News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,294 )

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2820 on: June 07, 2012, 03:25:55 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 07, 2012, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: PenPho on June 07, 2012, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 07, 2012, 10:23:57 AM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2012, 11:02:16 PM
Quote from: PANK! on June 06, 2012, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 06, 2012, 10:03:21 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 06, 2012, 08:53:54 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2012, 08:44:54 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 06, 2012, 08:23:55 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2012, 06:02:48 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 06, 2012, 05:48:54 PM
Might be moving to San Diego. Anyone familiar enough for housing recommendations?

What you looking for?

I'd like to be close to a beach, but not more than $1200 per month close. Easy and relatively quick access to downtown. Fairly quiet and not too close to college student party craziness/general buffoonery. (Such as Pacific Beach but with a safe buffer from Garnet.) A Trader Joe's and the like nearby would be really nice. Somewhere to park. Good building management, too. I found one on Haines that meets all this except the management has pretty bad reviews. It'd be a plus if cats are allowed but I'll compromise on that for the other stuff.

I also want M&M's in a dish on the table. Red ones. The M&M's should be managed by a rotating cast of beautiful swimsuit models in bikinis. And Kate Upton is my roommate.

How long of a commute are you shooting for?

Ideally ten minutes, but if it meets everything on the list and is really close to a beach I'd go up to 20, 25.  My commute is 50 now and I'm kinda worn out.

Intrepid Reader: Huey

How do you feel about biking to the train?

As if they've got trains in San Diego.  Pshaw.

Metrolink, ogdens!

But seriously, I'd stay away from towns and areas right on the border with TJ; that's just asking for trouble right there.

Pacific Beach, La Jolla, and Chula Vista are good.

I'm also partial to Encinitas and Del Mar, if being on the ocean tickles your fancy (caveat: those are pretty far north of the city).

I had a one hour commute going from West Los Angeles to Downtown each day, so if you're willing to stomach it, you could go to the OC (Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano [home of the swallows]) and drive down the 5 each day, but this would be an hour and a half each way every day (but you'd be in a pretty plush location).

www.padmapper.com should provide a solid overview of places.

Thank you Gil. Do you have any recommendations on PM companies, whether good ones or ones to avoid?

Plenty of options in your price range on Coronado Island.

I don't know what it would be like to actually live there in terms of social life, but the commute wouldn't be too bad over the bridge each day, assuming you're working downtown S.D.  and it's obviously very close the beach

Hadn't thought of Coronado, thanks Pen.

My wife said "We should definitely move here" about 15 seconds after crossing the bridge. 
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2821 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on June 07, 2012, 03:25:55 PM
My wife said "We should definitely move here" about 15 seconds after crossing the bridge. 

Didn't see this until now, but she's probably right.

Anyway, assuming the landlord doesn't find this site, my application should soon be approved for my new place.  Thanks for the insight, only site, as always.

Now the critically-important question of which TV and internet service to choose has presented itself: AT&T U-verse, or Cox.  I already have an HD HomeRun tuner, and I'm generally against needing a separate box for every single TV.  (Even if I only have two, but, whatever.)  So what do you guys recommend?  Is U-verse worth giving all that up?  If not, how many channels will I be able to pick up with Clear QAM?  (A.k.a. the channels your TV can tune in by itself without a set-top decoder box.)  Will I be still be able to record Archer in HD on my computer and quickly convert for iPad and Apple TV?  Please say yes.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2822 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Yes

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2825 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:36 PM »
Apparently Fred Willard has no children (or grandchildren).

So I guess it stands to reason that no one's ever taught him how to use the internet.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2826 on: July 23, 2012, 05:08:11 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 16, 2012, 08:20:08 PM
Quote from: PenPho on June 07, 2012, 03:25:55 PM

Didn't see this until now, but she's probably right.

Anyway, assuming the landlord doesn't find this site, my application should soon be approved for my new place.  Thanks for the insight, only site, as always.

Now the critically-important question of which TV and internet service to choose has presented itself: AT&T U-verse, or Cox.  I already have an HD HomeRun tuner, and I'm generally against needing a separate box for every single TV.  (Even if I only have two, but, whatever.)  So what do you guys recommend?  Is U-verse worth giving all that up?  If not, how many channels will I be able to pick up with Clear QAM?  (A.k.a. the channels your TV can tune in by itself without a set-top decoder box.)  Will I be still be able to record Archer in HD on my computer and quickly convert for iPad and Apple TV?  Please say yes.

Well, on the one hand, Cox is probably the best cable company in the U.S.  They do a pretty solid job of adapting to new technology (see Cox Online), they have the fastest internet in the country, they rarely, if ever have any Retransmission issues (See DirecTV/Viacom) and they have introductory packages starting as low as $25/$25/$25 for Cable/Internet/Phone.  Plus, they're now offering home security as well that I've heard really good things about (though I doubt you'll need this on Coronado in a rental unit.)  They offer NFL RedZone for a rather reasonable rate ($30/year IIRC), and carry NFL/MLB/other sports networks everywhere.  Also, while I only have their internet at the moment, I've always had excellent customer service from them.    

On the other side, U-Verse TV is a really good product that's getting better all the time as they (very slowly and methodically) increase their geographic footprint. Their DVR will kick the crap out of anything that Cox currently has (record up to 4 shows at a time, whole-home DVR) and you can bundle your Cable and Internet with your wireless phone, which Cox won't let you do. The internet speeds won't compare with Cox's best, but everyone is getting better in a hurry. The demographic for U-Verse (and Verizon's FIOS) is essentially you, it's younger, higher-educated, more tech-savvy folks who are less likely to have a landline phone and multiple family members streaming concurrently (even though they certainly advertise family-heavy scenarios.)  I'd post the Multichannel News report with demos, but it's behind their paywall and I don't think it's really worth the extra effort to log-in and create a work-around for a non-essential support point.

So, depends on your needs, but both have benefits.

/probably more than you wanted to know.  
//spends far too much time in the telco space.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2827 on: July 23, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 23, 2012, 05:08:11 AM
U-Verse TV is a really good product that's getting better all the time

My 82-year-old neighbor detests U-Verse, so you're wrong.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2828 on: July 23, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on July 23, 2012, 05:52:20 PM

The demographic for U-Verse (and Verizon's FIOS) is essentially you, it's younger, higher-educated, more tech-savvy folks who are less likely to have a landline phone and multiple family members streaming concurrently.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2829 on: July 23, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 23, 2012, 06:07:41 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on July 23, 2012, 05:52:20 PM

The demographic for U-Verse (and Verizon's FIOS) is essentially you, it's younger, higher-educated, more tech-savvy folks who are less likely to have a landline phone and multiple family members streaming concurrently.

Don't try to change the subject.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2830 on: August 04, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »
I'm doing this Tuesday night.

Anyone with me?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2831 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »
Is it a totally pussy move to anonymously submit a complaint to the California Division of Consumer Affairs regarding a cancer quack? The general allegations are operating an unregistered Telephone Medical Advice Service, practicing medicine without a license, and consumer fraud.

To wit:

Plus, she's really obnoxious.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2832 on: August 14, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on August 14, 2012, 08:42:22 PM
Is it a totally pussy move to anonymously submit a complaint to the California Division of Consumer Affairs regarding a cancer quack?

Intrepid Reader: Sterling Archer

Sure... But I bet she's hot.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2833 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 14, 2012, 09:07:06 PM
Is it a totally pussy move to anonymously submit a complaint to the California Division of Consumer Affairs regarding a cancer quack?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/Tamzz69?cf=regular

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2834 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 14, 2012, 09:07:06 PM

No doubt.  Dead sexy and wards off cancer?  Win-win.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?