News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,391 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2760 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:29 AM »

Fuck, where's BBM when we need him?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2761 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 18, 2012, 03:13:18 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 17, 2012, 06:34:32 PM
Quote from: PANK! on April 17, 2012, 06:22:53 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 17, 2012, 05:35:49 PM
Cooking question.

I've recently acquired a Crockpot.  Now, if I were to make a beef dish or some kind of goulash, would I need to cook or brown the beef before I place it in the Crockpot or will the Crockpot cook the beef over the course of 8 hours or so?

This question would also apply to other meats in the Crockpot.

I'll hang up and listen to my answer.

Some recipes will suggest you brown the meat before you dump it into the pot, but I've never really undertsood the reasoning behind this suggestion.  Clearly it can't be because they're worried that the meat will be underdone, because at 8 hours, even on low heat, that shit'll get cooked just fine.  There might be another justification that pertains to texture or something (or maybe excess grease that you typically take care of by browning (and draining) the meat beforehand?) that one of the amatuer cooks in here might know, but I otherwise don't understand this suggestion.  Throw all the shit in and turn it and go to the titty bar.

Browning is never really about making sure the meat isn't underdone so much as it's about the flavor.

The Maillard reaction involved in browning meat is responsible for developing distinctive meaty flavor compounds and it will never happen cooking at the lower temperature a crockpot operates at.

Brown the meat and then deglaze the browning skillet in order to hang onto all the delicious brown bits that get left behind.

This.  It's all about the flavour, baby.  Six or eight hours in a crockpot will cook the living shit out of pretty much any joint of meat you care to mention.

Top tip - if you're cooking a joint, brown it and then chuck half a bottle of beer in the crockpot with it.  Add mustard if it's beef or venison.  Drink rest of beer.  Profit.

That's not how I cook a joint.  You just need to make sure it's rolled evenly so it burns straight.  You people sure are strange.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2762 on: April 18, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 18, 2012, 08:48:16 AM
Cooking question.

I've recently acquired a Crockpot.  Now, if I were to make a beef dish or some kind of goulash, would I need to cook or brown the beef before I place it in the Crockpot or will the Crockpot cook the beef over the course of 8 hours or so?

Some recipes will suggest you brown the meat before you dump it into the pot, but I've never really undertsood the reasoning behind this suggestion.  Clearly it can't be because they're worried that the meat will be underdone, because at 8 hours, even on low heat, that shit'll get cooked just fine.  There might be another justification that pertains to texture or something (or maybe excess grease that you typically take care of by browning (and draining) the meat beforehand?) that one of the amatuer cooks in here might know, but I otherwise don't understand this suggestion.  Throw all the shit in and turn it and go to the titty bar.

Browning is never really about making sure the meat isn't underdone so much as it's about the flavor.

The Maillard reaction involved in browning meat is responsible for developing distinctive meaty flavor compounds and it will never happen cooking at the lower temperature a crockpot operates at.

Brown the meat and then deglaze the browning skillet in order to hang onto all the delicious brown bits that get left behind.

This.  It's all about the flavour, baby.  Six or eight hours in a crockpot will cook the living shit out of pretty much any joint of meat you care to mention.

Top tip - if you're cooking a joint, brown it and then chuck half a bottle of beer in the crockpot with it.  Add mustard if it's beef or venison.  Drink rest of beer.  Profit.

That's not how I cook a joint.  You just need to make sure it's rolled evenly so it burns straight.  You people sure are strange.

After 8 hours in a crockpot, you could pretty much have your shoe come out tender, but I definitely recommend the browning for taste. 
Same deal with a dutch oven (which are even better than crockpots, but not really something you'd want to leave in the oven for 8 hours unattended.)
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2763 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on April 18, 2012, 11:40:29 AM
Cooking question.

After 8 hours in a crockpot, you could pretty much have your shoe come out tender, but I definitely recommend the browning for taste. 
Same deal with a dutch oven (which are even better than crockpots, but not really something you'd want to leave in the oven for 8 hours unattended.)

Agreed on the dutch oven.  It's way better than the crock pot, but  you have to be home to make whatever in it.  It does get really hot and keeps everything in way better than the regular crock pot.  And if you're going to put meat in there, at least sear it or give it a little char before you put it in the pot. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2764 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on April 18, 2012, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: PenPho on April 18, 2012, 11:40:29 AM
Cooking question.

This.  It's all about the flavour, baby.  Six or eight hours in a crockpot will cook the living shit out of pretty much any joint of meat you care to mention.

Top tip - if you're cooking a joint, brown it and then chuck half a bottle of beer in the crockpot with it.  Add mustard if it's beef or venison.  Drink rest of beer.  Profit.

That's not how I cook a joint.  You just need to make sure it's rolled evenly so it burns straight.  You people sure are strange.

Agreed on the dutch oven.  It's way better than the crock pot, but  you have to be home to make whatever in it.  It does get really hot and keeps everything in way better than the regular crock pot.  And if you're going to put meat in there, at least sear it or give it a little char before you put it in the pot.  

I did a variation on this recipe on a cold snowy Sunday this past winter.
"Pork Shoulder alla Porchetta" substituting 10 hours in the crockpot instead of 2 1/2 in the oven.
Which made it an absolute must to sear all sides of the meat first in a cast iron pot.
Shredded and served on toasted ciabatta rolls.
Fucking outstanding and made the house smell like slow cooked pork heaven.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2765 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
Quote from: flannj on April 18, 2012, 12:39:44 PM
Which made it an absolute must to sear all sides of the meat first in a cast iron pot.

Pork crust is basically the greatest thing ever. One can make some pretty good pulled pork by searing the outside for a few minutes and then cooking slowly in a crock pot. Easy as can be.

Then again, living in KC, it feels futile to try my hand any sort of pork or barbecue product at home so I rarely bother.

And who knew we had so many epicureans here on Desipio?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2766 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 18, 2012, 01:06:21 PM

Pork crust is basically the greatest thing ever. One can make some pretty good pulled pork by searing the outside for a few minutes and then cooking slowly in a crock pot. Easy as can be.

Then again, living in KC, it feels futile to try my hand any sort of pork or barbecue product at home so I rarely bother.

Just a guess here, but the average Desipiot is probably 10-15% overweight.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2767 on: April 18, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »

I've been focused making several French dishes at this point; chicken provencale, beef bourginon, etc.  Very interesting combinations there.  However, I've never used a crockpot before in my cooking, so I thought I'd ask.

I think I've perfected my lobster bisque recipe.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2768 on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on April 18, 2012, 01:13:41 PM

I've been focused making several French dishes at this point; chicken provencale, beef bourginon, etc.  Very interesting combinations there.  However, I've never used a crockpot before in my cooking, so I thought I'd ask.

I think I've perfected my lobster bisque recipe.

Have you tried your hand at crockpot chicken oscar?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2769 on: April 18, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 18, 2012, 01:09:10 PM

Speak for yourself tubby.

And shouldn't the two of us only know how to boil meat?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2770 on: April 18, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »

Not since Chuck Dickens stopped coming around to keep the average down.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2771 on: April 18, 2012, 01:26:35 PM »
Quote from: flannj on April 18, 2012, 01:21:31 PM

Speaking for myself, I'd peg the number at closer to 20%.

And dinner was never something we looked forward to growing up.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2772 on: April 18, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 18, 2012, 01:26:35 PM

Does half a potato and a tumbler of whiskey count as "dinner" now?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2773 on: April 18, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Quote from: Bort on April 18, 2012, 01:28:56 PM

Does half a potato and a tumbler of whiskey count as "dinner" now?

For dessert he got hit with a belt.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2774 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »

"What's for potato tonight, mom?"
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.