News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,076 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2745 on: November 17, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 17, 2011, 10:33:08 AM

This one doesn't leave much room for the dog so you might be forced to tie him to the back bumper or something.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2746 on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 17, 2011, 02:34:18 PM

This one doesn't leave much room for the dog so you might be forced to tie him to the back bumper or something.

Do you know what the penalties for animal cruelty are in this state? They're probably very severe.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2747 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 17, 2011, 02:34:18 PM

Mitt Romney can offer advice on that.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2748 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »

If you're dropping Christmas/Chanukka/Kwanzaa/Festivus hints, Mitchell and Ness has their usually ridiculously-priced gear at more reasonable prices.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2749 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
I imagine I'm the only one who has been following the Marc Stephens/Burzynski story, but for those who have a grasp of OTCBB, does this look funny? (The June 11-15 spike has a pretty clear media explanation; the trough setting it up doesn't.)
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2750 on: February 29, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
I never took a class in formal logic and all the potential fallacies but for some reason I want to read up on it. I blame Kermit for pointing out Phildo's laughable misuse of begging the question. Any recommendations that aren't unbearably esoteric to a common moran? Thanks, Internet people.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2751 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 29, 2012, 03:54:40 PM
I never took a class in formal logic and all the potential fallacies but for some reason I want to read up on it. I blame Kermit for pointing out Phildo's laughable misuse of begging the question. Any recommendations that aren't unbearably esoteric to a common moran? Thanks, Internet people.

This was the one that I had in a philosophy class in undergrad: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Logic-Alfred-Tarski/dp/048628462X/ref=pd_cp_b_1

EDIT...

If you don't want the formal book like that, I also have this on my bookshelf if you want to borrow it: http://www.amazon.com/Nonsense-Herrings-Sacred-Everyday-Language/dp/0975366262/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330559068&sr=1-2

DOUBLE EDIT...

In gil-ing the comments, I noted this:
QuoteBy the way, this book can be downloaded (in Adobe Acrobat PDF format) for free from the Axios Institute's website. But you still might want a paperback copy for your library shelves.

So, there you go.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2752 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on February 29, 2012, 05:42:55 PM

This was the one that I had in a philosophy class in undergrad: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Logic-Alfred-Tarski/dp/048628462X/ref=pd_cp_b_1

EDIT...

If you don't want the formal book like that, I also have this on my bookshelf if you want to borrow it: http://www.amazon.com/Nonsense-Herrings-Sacred-Everyday-Language/dp/0975366262/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330559068&sr=1-2

DOUBLE EDIT...

QuoteBy the way, this book can be downloaded (in Adobe Acrobat PDF format) for free from the Axios Institute's website. But you still might want a paperback copy for your library shelves.

So, there you go.

Thanks Gil - I've been actually interested in the same stuff.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2753 on: February 29, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »

EDIT...

DOUBLE EDIT...

So, there you go.

It appears that their free digital edition is offered on a rotating basis, so that it's no longer there, or at least I'm not finding it. Teller's A Modern Formal Logic Primer is available for free. It looks tedious and obviously is aiming to go straight for symbolic logic. I guess I'm not sure what is really being sought.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2754 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on February 29, 2012, 11:30:18 PM

EDIT...

DOUBLE EDIT...

So, there you go.

It appears that their free digital edition is offered on a rotating basis, so that it's no longer there, or at least I'm not finding it. Teller's A Modern Formal Logic Primer is available for free. It looks tedious and obviously is aiming to go straight for symbolic logic. I guess I'm not sure what is really being sought.

I think they just wanted an overview book on logical fallacies, in which case "Nonsense" is probably the best option without becoming too esoteric or boring.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2755 on: March 06, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
Anyone interested in a non-keeper, points-based (not H2H or Roto-style) fantasy baseball league?

Relatively competitive.

I have 1-3 slots to fill (currently at 9 teams, willing to go to 12.)

Just PM me if you're interested.

Points are accumulated as follows:

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2756 on: April 17, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
Cooking question.

I've recently acquired a Crockpot.  Now, if I were to make a beef dish or some kind of goulash, would I need to cook or brown the beef before I place it in the Crockpot or will the Crockpot cook the beef over the course of 8 hours or so?

This question would also apply to other meats in the Crockpot.

I'll hang up and listen to my answer.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2757 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 17, 2012, 05:35:49 PM
Cooking question.

I've recently acquired a Crockpot.  Now, if I were to make a beef dish or some kind of goulash, would I need to cook or brown the beef before I place it in the Crockpot or will the Crockpot cook the beef over the course of 8 hours or so?

Some recipes will suggest you brown the meat before you dump it into the pot, but I've never really undertsood the reasoning behind this suggestion.  Clearly it can't be because they're worried that the meat will be underdone, because at 8 hours, even on low heat, that shit'll get cooked just fine.  There might be another justification that pertains to texture or something (or maybe excess grease that you typically take care of by browning (and draining) the meat beforehand?) that one of the amatuer cooks in here might know, but I otherwise don't understand this suggestion.  Throw all the shit in and turn it and go to the titty bar.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2758 on: April 17, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 17, 2012, 06:22:53 PM
Cooking question.

I've recently acquired a Crockpot.  Now, if I were to make a beef dish or some kind of goulash, would I need to cook or brown the beef before I place it in the Crockpot or will the Crockpot cook the beef over the course of 8 hours or so?

Some recipes will suggest you brown the meat before you dump it into the pot, but I've never really undertsood the reasoning behind this suggestion.  Clearly it can't be because they're worried that the meat will be underdone, because at 8 hours, even on low heat, that shit'll get cooked just fine.  There might be another justification that pertains to texture or something (or maybe excess grease that you typically take care of by browning (and draining) the meat beforehand?) that one of the amatuer cooks in here might know, but I otherwise don't understand this suggestion.  Throw all the shit in and turn it and go to the titty bar.

Browning is never really about making sure the meat isn't underdone so much as it's about the flavor.

The Maillard reaction involved in browning meat is responsible for developing distinctive meaty flavor compounds and it will never happen cooking at the lower temperature a crockpot operates at.

Brown the meat and then deglaze the browning skillet in order to hang onto all the delicious brown bits that get left behind.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2759 on: April 18, 2012, 03:13:18 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 17, 2012, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: PANK! on April 17, 2012, 06:22:53 PM
Cooking question.

Browning is never really about making sure the meat isn't underdone so much as it's about the flavor.

The Maillard reaction involved in browning meat is responsible for developing distinctive meaty flavor compounds and it will never happen cooking at the lower temperature a crockpot operates at.

Brown the meat and then deglaze the browning skillet in order to hang onto all the delicious brown bits that get left behind.

This.  It's all about the flavour, baby.  Six or eight hours in a crockpot will cook the living shit out of pretty much any joint of meat you care to mention.

Top tip - if you're cooking a joint, brown it and then chuck half a bottle of beer in the crockpot with it.  Add mustard if it's beef or venison.  Drink rest of beer.  Profit.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.