News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,073 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3180 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
So, trying to troubleshoot a wireless network issue and I'm at a loss on what's going on. I'm working with a Netgear DGND3700 (which has gotten decent reviews about its range), but the problem is that there the signal is very weak not very far from the router that's placed in a central location. In the same room with the router I'm getting 25Mbps, usually (using speedtest.net app on my phone). On the other side of the wall from this room, I got 23Mbps. I stepped about 4 feet down the hall from that spot and it dropped to 12.5Mbps. 10 feet from the wall, it was at 3Mbps. 20 feet was giving me 1Mbps and lower. The opposite direction (in a secondary kitchen that doesn't have a microwave(read that they could cause interference)), I get even worse numbers.

The layout is a typical (or at least I assume) 2 floor Wrigleyville condo. By that I mean, long and narrow. The router is in the bottom of the 2 floors in the center of the floor. The connection upstairs is nonexistent unless you're in the room directly above. So, any ideas? Do Chicago homes have some special lead-laced drywall or something?

I've tried using the 2.4Ghz and the 5.0Ghz bands (the 5.0 performs much worse). I've changed the channels from auto to fixed. I've used all the modes("up to 54Mbps", "up to 140Mbps"(default), and "up to 300Mbps"). Also, using WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3181 on: September 28, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 28, 2013, 08:46:43 PM
So, trying to troubleshoot a wireless network issue and I'm at a loss on what's going on. I'm working with a Netgear DGND3700 (which has gotten decent reviews about its range), but the problem is that there the signal is very weak not very far from the router that's placed in a central location. In the same room with the router I'm getting 25Mbps, usually (using speedtest.net app on my phone). On the other side of the wall from this room, I got 23Mbps. I stepped about 4 feet down the hall from that spot and it dropped to 12.5Mbps. 10 feet from the wall, it was at 3Mbps. 20 feet was giving me 1Mbps and lower. The opposite direction (in a secondary kitchen that doesn't have a microwave(read that they could cause interference)), I get even worse numbers.

The layout is a typical (or at least I assume) 2 floor Wrigleyville condo. By that I mean, long and narrow. The router is in the bottom of the 2 floors in the center of the floor. The connection upstairs is nonexistent unless you're in the room directly above. So, any ideas? Do Chicago homes have some special lead-laced drywall or something?

I've tried using the 2.4Ghz and the 5.0Ghz bands (the 5.0 performs much worse). I've changed the channels from auto to fixed. I've used all the modes("up to 54Mbps", "up to 140Mbps"(default), and "up to 300Mbps"). Also, using WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption.

Is it an older building? Do you actually have drywall, or is it plaster? If the latter, there's a decent chance that the builders used chicken wire instead of wood lath in the walls. The stuff reeks havoc on wifi networks. On a positive note, it might help protect your Xbox in the event of an EMP.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3182 on: September 29, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 28, 2013, 10:59:16 PM

Is it an older building? Do you actually have drywall, or is it plaster? If the latter, there's a decent chance that the builders used chicken wire instead of wood lath in the walls. The stuff reeks havoc on wifi networks. On a positive note, it might help protect your Xbox in the event of an EMP.

[Blue Lou]Chicken wire?[/Blue Lou]

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3183 on: September 29, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

And possibly shield your phone calls from MLB's spy satellite.

http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/building-a-faraday-cage/
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3184 on: September 30, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
A bunch of stuff

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a new building (built in the late 90s). I suspect it's possible that the pipes behind the kitchen wall could be an issue. I seem to remember some thicker metal piping. Regardless, my next attempt is going to be to try to turn another router into a bridge, then wire it to yet another router that will broadcast the signal (I think it becomes an access point, then) and, hopefully, have strong wifi throughout the house. I haven't done the research in how possible that is, yet. I won't be able to try it until I go back up in a couple weeks though.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3185 on: September 30, 2013, 11:06:25 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 30, 2013, 10:21:29 AM
A bunch of stuff

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a new building (built in the late 90s). I suspect it's possible that the pipes behind the kitchen wall could be an issue. I seem to remember some thicker metal piping. Regardless, my next attempt is going to be to try to turn another router into a bridge, then wire it to yet another router that will broadcast the signal (I think it becomes an access point, then) and, hopefully, have strong wifi throughout the house. I haven't done the research in how possible that is, yet. I won't be able to try it until I go back up in a couple weeks though.

From what I recall, the wireless router should go on the top floor.  Also may want to think about these, http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3186 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
Anyone who bikes to work or used to have tips on sweat management, clean clothes (think Don Draper's drawer of white dress shirts), and generally not smelling like a Busch Stadium bleacher seat?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3187 on: October 21, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 10:09:01 AM
Anyone who bikes to work or used to have tips on sweat management, clean clothes (think Don Draper's drawer of white dress shirts), and generally not smelling like a Busch Stadium bleacher seat?

In the summer, I pack a change of clothes in my backpack. But, then, I don't exactly have to wear a suit to work or anything and am not too concerned about wrinkling my fresh gear.

Beyond that, I think Pen could probably tell you how to rig up a makeshift clothesline in your cubicle for airing out your sweaty unmentionables.

And Huey would probably recommend not packing your fresh clothes in your panniers if you don't want to smell like potato soup all day.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3188 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »

I was forunate, in that my place of employment has 2 private washrooms which had to be accessed via punch code.  I was able to give myself a nice whore bath in the sink.  And yes, I used panniers, in which I packed clean underwear, undershirt, socks, pants and a towel.  In my office I kept a toiletry kit with deodorant, a bar of soap, toothpaste, toothbrush and cologne as well as my dress shoes and belt.

For dress shirts, I would use the dry cleaner at the East Bank Club across the street and keep several cleaned and pressed shirts hung up in my office.  Every two weeks I'd bring in a bunch of shirts while keeping a clean set at the ready.

In general, if you don't have the unique access to getting gussied up at work like I do, and you belong to a health club near where you work, I'd imagine you can do all of this by stopping at the health club to clean up.

Seems like a lot of work but the benefit of cylcing 21 + miles a day made the time, preparaion and effort worth it--no to mention the smug satisfaction that comes from saving $4.50 of CTA fare a day and being able to boast that my whole person was outside in 20 degree temps for a 60 minute commute while nearly everyone else travelled to work encapsulated in tubed metal like a bunch of pansies.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3189 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 21, 2013, 11:07:58 AM

I was forunate, in that my place of employment has 2 private washrooms which had to be accessed via punch code.  I was able to give myself a nice whore bath in the sink.  

This will never not make me lol. The first time I heard you use this expression it was about our softball teammate who saw a group of chicks walk into Cody's and quickly retreated to the washroom. He came out still stinking in his filthy uniform, only with freshly slicked-back hair. Hardy-har-har!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3190 on: October 21, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »
And yes, I used panniers, in which I packed clean underwear, undershirt, socks, pants and a towel.

And potato soup. Mustn't forget the potato soup.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3191 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »

I was forunate, in that my place of employment had 2 private washrooms which had to be accessed via punch code.  I was able to give myself a nice whore bath in the sink.  And yes, I used panniers, in which I packed clean underwear, undershirt, socks, pants and a towel.  In my office I kept a toiletry kit with deodorant, a bar of soap, toothpaste, toothbrush and cologne as well as my dress shoes and belt.

For dress shirts, I would use the dry cleaner at the East Bank Club across the street and keep several cleaned and pressed shirts hung up in my office.  Every two weeks I'd bring in a bunch of shirts while keeping a clean set at the ready.

In general, if you don't have the unique access to getting gussied up at work like I do, and you belong to a health club near where you work, I'd imagine you can do all of this by stopping at the health club to clean up.

Seems like a lot of work but the benefit of cylcing 21 + miles a day made the time, preparaion and effort worth it--no to mention the smug satisfaction that comes from saving $4.50 of CTA fare a day and being able to boast that my whole person was outside in 20 degree temps for a 60 minute commute while nearly everyone else travelled to work encapsulated in tubed metal like a bunch of pansies.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I don't really have the same hoity-toity bathroom access, but if I get here early enough I can probably find a bathroom no one's using for the aforementioned whore bath.  Gold Bond is helping already.  I live up in the hills on some pretty steep roads, so luckily the toughest, most sweat-generating part of the commute is the final leg home when being far from a shower isn't really a concern.

QuoteSeems like a lot of work but the benefit of cylcing 21 + miles a day made the time, preparaion and effort worth it

This, I didn't realize until I started how much extra time and preparation this takes.  I'll get used to it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3192 on: October 21, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

I was forunate, in that my place of employment has 2 private washrooms which had to be accessed via punch code.  I was able to give myself a nice whore bath in the sink.  And yes, I used panniers, in which I packed clean underwear, undershirt, socks, pants and a towel.  In my office I kept a toiletry kit with deodorant, a bar of soap, toothpaste, toothbrush and cologne as well as my dress shoes and belt.

For dress shirts, I would use the dry cleaner at the East Bank Club across the street and keep several cleaned and pressed shirts hung up in my office.  Every two weeks I'd bring in a bunch of shirts while keeping a clean set at the ready.

That's over 1,000 crispy potato soft tacos per year!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3193 on: October 21, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 21, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

That's over 1,000 crispy potato soft tacos per year!

*nods head*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3194 on: November 12, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
Slak putting the (s) on Kerry's last name reminded me of that tendency of people to pluralize last names, and I'm still baffled as to why that is. I had a principal in HS named Mr. Rigg and people called him Riggs all the time. Alshon has became Alshons (ok, it's been Jefferys). Is there an actual reason to this shit, or is it just "dumb people being dumb"?