News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,487 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2670 on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »
Who's setting up the foot race between RV and Chuck to Soldier's field?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2671 on: July 07, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 07, 2011, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 07, 2011, 11:51:49 AM
Quote from: Brownie on July 07, 2011, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: thehawk on July 07, 2011, 11:08:03 AM

From our perspective, with all due respect to Chuck, he's as wrong here as he always is.  You have to work a little harder to make sure your kid is edumacated in the city, but it can be done.  Meanwhile you have such things like the Field, Shedd, Adler and MSI for the little one to go to, and trains and busses and lots of parks and playgrounds to play on

How the fuck did I sneak into any of those places without my city resident's card?

In no way am I advocating living all the way out in Huntley or Sugar Grove or Wonder Lake or Chesterton, but suburban living Chuck-style isn't shitty. Chicago's a world-class city as far as restaurants, theater, live entertainment, museums, etc., etc., but being 20 minutes away by car and 30-35 minutes by train isn't too shitty. Hell, I bet if Chuck and R-V left their home at the same time to go take their kids to the Field Museum (or a Bears game), Chuck beats R-V no matter what method of transportation he chooses.

To ORD, Chuck beats the hell out of R-V every.single.time.

Door to door? I'll take that bet.

Being close to O Hare is great if you travel a lot, but if you don't, who cares.

20 minutes to O'Hare.
20 minutes to Great America
65 minutes to Lake Geneva
25 minutes to the LoopGrade Schools ranked 1, 3 and 13th in Cook County

And, I'm not sure I see what part of "the option of a yard, finished basement, and extra bedrooms for the same price as Chicago was too good to skip.  That, and the schools were superior" is so 10.17(c).

Chuck, is that when you go in the TV truck and they close the roads for you Obama style?

I never said that the burbs are bad either (I do miss the yard to be honest).  But the whole "you have a kid, go to the suburbs, do not pass go, do not collect 200$" argument is a bit silly also.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2672 on: July 07, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
BH, I'll let you know when my parents are going to move down into the CONDO, and I have to move out on my own.  You can buy a bigger place and I'll pay you a reduced rent to live in the spare bedroom, cook meals unfrequently, drool over your asian wife, and yell profanities at your child while it cries when I'm trying to crush muff in my spare room that you're renting me for a cheap amount.  Remember, you'll have extra space.  I also have a road bike that is new and you can borrow, but I don't have a helmet b/c I'm not retarded and know how to stay on my bike and also watch for car doors.  We can fist bump every morning when I get out of the master bathroom shower. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2673 on: July 07, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 07, 2011, 02:14:47 PM
BH, I'll let you know when my parents are going to move down into the CONDO, and I have to move out on my own.  You can buy a bigger place and I'll pay you a reduced rent to live in the spare bedroom, cook meals unfrequently, drool over your asian wife, and yell profanities at your child while it cries when I'm trying to crush muff in my spare room that you're renting me for a cheap amount.  Remember, you'll have extra space.  I also have a road bike that is new and you can borrow, but I don't have a helmet b/c I'm not retarded and know how to stay on my bike and also watch for car doors.  We can fist bump every morning when I get out of the master bathroom shower. 

To answer my question about raising kids in the city, i can't think of a better plan than the one you mention above.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2674 on: July 07, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 07, 2011, 02:14:47 PM

To answer my question about raising kids in the city, i can't think of a better plan than the one you mention above.

Bros helping bros, brah.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2675 on: July 07, 2011, 07:18:30 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on July 07, 2011, 11:08:03 AM
Quote from: BH on July 07, 2011, 09:48:35 AM

Besides north center, are any public elementary schools worth a damn? roscoe village, lincoln park?

Hawk Jr. is having a good experience at Burley Elementary in Lakeview/Wrigleyville West.  Blaine on Southport and Grace also good.  Hawthorne Magnet school isusually ranked as one of the tops in the state (the district is a little east fof Belmont and Racine.  Chicago Magazine puts out an issue on the best schools, may want to look up that.

From our perspective, with all due respect to Chuck, he's as wrong here as he always is.  You have to work a little harder to make sure your kid is edumacated in the city, but it can be done.  Meanwhile you have such things like the Field, Shedd, Adler and MSI for the little one to go to, and trains and busses and lots of parks and playgrounds to play on

Can you get them to post it on Rotoworld?

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2676 on: July 18, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Okay, since I'm one of those people who never got his hands dirty and learned a trade, I don't know dick about cars.  So I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who might have a bit more knowledge on the subject and can give me a little advice on this:

After our RAV4 got totaled in a nice little "incident" with a CTA bus, we're in the market for a new car.  She's of the opinion that she would be happy with another RAV4, but I noticed that a new RAV4 with a 6 cylinder engine (built for the next snowpacolypse) is only about $5,000 less than a 2008 Lexus RS350, which comes standard with a V6.  Given what I know about cars (nothing), I'm wondering if there is any real reason to spend the extra $5,000 on the 350 besides "I can look like a badass soccer mom".  Is there anything practically better about luxury cars?  At all?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2677 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on July 18, 2011, 01:00:52 PM
Okay, since I'm one of those people who never got his hands dirty and learned a trade, I don't know dick about cars.  So I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who might have a bit more knowledge on the subject and can give me a little advice on this:

After our RAV4 got totaled in a nice little "incident" with a CTA bus, we're in the market for a new car.  She's of the opinion that she would be happy with another RAV4, but I noticed that a new RAV4 with a 6 cylinder engine (built for the next snowpacolypse) is only about $5,000 less than a 2008 Lexus RS350, which comes standard with a V6.  Given what I know about cars (nothing), I'm wondering if there is any real reason to spend the extra $5,000 on the 350 besides "I can look like a badass soccer mom".  Is there anything practically better about luxury cars?  At all?

If you take out customer service, the ride quality, all wheel drive, better materials, better made car, better resale value, then the 2 are even.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2678 on: July 18, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
Quote from: BH on July 18, 2011, 01:09:01 PM

If you take out customer service, the ride quality, all wheel drive, better materials, better made car, better resale value, then the 2 are even.

The good thing is that with either car, everyone will just assume you're driving your wife's car.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2679 on: July 18, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »

If you have the means, the Lexus RX 450h gives you the same engine with better gas mileage.

Most luxury brands' CPO warranties are pretty much as good as new car warranties from mid-level dealers, so it all comes down to what you can afford - but going higher-end where possible will work out in the long run.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2680 on: July 18, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 18, 2011, 01:32:50 PM

If you have the means, the Lexus RX 450h gives you the same engine with better gas mileage.

Most luxury brands' CPO warranties are pretty much as good as new car warranties from mid-level dealers, so it all comes down to what you can afford - but going higher-end where possible will work out in the long run.

Luxury brands for used cars also often beat new cars on % rates... acura had 2.9% for 60 months on used cars, for example.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2681 on: July 18, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but I'm pretty sure if he's looking at a 2008 350, then the 450h is not on the table, considering it didn't come out until the following year + additional hybrid fees.

That aside, have you considered maybe a Porsche? I hear those are nice.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2682 on: July 18, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 18, 2011, 01:37:20 PM

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but I'm pretty sure if he's looking at a 2008 350, then the 450h is not on the table, considering it didn't come out until the following year + additional hybrid fees.

I assumed he meant the 400h, which came out in 2006. Is about $3k more than the 350 though.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2683 on: July 18, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »
Okay, since I'm one of those people who never got his hands dirty and learned a trade, I don't know dick about cars.  So I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who might have a bit more knowledge on the subject and can give me a little advice on this:

After our RAV4 got totaled in a nice little "incident" with a CTA bus, we're in the market for a new car.  She's of the opinion that she would be happy with another RAV4, but I noticed that a new RAV4 with a 6 cylinder engine (built for the next snowpacolypse) is only about $5,000 less than a 2008 Lexus RS350, which comes standard with a V6.  Given what I know about cars (nothing), I'm wondering if there is any real reason to spend the extra $5,000 on the 350 besides "I can look like a badass soccer mom".  Is there anything practically better about luxury cars?  At all?

And, if you're gonna step up to the Porsche, you'd be crazy not to upgrade to the turbo.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #2684 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »

Yep.  I want to keep the APR down to a low 89.9% when the debt ceiling doesn't get raised. 

It seems like the 2008 is the better deal, even though its got 35,000 miles on it--it comes with a 3-year, 100,000 mile warranty, which I can't even find on the new RAV4.