 PM
Quote from: Alrish Yeltin on July 05, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 05, 2011, 01:33:52 PM
Quote from: BH on July 05, 2011, 01:23:49 PM
Quote from: Alrish Yeltin on July 05, 2011, 01:16:42 PM
Well, I was looking on where to go (even though the majority of my searching I keep going to north of the loop) but I was hoping to get a suggestion on a site or two. I love that Padmapper site.

Areas worth checking out:
- lincoln park
- wrigleyville
- River North
- River West
- Wicker Park
- Bucktown
- Ukrainian Village/West Town
- Roscoe Village
- Pilsen - probably a bit too fringe for a common yeti

Before we start suggesting places for Yeti to live, maybe he should mention where he'd be working/commuting to?

Would you be in the Thompson Center?

Yes, and my plan was public transport. I'm an idiot but I'm not dumb enough to think I'll drive to work every day. And not to sound like a common Huey, but I don't mind if the el isn't right around the corner. If I have to walk a bit, I'll survive

Thompson Center?  You, me and RV will be able to avoid lunching together on a daily basis!

RV's neglect cut you deep.

CT is high maintenance now. He just hasn't been the same since his beard fell out.

Yeti, here in North Center we have a Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile all at the same six-way* intersection. It's the neighborhood of your dreams!

*Huey can explain.

Ahh the ole' intersection of Lincoln, Irving Park, and Damen (tightens onion on belt)

I remember the old Douglas TV, situated where the Starbucks now stands.  Damn gentrification.  Anyway, the missus and I were dining at the Lincoln Restauarant for breakfast--of course, she wasn't the missus then--this was back before we had committed ourselves to wedded bliss, just two young single kids galavanting around in the early aughts, some halcyon days to be sure....anyway it was around the time that they were demolishing the ole' Douglas TV store and while we were dining we heard a shriek from a woman sitting nearby.  Apparently, in knocking down the old building across Lincoln Avenue from the restaurant, the vermin scurried.  And even though it was clearly due to the demolition across the street and not indicative of the sanitary conitions of the Lincoln Restauarant, my wife has always been skittish about returning there for breakfast.  Too bad, too, because those are some of the best damn breakfast skillets in all of Chicago.

*takes onion off belt, takes a bite*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2627 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
Thank you very much gentlemen. This has been a big help. If this doesn't pan out, I'll still try to make my way up north sometime soon (Thank you workillinois.gov) and all this info will be useful

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2628 on: July 07, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »
To continue this theme, I'm most likely moving back to Chicago. Any of you folks on here with kids recommend certain areas of the city?

RV - you like north center?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2629 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
To continue this theme, I'm most likely moving back to Chicago. Any of you folks on here with kids recommend certain areas of the city?

With kids, I recommend the suburbs.  More space, better schools.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2630 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »

If you're moving back to the area, you don't have a very big window with your kids to live in the city, unless the Big JP Morgan in The Sky has dropped a six figure salary in your lap and you can afford private schooling for junior.  You know, my brother did say you were a pretty big wheel down at the cash factory.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2631 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2011, 08:32:21 AM

If you're moving back to the area, you don't have a very big window with your kids to live in the city, unless the Big JP Morgan in The Sky has dropped a six figure salary in your lap and you can afford private schooling for junior.  You know, my brother did say you were a pretty big wheel down at the cash factory.

Agree, but no need to suburb it up right now. Maybe start worrying about that when he turns 3, which gives us a few more years in the city.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2632 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »

I call horseplop on this. I can't comment on other hoods (since I don't live in them) but in North Center there are at least 2 public grade schools with great reputations (Coonley and Bell). That gives you at least another 10 years of highfalutin city livin. Then you're only about a mile away from a giant magnet high school with a good reputation (Lane Tech). Sure there are other reasons why you might want to move to the burbs (bigger yard, stay far away from Tdubbs, plentiful strip malls and TGI Friday's) but not all Chicago public schools are dogshit.

And yes BH I enjoy North Center. The Brown Line stops are plentiful, lots of good places to fill your feedhole with drinks and food, and walking distance from the ballpark if they're ever worth watching again.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2633 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

So sell him your place.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2634 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
Quote from: Fork on July 07, 2011, 09:03:35 AM

So sell him your place.

If he moved here, his window would definitely close when the kid goes to kindergarten.  RV's point is good--enough up-and-coming trixies and chads have settled into Lakeview and North Center to make them more realistic than nearly most every other neighborhood for the early years of schooling.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2635 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 08:50:44 AM

Agree, but no need to suburb it up right now. Maybe start worrying about that when he turns 3, which gives us a few more years in the city.

Homeschool that poor child and you can live wherever you want
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2636 on: July 07, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2011, 09:07:52 AM

So sell him your place.

If he moved here, his window would definitely close when the kid goes to kindergarten.  RV's point is good--enough up-and-coming trixies and chads have settled into Lakeview and North Center to make them more realistic than nearly most every other neighborhood for the early years of schooling.

Do you still live in Rogers park?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2637 on: July 07, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »

So sell him your place.

Our choice was similar.  Lincoln Elementary School was one of the better ones.  But the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2638 on: July 07, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2011, 09:33:57 AM

So sell him your place.

Our choice was similar.  Lincoln Elementary School was one of the better ones.  But the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior.

BH, your choice boils down to:

having a finished basement & living next door to Chuck

vs.

living in delivery range of Pequods and Art of Pizza & within walking distance of Old Town School of Folk Music where you can get a part time job teaching Oasis riffs to the next generation of rockers.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2639 on: July 07, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 07, 2011, 09:41:25 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2011, 09:33:57 AM

So sell him your place.

BH, your choice boils down to:

having a finished basement & living next door to Chuck

vs.

living in delivery range of Pequods and Art of Pizza & within walking distance of Old Town School of Folk Music where you can get a part time job teaching Oasis riffs to the next generation of rockers.

BH and the fam could always just crash at TDubbs' place for a while.  I'm sure Yeti won't mind sleeping on the couch.