News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,080 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3210 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
Quote from: Fork on November 13, 2013, 08:49:33 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 13, 2013, 08:31:13 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 13, 2013, 08:21:03 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 13, 2013, 08:07:14 AM
Quote from: Bort on November 12, 2013, 10:44:09 PM
Quote from: PANK! on November 12, 2013, 10:11:12 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 11:07:10 AM
I hear a lot of people around my parents' age do it with business names. "Going to Paneras and then Barnes and Nobles."

That's awesome.  My dad always says "Paneras" ("Hey if you're hungry why don't we go to Paneras?") and it never not makes me chuckle.

My mother in law refers to Whole Foods as "Whole Food."

That just wrinkled my brain.

Wholes Food

Whole's Food

Hole's Food.

I always thought it was a Buttpuddle(s) thing but they do it up here just as much if not more. Down there I think it is more about making it possessive than plural, like you're going to Panera's establishment to get some of their sandwiches and shit.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3211 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 13, 2013, 09:59:58 AM
I always thought it was a Buttpuddle(s) thing but they do it up here just as much if not more. Down there I think it is more about making it possessive than plural, like you're going to Panera's establishment to get some of their sandwiches and shit.

That's the way I've always interpreted it up here, too. "Jewel's".
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3212 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 13, 2013, 10:03:58 AM

Thirded. And I used to assume it was a southern thing until I got here and heard it too.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3213 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 13, 2013, 12:05:47 PM

Thirded. And I used to assume it was a southern thing until I got here and heard it too.

I think what's even weirder is how some words are never singularized or pluralized, despite the fact that other similar company names do get altered.  For example, I don't think I've ever heard someone say "Dominick" or "Walgreen."

I'm trying to think of a few more...probably McDonald's and maybe Starbucks.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3214 on: November 13, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »

Whatever.  Just make sure that you take the 10 to the 405 to get there.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3215 on: November 13, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 13, 2013, 01:54:17 PM

Whatever.  Just make sure that you take the 10 to the 405 to get there.

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3216 on: December 08, 2013, 03:41:20 PM »
Does anybody know whether it's considered poor form to file a purely advocacy-based amicus brief in a case and then turn right around and join the case as an attorney for the party one was just advocating for under the guise of being a mere friend of the court?
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3217 on: December 08, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 03:41:20 PM
Does anybody know whether it's considered poor form to file a purely advocacy-based amicus brief in a case and then turn right around and join the case as an attorney for the party one was just advocating for under the guise of being a mere friend of the court?

How would you join an existing case? You don't get to just because you want to. Joining the party, or as a new party?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3218 on: December 08, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 08, 2013, 06:08:43 PM

How would you join an existing case? You don't get to just because you want to. Joining the party, or as a new party?

As attorney for one of the existing parties. It's a bit complicated, because they've fled the country, although their original counsel remains. Here and here.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3219 on: December 08, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 07:19:23 PM

As attorney for one of the existing parties. It's a bit complicated, because they've fled the country, although their original counsel remains. Here and here.

Interesting.  This isn't covered in law school so I'll have to defer to the REAL lawyers.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3220 on: December 08, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 08, 2013, 07:36:19 PM

Interesting.  This isn't covered in law school so I'll have to defer to the REAL lawyers.

Better luck next time, Gil.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3221 on: December 08, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »

It gets "better," in that the guardian has announced an intention to [attempt to] resign in light of being unable to discharge her duties. Something is going to happen in Suffolk County probate court tomorrow (and I'm pretty confident of what the important part is going to be), but I'm curious about the position that Grandstanding* Teabag Lawyer might ultimately find himself in.

*There's no question that that amicus really, seriously blows. It's sloppily prepared and practically an insult to the court to the extent that it pretends to offer novel legal assistance. In short, nothing but an excuse to inject his ass into the media on this one.

Edit.--Massachusetts is a different case that I had in my head.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3222 on: December 09, 2013, 07:49:22 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 08, 2013, 09:00:08 PM

It gets "better," in that the guardian has announced an intention to [attempt to] resign in light of being unable to discharge her duties. Something is going to happen in Suffolk County probate court tomorrow (and I'm pretty confident of what the important part is going to be), but I'm curious about the position that Grandstanding* Teabag Lawyer might ultimately find himself in.

*There's no question that that amicus really, seriously blows. It's sloppily prepared and practically an insult to the court to the extent that it pretends to offer novel legal assistance. In short, nothing but an excuse to inject his ass into the media on this one.

Without reading anything other than your weird words, I'm going to say you should just kill the cat.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3223 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 09, 2013, 07:49:22 AM

Without reading anything other than your weird words, I'm going to say you should just kill the cat.

It's not like you to so precisely invoke case 64 of Hsüeh-t'ou's Verses on One Hundred Old Cases, Dubbs.

Although the case was clearly decided, [Nan-ch'üan] asked Chao-chou, and let him wander at his leisure within the walls of Chang-an. If no one understands the sandals on his head, he'll return to his home in the mountains and take a rest.

This is the earliest known use of kung-an (kōan) outside of its earlier legalistic context.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3224 on: December 10, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 09, 2013, 09:54:13 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 09, 2013, 07:49:22 AM

It's not like you to so precisely invoke case 64 of Hsüeh-t'ou's Verses on One Hundred Old Cases, Dubbs.

Although the case was clearly decided, [Nan-ch'üan] asked Chao-chou, and let him wander at his leisure within the walls of Chang-an. If no one understands the sandals on his head, he'll return to his home in the mountains and take a rest.

This is the earliest known use of kung-an (kōan) outside of its earlier legalistic context.

And another terrifying instance where I know exactly what Wheezer is talking about.