News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,617 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2640 on: July 07, 2011, 09:47:01 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 07, 2011, 09:41:25 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2011, 09:33:57 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2011, 09:07:52 AM
Quote from: Fork on July 07, 2011, 09:03:35 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2011, 08:32:21 AM
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
To continue this theme, I'm most likely moving back to Chicago. Any of you folks on here with kids recommend certain areas of the city?

RV - you like north center?

If you're moving back to the area, you don't have a very big window with your kids to live in the city, unless the Big JP Morgan in The Sky has dropped a six figure salary in your lap and you can afford private schooling for junior.  You know, my brother did say you were a pretty big wheel down at the cash factory.

So sell him your place.

If he moved here, his window would definitely close when the kid goes to kindergarten.  RV's point is good--enough up-and-coming trixies and chads have settled into Lakeview and North Center to make them more realistic than nearly most every other neighborhood for the early years of schooling.

Our choice was similar.  Lincoln Elementary School was one of the better ones.  But the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior.

BH, your choice boils down to:

having a finished basement & living next door to Chuck

vs.

living in delivery range of Pequods and Art of Pizza & within walking distance of Old Town School of Folk Music where you can get a part time job teaching Oasis Wings riffs to the next generation of rockers.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2641 on: July 07, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
To continue this theme, I'm most likely moving back to Chicago. Any of you folks on here with kids recommend certain areas of the city?

If you're moving back to the area, you don't have a very big window with your kids to live in the city, unless the Big JP Morgan in The Sky has dropped a six figure salary in your lap and you can afford private schooling for junior.  You know, my brother did say you were a pretty big wheel down at the cash factory.

So sell him your place.

If he moved here, his window would definitely close when the kid goes to kindergarten.  RV's point is good--enough up-and-coming trixies and chads have settled into Lakeview and North Center to make them more realistic than nearly most every other neighborhood for the early years of schooling.

Our choice was similar.  Lincoln Elementary School was one of the better ones.  But the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior.

vs.

living in delivery range of Pequods and Art of Pizza & within walking distance of Old Town School of Folk Music where you can get a part time job teaching Oasis riffs to the next generation of rockers.

Besides north center, are any public elementary schools worth a damn? roscoe village, lincoln park?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2642 on: July 07, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 09:48:35 AM
Besides north center, are any public elementary schools worth a damn? roscoe village, lincoln park?

Lincoln School on the corner of Kemper and Geneva.  1 block south of Fullerton between Clark and Halsted.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2643 on: July 07, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »

So sell him your place.

vs.

living in delivery range of Pequods and Art of Pizza & within walking distance of Old Town School of Folk Music where you can get a part time job teaching Oasis riffs to the next generation of rockers.

If there are, you'd probaly still best wait until Yeti makes his move before wading in.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2644 on: July 07, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 07, 2011, 09:56:52 AM

So sell him your place.

vs.

If there are, you'd probaly still best wait until Yeti makes his move before wading in.

It is entirely possible that I laughed aloud upon reading this. Entirely possible.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2645 on: July 07, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 07, 2011, 09:59:47 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on July 07, 2011, 09:56:52 AM

So sell him your place.

vs.

It is entirely possible that I laughed aloud upon reading this. Entirely possible.

Well, it is sound advice

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2646 on: July 07, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2011, 09:56:11 AM

Lincoln School on the corner of Kemper and Geneva.  1 block south of Fullerton between Clark and Halsted.

Now i just need to find 1-3 million to find a house.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2647 on: July 07, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 10:34:54 AM

That's the other thing.  Space.  I say it's good chance that RV'll be singing a slightly different tune if forces his wife to pop out another huskyspawn.  At least those houses on Cullom and Berteau aren't as expensive as they were 5 years ago. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2648 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2011, 10:59:40 AM

That's the other thing.  Space.  I say it's good chance that RV'll be singing a slightly different tune if forces his wife to pop out another huskyspawn.  At least those houses on Cullom and Berteau aren't as expensive as they were 5 years ago. 

The whole force?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2649 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 09:18:12 AM

So sell him your place.

Do you still live in Rogers park?

For 14 more days, which, frankly, can't count down quickly enough.  I can so visualize my rolling around in our backyard with nothing but my PANKhelmet on that I can actually feel it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2650 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

There's plenty of condo space around there.  In fact, there's a property at Belden and Geneva I might be able to get you a deal on.  I know the place that foreclosed on it.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2651 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »

So sell him your place.

Our choice was similar.  Lincoln Elementary School was one of the better ones.  But the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior.

vs.

Hawk Jr. is having a good experience at Burley Elementary in Lakeview/Wrigleyville West.  Blaine on Southport and Grace also good.  Hawthorne Magnet school isusually ranked as one of the tops in the state (the district is a little east fof Belmont and Racine.  Chicago Magazine puts out an issue on the best schools, may want to look up that.

From our perspective, with all due respect to Chuck, he's as wrong here as he always is.  You have to work a little harder to make sure your kid is edumacated in the city, but it can be done.  Meanwhile you have such things like the Field, Shedd, Adler and MSI for the little one to go to, and trains and busses and lots of parks and playgrounds to play on
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #2652 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »

So sell him your place.

vs.

Besides Lincoln, the better ones are Bell, Hawthorne, Blaine and Coonley.  But it's all still relative.  Those are the decent schools in a shitty public school system.  My two are in private until they get to 1st grade, when I kill them.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2653 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
Quote from: MidgetSellingWater on July 07, 2011, 11:09:34 AM

So sell him your place.

vs.

Besides Lincoln, the better ones are Bell, Hawthorne, Blaine and Coonley.  But it's all still relative.  Those are the decent schools in a shitty public school system.  My two are in private until they get to 1st grade, when I kill them.

On the other hand, I went to both private and public elementary schools in very friendly and reputable systems and turned out COMPLETELY fucked up. So there's that.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2654 on: July 07, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on July 07, 2011, 11:08:03 AM

From our perspective, with all due respect to Chuck, he's as wrong here as he always is.  You have to work a little harder to make sure your kid is edumacated in the city, but it can be done.  Meanwhile you have such things like the Field, Shedd, Adler and MSI for the little one to go to, and trains and busses and lots of parks and playgrounds to play on

How the fuck did I sneak into any of those places without my city resident's card?

In no way am I advocating living all the way out in Huntley or Sugar Grove or Wonder Lake or Chesterton, but suburban living Chuck-style isn't shitty. Chicago's a world-class city as far as restaurants, theater, live entertainment, museums, etc., etc., but being 20 minutes away by car and 30-35 minutes by train isn't too shitty. Hell, I bet if Chuck and R-V left their home at the same time to go take their kids to the Field Museum (or a Bears game), Chuck beats R-V no matter what method of transportation he chooses.

To ORD, Chuck beats the hell out of R-V every.single.time.