News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,655 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #2985 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 03, 2013, 01:48:18 PM
Quote from: flannj on April 03, 2013, 01:45:53 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on April 03, 2013, 01:27:49 PM
Anybody know anything about speakers?

Due to configuration of the new living space, the tower speakers we currently have aren't going to work.

We have built-in shelves that are 18" high, so I'd like to get two speakers that will fit in there.

Will be used for music and TV.  Need to be decent, but I certainly don't have a discerning enough ear that I'll know the difference between good and great.

Can I just get something like this?

These are about 3 times the price, are they much better?

Thanks in advance.

You do get what you pay for Pen and there will be a noticable difference.
What is your budget?
If you could swing it I would take a look at these.
Klipsch lowest price bookshelf but they make a quality product.

I was hoping to spend about $200/pair.

Thanks - I 'll take a look at these.

You may also want to look at these]=http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837] these .  I am using 3 of them with my TV, and have worked great.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2986 on: April 03, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »

Due to configuration of the new living space, the tower speakers we currently have aren't going to work.

We have built-in shelves that are 18" high, so I'd like to get two speakers that will fit in there.

Will be used for music and TV.  Need to be decent, but I certainly don't have a discerning enough ear that I'll know the difference between good and great.

Thanks in advance.

What is your budget?

Bose is a notable counterexample to this proposition.

[Edit.--But so, Pen, you're looking for bookshelf speakers that you're going to put in a bookshelf?]

[Edit 2.--I should have mentioned that you should take a look at Audiogon if you're willing to buy used (it's where I got my nOrh Prisms). There's a pair of JBL Studio L810's up for $225 at the moment.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2987 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on April 03, 2013, 04:56:56 PM
[Edit.--But so, Pen, you're looking for bookshelf speakers that you're going to put in a bookshelf?]

Plan was to mount the TV over the fireplace, and put all audio equipment and TV components on the top shelves.

Bad idea?

Photo of prior owner's set-up:

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2988 on: April 03, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 03, 2013, 05:30:06 PM

Plan was to mount the TV over the fireplace, and put all audio equipment and TV components on the top shelves.

Bad idea?

No, you can do it; the question is one of rear-ported speakers. If they're pushed right up against the back of the shelf, you can get some odd results. You could also consider wall-mounts.

Is the reason you can't use the floorstanders the symmetry of the seating, or are they really acoustically "too big" for the space?

[Edit.--If you can get a 19.8 inch speaker on those shelves, there's a slightly dinged pair of Axiom M22 v2's on Ebay for $200. The M2 v2's are also reputed to be quite good, but we're talking $338 at this point for the M2 v3, although you do get to audition them. The old saying is that the bulk of your audio budget should go into the loudspeakers.]
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2989 on: April 03, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on April 03, 2013, 05:46:12 PM

Bad idea?

No, you can do it; the question is one of rear-ported speakers. If they're pushed right up against the back of the shelf, you can get some odd results. You could also consider wall-mounts.

Is the reason you can't use the floorstanders the symmetry of the seating, or are they really acoustically "too big" for the space?

[Edit.--If you can get a 19.8 inch speaker on those shelves, there's a slightly dinged pair of Axiom M22 v2's on Ebay for $200. The M2 v2's are also reputed to be quite good, but we're talking $338 at this point for the M2 v3, although you do get to audition them. The old saying is that the bulk of your audio budget should go into the loudspeakers.]

Audiophiles, is the top shelf too high?  It was always my understanding that speakers are supposed to be placed at ear level.  Might be wrong.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2990 on: April 04, 2013, 02:23:30 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 03, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on April 03, 2013, 05:46:12 PM

Bad idea?

Audiophiles, is the top shelf too high?  It was always my understanding that speakers are supposed to be placed at ear level.  Might be wrong.

Look at the ceiling; that's not an "audiophile" space to start with. The question isn't exquisite soundstage or separation, it's value for money. Four or five feet up isn't going to make a difference when we're talking monitors in the first place. What you want is efficiency and respectable frequency response. (I almost suggested an omnidirectional, but they're too expensive.)

Of course, what we don't know is what Pen's going to be driving them with. But this is not in the cards:

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2991 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »

Bad idea?

Photo of prior owner's set-up:

I hope you negotiated the purchase of their furniture when you bought your house.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2992 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »

Thanks in advance.

What is your budget?

Bose is a notable counterexample to this proposition.

Buy Other Sound Equipment?
Another triumph of marketing over substance.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2993 on: April 12, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »

I'm looking to buy a tablet. I like the Surface for its keyboard and dedicated USB and charger ports. IPad has the most apps.

Tablet users - any thoughts?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2994 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 12, 2013, 03:35:31 PM

I'm looking to buy a tablet. I like the Surface for its keyboard and dedicated USB and charger ports. IPad has the most apps.

(Fork, you can write your own joke about Stew and/or Heston's dead, cold hands here)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2995 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:44 PM »

I've used iPads and Surfaces and the Surface is just bereft of any good applications. If that's what's most important to you, get the iPad.

I don't have any experience with Samsung tablets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2996 on: April 12, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 12, 2013, 04:20:44 PM

I've used iPads and Surfaces and the Surface is just bereft of any good applications. If that's what's most important to you, get the iPad.

My brother has a Samsung tablet, says it's awesome.

It's really small, like an iPad Mini.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2997 on: April 12, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 12, 2013, 04:31:33 PM
Quote from: Slaky on April 12, 2013, 04:20:44 PM

My brother has a Samsung tablet, says it's awesome.

It's really small, like an iPad Mini.

I've used a friend's Samsung and personally own the iPad 4th gen.  I do like the USB connections on the Samsung, but nothing can really beat the iPad at this point, especially in terms of applications (as you said), functionality, build quality, and portability.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2998 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »
I'm liking the Nexus 7. Unlike a Samsung or Sony, its an android without the manufacturer's OS on top of the Android OS.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2999 on: April 13, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 12, 2013, 03:50:56 PM
(Fork, you can write your own joke about Stew and/or Heston's dead, cold hands here)

They break easily.