News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,413 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2970 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
My apologies. I got fed up with the situation and got drunk yesterday. I just got on with Frontier last week and I hadn't switched all the devices right away. Basically, I was initially wanting to get in the router to make sure there wasn't a cap on the amount of items allowed on the network. On Thursday, I had used my Xbox and PS3 in my room, with no issues. On Friday, I was in the living room, using my roommate's PS3 for Hulu (which I just got on the network), and I went to the bedroom and tried getting on Hulu with both devices, which weren't getting online. My initial assumption was the cap on things connected to the network, but I tried connecting my xbox/ps3 to the comcast network that I haven't cancelled quite yet and that wasn't working. So, honestly, I'm unsure of what actually went wrong. The PS3 was indicating a DNS Server issue, which I may have found a fix for, but the xbox hasn't been clear.

But yea, I'm worried about reverting the router since it might be set up a certain way to allow the internet. I haven't wanted to mess with it since, but I'll probably try some fixes tomorrow night (including whatever I might be able to do in the router).

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2971 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 17, 2013, 08:17:21 PM
My apologies. I got fed up with the situation and got drunk yesterday. I just got on with Frontier last week and I hadn't switched all the devices right away. Basically, I was initially wanting to get in the router to make sure there wasn't a cap on the amount of items allowed on the network. On Thursday, I had used my Xbox and PS3 in my room, with no issues. On Friday, I was in the living room, using my roommate's PS3 for Hulu (which I just got on the network), and I went to the bedroom and tried getting on Hulu with both devices, which weren't getting online. My initial assumption was the cap on things connected to the network, but I tried connecting my xbox/ps3 to the comcast network that I haven't cancelled quite yet and that wasn't working. So, honestly, I'm unsure of what actually went wrong. The PS3 was indicating a DNS Server issue, which I may have found a fix for, but the xbox hasn't been clear.

But yea, I'm worried about reverting the router since it might be set up a certain way to allow the internet. I haven't wanted to mess with it since, but I'll probably try some fixes tomorrow night (including whatever I might be able to do in the router).

Keep us posted, Gomer.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2972 on: March 17, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »
Basically, I was initially wanting to get in the router to make sure there wasn't a cap on the amount of items allowed on the network.

Sweet Jesus, I could use some grass. Yeti, you're worried about the subnet mask? The box does NAT and DHCP; there's no discernible reason why it would care how many addresses it hands out. Have you rented a static CIDR block?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #2973 on: March 18, 2013, 04:41:41 AM »

You could try growing up and not having 2 video game systems in your room
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2974 on: March 18, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 18, 2013, 04:41:41 AM

The irony, it burns.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2975 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 18, 2013, 04:41:41 AM

Want me to move the Xbox to the living room so I don't have 2 in my room?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2976 on: March 21, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
Paging Gilstew: Can anybody decipher what the calendar entry here means?

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2977 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:01 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on March 21, 2013, 07:06:12 PM

Looks like the quack in Britian is trying to sue the journalists who exposed him for lible in Texas after losing in the UK (he got it backwards apparently).  The Texas courts ruled for the journalists, on the basis of lack of jurisdiction, and it appears the good doctor is appealing on the basis that the journalists did certain actions that would allow them to be served in Texas.  Each side has put in their briefs, and they await oral argument, I think.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2978 on: March 22, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on March 22, 2013, 05:08:01 PM

Looks like the quack in Britian is trying to sue the journalists who exposed him for lible in Texas after losing in the UK (he got it backwards apparently).  The Texas courts ruled for the journalists, on the basis of lack of jurisdiction, and it appears the good doctor is appealing on the basis that the journalists did certain actions that would allow them to be served in Texas.  Each side has put in their briefs, and they await oral argument, I think.

Yah, it's been quite goofy. I assume that since both parties requested oral argument, it's going to happen (although Wakefield apparently did not request findings of fact and conclusions of law from the trial court, so this should thus turn purely on law, which is to say, Wakefield appears to have conceded that BMJ et al. didn't even know he was in Texas). What I was specifically wondering about is what one should expect to happen on April 3. Just setting a date for the oral argument? Or could the whole thing be tossed?

(It is widely speculated that Wakefield filed in Texas because he knew he didn't have a shot but could rally his dwindling troops [no, Paypal will not process a $50,000 "donation"]. He's walked away from a libel suit before. Of course, in the UK the loser pays. Everyone on the sidelines here would love to see the anti-SLAPP reached if the appeal succeeds, although that's a bit much to expect from the defendants.)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2979 on: March 22, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on March 22, 2013, 06:03:12 PM

Yah, it's been quite goofy. I assume that since both parties requested oral argument, it's going to happen (although Wakefield apparently did not request findings of fact and conclusions of law from the trial court, so this should thus turn purely on law, which is to say, Wakefield appears to have conceded that BMJ et al. didn't even know he was in Texas). What I was specifically wondering about is what one should expect to happen on April 3. Just setting a date for the oral argument? Or could the whole thing be tossed?

(It is widely speculated that Wakefield filed in Texas because he knew he didn't have a shot but could rally his dwindling troops [no, Paypal will not process a $50,000 "donation"]. He's walked away from a libel suit before. Of course, in the UK the loser pays. Everyone on the sidelines here would love to see the anti-SLAPP reached if the appeal succeeds, although that's a bit much to expect from the defendants.)

Both sides have submitted briefs.  this is apparently a jurisdiction where you must affirmatively request to orally argue your case before the court.  Both sides have done that.  (In California the appellant gets to submit a reply brief after the respondent files its response.  If that is also the case in Texas I don't see that has happened yet.  so there may still be a written brief coming in before the case is heard by the court.)
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2980 on: March 22, 2013, 06:51:42 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 22, 2013, 06:43:33 PM

Both sides have submitted briefs.  this is apparently a jurisdiction where you must affirmatively request to orally argue your case before the court.  Both sides have done that.  (In California the appellant gets to submit a reply brief after the respondent files its response.  If that is also the case in Texas I don't see that has happened yet.  so there may still be a written brief coming in before the case is heard by the court.)

Oh yeah.  The April 3 "at issue".  Those words pertain to the finality of the preliminaries and whether the case is ready for decision (or possibly ready for oral argument).  In California that simply means that all parties have been served with the complaint in the trial court and answers have been filed or defaults taken as to those parties who have been served but haven't answered in a timely fashion.  I can only guess that in this case that is the deadline set by the court for everything to be filed and ready for the court to proceed.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2981 on: March 22, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 22, 2013, 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: CBStew on March 22, 2013, 06:43:33 PM

Looks like the quack in Britian is trying to sue the journalists who exposed him for lible in Texas after losing in the UK (he got it backwards apparently).  The Texas courts ruled for the journalists, on the basis of lack of jurisdiction, and it appears the good doctor is appealing on the basis that the journalists did certain actions that would allow them to be served in Texas.  Each side has put in their briefs, and they await oral argument, I think.

Both sides have submitted briefs.  this is apparently a jurisdiction where you must affirmatively request to orally argue your case before the court.  Both sides have done that.  (In California the appellant gets to submit a reply brief after the respondent files its response.  If that is also the case in Texas I don't see that has happened yet.  so there may still be a written brief coming in before the case is heard by the court.)

Oh yeah.  The April 3 "at issue".  Those words pertain to the finality of the preliminaries and whether the case is ready for decision (or possibly ready for oral argument).  In California that simply means that all parties have been served with the complaint in the trial court and answers have been filed or defaults taken as to those parties who have been served but haven't answered in a timely fashion.  I can only guess that in this case that is the deadline set by the court for everything to be filed and ready for the court to proceed.

Fun fact: In Texas, the court reporter owns his or her portion of the transcript. This appears to have led to some delay in this one. I guess Texas appellate rule 38.6(c) gives appellant Wakefield until the 24th to file a reply brief.

(There's also an amusing backstory on Wakefield's "foreign counsel," who they flew in for the hearing last year but wisely did not allow to speak, but that's getting far afield.)

But so, basically, nothing dramatic is likely to happen.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2982 on: April 03, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
Anybody know anything about speakers?

Due to configuration of the new living space, the tower speakers we currently have aren't going to work.

We have built-in shelves that are 18" high, so I'd like to get two speakers that will fit in there.

Will be used for music and TV.  Need to be decent, but I certainly don't have a discerning enough ear that I'll know the difference between good and great.

Can I just get something like this?

These are about 3 times the price, are they much better?

Thanks in advance.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2983 on: April 03, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 03, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

Due to configuration of the new living space, the tower speakers we currently have aren't going to work.

We have built-in shelves that are 18" high, so I'd like to get two speakers that will fit in there.

Will be used for music and TV.  Need to be decent, but I certainly don't have a discerning enough ear that I'll know the difference between good and great.

Thanks in advance.

You do get what you pay for Pen and there will be a noticable difference.
What is your budget?
If you could swing it I would take a look at these.
Klipsch lowest price bookshelf but they make a quality product.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2984 on: April 03, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
Quote from: flannj on April 03, 2013, 01:45:53 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 03, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

Thanks in advance.

You do get what you pay for Pen and there will be a noticable difference.
What is your budget?
If you could swing it I would take a look at these.
Klipsch lowest price bookshelf but they make a quality product.

I was hoping to spend about $200/pair.

Thanks - I 'll take a look at these.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.