News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,027 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3135 on: July 24, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 24, 2013, 03:17:49 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 24, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2013, 02:14:56 PM
Quote from: CBStew on July 24, 2013, 01:56:11 PM
The 200 block on Golden Gate is in the Tenderloin District.  Not the neighborhood that you want to be walking around at night.  Or during the daytime either.  If you can afford a loft you should be looking more in the South of Market area.  Nearer to ATT Park.  

I'm trying to stay within walking distance of UC Hastings.  

Quote from: PenFoe on July 24, 2013, 01:50:27 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2013, 01:33:22 PM
Alright, so here we go again.  Looks like I'm moving to downtown San Francisco.  This place was recommended to me, and it looks perfect for what I'm looking for, but it's probably just a little too steep at $1500/mo.  I'd like $1000/mo, but in that area.  I'll go back to Padmapper for a search, but if anyone has specific suggestions I'd appreciate it.  It's no Norway, but it'll do.

I've got a bunch of people who live in SF - what specifically are you looking for? Meaning, how much flexibility is there in terms of neighborhood?  

Just give me some specifics and I'll see what I can find out.

Are you set at $1000/mo in that area or is there flexibility?  

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.  That's what I considered a short walk.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

So you'd walk an hour to work, work 8 hours (or whatever gomos work in San Fran), walk an hour home, then if a family member was spending the night, sleep in the same room as them?

I think he means that they'd be forced to stay in a hotel, smart guy.

If only HIS parents had had the foresight to purchase a condo I the area...

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3136 on: July 24, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 24, 2013, 03:16:21 PM
The 200 block on Golden Gate is in the Tenderloin District.  Not the neighborhood that you want to be walking around at night.  Or during the daytime either.  If you can afford a loft you should be looking more in the South of Market area.  Nearer to ATT Park.  

Alright, so here we go again.  Looks like I'm moving to downtown San Francisco.  This place was recommended to me, and it looks perfect for what I'm looking for, but it's probably just a little too steep at $1500/mo.  I'd like $1000/mo, but in that area.  I'll go back to Padmapper for a search, but if anyone has specific suggestions I'd appreciate it.  It's no Norway, but it'll do.

I've got a bunch of people who live in SF - what specifically are you looking for? Meaning, how much flexibility is there in terms of neighborhood?  

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.  That's what I considered a short walk.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

So you'd walk an hour to work, work 8 hours (or whatever gomos work in San Fran), walk an hour home, then if a family member was spending the night, sleep in the same room as them?

Not if I have a one-bedroom, IDITO
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3137 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 24, 2013, 03:10:48 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2013, 02:27:28 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 24, 2013, 02:21:21 PM

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

Here's what I've got...

Quote from: Pen's Friend
He should definitely look for a place in Nob Hill (where I live!). He's totally be able to find a place for $1k in the Tenderloin, but it's just really sketchy down there.
So I'd recommend Nob Hill or Soma (south of market); both of those places would be walking distance from UC Hastings!
Or, the Mission, too!

Happy to go back to her with more questions if you've got, just let me know.

Thanks, Pen.  How much more for parking, if she knows?

Oh - good question! So some places come with parking (but most don't). We park our car on the street... but you can get a spot in garages which is typically very expensive (welcome to SF...). Like $300/month.

Thank you, Pen, and thank you, Pen's Friend.  So is Padmapper the best way to search, or is there a Local Thing?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3138 on: July 25, 2013, 02:07:53 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 24, 2013, 11:46:22 PM

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

Here's what I've got...

He should definitely look for a place in Nob Hill (where I live!). He's totally be able to find a place for $1k in the Tenderloin, but it's just really sketchy down there.
So I'd recommend Nob Hill or Soma (south of market); both of those places would be walking distance from UC Hastings!
Or, the Mission, too!

Thanks, Pen.  How much more for parking, if she knows?

Oh - good question! So some places come with parking (but most don't). We park our car on the street... but you can get a spot in garages which is typically very expensive (welcome to SF...). Like $300/month.

Thank you, Pen, and thank you, Pen's Friend.  So is Padmapper the best way to search, or is there a Local Thing?

Try Zillow for rentals too.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3139 on: July 25, 2013, 12:57:39 PM »

The whole city is within walking distance. Even my fat ass walked to work when I lived there.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3140 on: July 25, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I can't tell you how pleased I am that Andy has changed the home page of Desipio.  I hope this means that we won't have to see Steve's naked body for a while.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3141 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 25, 2013, 02:07:53 AM
The 200 block on Golden Gate is in the Tenderloin District.  Not the neighborhood that you want to be walking around at night.  Or during the daytime either.  If you can afford a loft you should be looking more in the South of Market area.  Nearer to ATT Park. 

Alright, so here we go again.  Looks like I'm moving to downtown San Francisco.  This place was recommended to me, and it looks perfect for what I'm looking for, but it's probably just a little too steep at $1500/mo.  I'd like $1000/mo, but in that area.  I'll go back to Padmapper for a search, but if anyone has specific suggestions I'd appreciate it.  It's no Norway, but it'll do.

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

Here's what I've got...

Or, the Mission, too!

Thanks, Pen.  How much more for parking, if she knows?

Thanks.  I had a friend who just got a job in SF suggest living somewhere like Berkeley and take BART across every day.  Yea or nay?

Edit: There are some decent places, apparently, in Daly City.  I know very little about Daly City.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3142 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM
The 200 block on Golden Gate is in the Tenderloin District.  Not the neighborhood that you want to be walking around at night.  Or during the daytime either.  If you can afford a loft you should be looking more in the South of Market area.  Nearer to ATT Park. 

Alright, so here we go again.  Looks like I'm moving to downtown San Francisco.  This place was recommended to me, and it looks perfect for what I'm looking for, but it's probably just a little too steep at $1500/mo.  I'd like $1000/mo, but in that area.  I'll go back to Padmapper for a search, but if anyone has specific suggestions I'd appreciate it.  It's no Norway, but it'll do.

Flexible, I'd just like to be able to walk to UC Hastings in a reasonable amount of time.  What's reasonable to me is probably unreasonable to most -- when I lived in Santa Barbara I routinely walked an hour each way because I didn't have a car.  (For those who know Santa Barbara, I would walk from the 90º curve at the top of Milpas all the way down to State Street.)  If that's not possible, I have a bike to extend the range.  I have a fairly nice car that should probably be parked in a safe place.  I'd prefer a one-bedroom because family members and friends like to visit me in Brokeland and I hate hearing their snores.  I'd really like to stay close to $1000, but I can probably peak at $1500 for the right place.

Here's what I've got...

Or, the Mission, too!

Thanks.  I had a friend who just got a job in SF suggest living somewhere like Berkeley and take BART across every day.  Yea or nay?

Edit: There are some decent places, apparently, in Daly City.  I know very little about Daly City.

Try the Rodkridge neighborhood in Oakland, right on the Oakland/Berkeley border.  There is a BART station, good restaurants, beer Pubs, book stores, etc.  BART stops two blocks from your destination in SF.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3143 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:56 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 25, 2013, 11:39:03 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2013, 05:39:43 PM

Here's what I've got...

Or, the Mission, too!

Try the Rodkridge neighborhood in Oakland, right on the Oakland/Berkeley border.  There is a BART station, good restaurants, beer Pubs, book stores, etc.  BART stops two blocks from your destination in SF.

Thanks, Stew, I just inquired on a few places I saw there.  Thanks for the tip.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3144 on: July 26, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
The only problem with living on Oakland or Berkeley is getting stuck in San Francisco if you're out late. If I remember right, BART doesn't run all night.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3145 on: July 26, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Tony on July 26, 2013, 08:52:07 AM
The only problem with living on Oakland or Berkeley is getting stuck in San Francisco if you're out late. If I remember right, BART doesn't run all night.

Except on New Year's.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3146 on: July 27, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?content_id=54869890

QuoteBay Bridge issue sends Hamilton to the BART

OAKLAND -- Discovery of a suspicious device forced authorities to temporarily shut down the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge on Friday afternoon, which meant Angels players who didn't take the early bus to O.co Coliseum needed to use public transportation.

That included Josh Hamilton, who went unrecognized for the entire half-hour ride.

"People kind of shied away from me," Hamilton said. "I don't know what the deal is."

Hamilton walked downstairs from the Angels' hotel in downtown San Francisco at about 3:30 p.m. PT to catch the team shuttle and found out that was no longer an option. So he and his accountability partner, Shayne Kelley, bought a ticket for the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and hopped on board a crowded train.

Most of his teammates, including starting pitcher Jerome Williams, had caught the early bus.

"It's awesome, man," Hamilton said. "Nobody notices you. It's cool."

Just ridin' the BART with my accountability partner.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3147 on: July 27, 2013, 09:06:42 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 27, 2013, 08:51:55 AM

OAKLAND -- Discovery of a suspicious device forced authorities to temporarily shut down the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge on Friday afternoon, which meant Angels players who didn't take the early bus to O.co Coliseum needed to use public transportation.

That included Josh Hamilton, who went unrecognized for the entire half-hour ride.

"People kind of shied away from me," Hamilton said. "I don't know what the deal is."

Hamilton walked downstairs from the Angels' hotel in downtown San Francisco at about 3:30 p.m. PT to catch the team shuttle and found out that was no longer an option. So he and his accountability partner, Shayne Kelley, bought a ticket for the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and hopped on board a crowded train.

Most of his teammates, including starting pitcher Jerome Williams, had caught the early bus.

QuoteThat included Josh Hamilton, who went unrecognized for the entire half-hour ride.

I think I'd be hard-pressed to recognize Josh Hamilton among 50-100 other people in a train car, but these two lines make it sound like it should be obvious. Was Hamilton riding the BART in full uniform handing out his baseball cards?

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3148 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:55 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 27, 2013, 09:06:42 AM

QuoteThat included Josh Hamilton, who went unrecognized for the entire half-hour ride.

I think I'd be hard-pressed to recognize Josh Hamilton among 50-100 other people in a train car, but these two lines make it sound like it should be obvious. Was Hamilton riding the BART in full uniform handing out his baseball cards?

Wait.  Was he the one playing the saxophone?
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/S-F-BART-saxophonist-is-fugitive-killer-cops-say-3254890.php

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3149 on: July 27, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on July 27, 2013, 09:06:42 AM

How did BART commuters not recognize the professional .220 hitter in their midst?